A humble wish for a future OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by trondkj, Sep 6, 2012.

1. trondkj

trondkj Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    I have one humble wish for a future OM-D. A shutter dial (why not around the lens bayonet as the old OMs), and an exposure compensation dial. So you don't have to push the button to know where you have your camera.
    Fuji has got it. That's how I want to use and handle a camera.

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Instead you have a shutter dial, an aperture dial &/or exposure compensation & all with interchangability & rotational direction (& with all the values viewable in monitor or viewer display). :wink:

That's the beauty of the E-M5 with all its customisability. :thumbup:

3. trondkj

trondkj Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    Yeah! I have the E-M5, so I know. I love that camera. But the dials don't tell you where you are, you have to look at the screen/in the viewfinder. I don't like that much fiddeling :D

4. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    The biggest thing I miss from my old Nikon DSLR's is the top LCD that shows all the camera settings like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, battery level, drive mode etc. With a quick look, I can see everything. I'm guessing it takes a bit less power than having all that info on the back OLED of the camera.

I don't have any idea where/how they'd put something like that on an E-M5 sized body though.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Personally, I like the dials. I find it easy with a quick look to confirm. Here's an upside. Because the dials are virtual, if the camera is off, and you accidentally rotate the dials, then the settings don't change. I've really liked that part.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Exactly. And once you label the dials, there's no way to reassign the functions of each. In A mode, I use the front dial for aperture, but in S mode I use it for shutter speed. Modal buttons/dials aren't always good, but I think in this case they really are necessary.

DH

7. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Eh use it long enough and even the Olympus UI becomes second nature.

8. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Reading the comment about the dials makes me wonder if somehow in the mind of Olympus designer they consider to put the top plate of dials, with low res monochrome LCD (like in digital watches). I think that solve both the top LCD display and dial label. :biggrin:

9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    can i get,

/. Small Center Focus Box as the standard
    /. Custom names for Myset functions

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I'd be interested if they put in a programmable control wheel at the base of the lens mount.
    Like those on canon s90/s95/100 or Sony RX-100.

11. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Separate MF switch up front like dslr... Lock switch for 4way key pad.

12. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh yea. I HATE the big box. I need a center focus point!

13. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Just a little longer on the right side so the buttons can be a little bigger without sacrificing LCD size and a grip that doesn't need to be removed to swap batteries. :)

14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would agree with that. The OM10 is a centimetre wider & if the OM-D was too, there would be enough room to have slightly larger controls & something to grip the side without pressing the buttons & although my hand comes around the back, somehow the buttons aren't activated (maybe because they need that more deliberate press).