A HUGE Thanks to Oly. Cust. Service & Repair

F/Stop

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Y.
So lets start at the beginning....

When I first got the 12-40mm PRO lens into my possession I noticed a slight "rattle" metallic sound when moving the lens around, up and down, while the lens was off the camera. And no it was not the rear element moving. Then this thread happened Olympus 12-40 Ouch!

So me in all of my inquisitive glory and wisdom decided to remove the rear lens mount to see what was causing the noise and to also inspect if the lens had plastic bosses and what size screws were used in manufacturing.

So while removing the rear lens mount carefully, i did find a small washer (shim) laying on top of the circuit board not even close to the actual shim locations. Which was probably the noise..Well, while trying to re-install the rear mount I mistakenly dropped a small washer or two, and a screw. (Which fell into the carpet somewhere and i have yet to find them). In my time of frustration i also broke the solder joint on the small black wire attached to the rear mount. DOH!! Not to mention i could not for the life of me re-install the water/dust protection foam around the rear of the lens itself without disturbing the small shims.

So I sucked up my pride, realized that I can fix many things, but maybe not a lens.. I sent the lens off to Olympus Repair a few weeks ago. Around the 12th of December I believe. I left a small note in the box letting them know of my stupidity in case they were wondering what happened to the lens. But i also wrote that i should have never had to remove the rear lens mount to inspect for a noise. In hind sight i should have never taken it apart regardless, but hey, sometimes i cant help myself.

I checked the repair status a few days ago and it said shipped and out of service! I was like wow, they really covered my stupidity without question..They never contacted me asking me for payment or anything like that.

Well, they even topped that. I noticed on the UPS Tracking that the address it was shipped from was not in Connecticut, where i shipped the lens for repair, but an address in New York state. I thought that was odd. Well the package was delivered this morning on my doorstep, but of course i was at work. I came home about an hour ago, opened the packing slip and box, was expecting to see a repair invoice. nope....

A Brand New, in-box, 12-40mm lens!!!

This is not the first time Olympus has gone above and beyond for repair and customer service. I am a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due, and Olympus deserves much much credit.

Now this opens up some other questions. This lens could have easily been fixed with new shims, screws and some solder. Why wasn't it just repaired and sent back?

Does this mean Olympus is trying to correct for a manufacturer defect, thus replacing my lens with an updated/counter-measured model?

For everyone the serial of this lens is AC5227116. I would like to know what others serials are..

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Now this opens up some other questions. This lens could have easily been fixed with new shims, screws and some solder. Why wasn't it just repaired and sent back?

Does this mean Olympus is trying to correct for a manufacturer defect, thus replacing my lens with an updated/counter-measured model?

For everyone the serial of this lens is AC5227116. I would like to know what others serials are..

Well, just open that bad boy up and check things out. What could go wrong??

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Good for you and Olympus!

The serial # looks like a high, recent mfg. lens

I'm very curious as to what town in NYS the lens was sent from.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Happauge ? Something like that.

Hah! That's an Olympus facility on Long Island where they used to repair cameras before out sourcing repair to Precision Camera in CT. This means that Olympus USA is directly engaged in this lens issue.

BTW, Happauge is about 30 minutes away from where I work. If my 12-40 breaks, I'll try taking it straight there.

Latest threads

Top Bottom