1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A How To Video

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by CharlieL, Feb 8, 2015.

1. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    Here is a how to video I filmed in the my shop. I used an epl-1 for all of the shop video, I used both the epl-1 and an epm-1 for the shaving part. I used two lens a 50mm and 28mm minolta md mount. I used a zoom h-1 for the audio. It was edited with kdenlive and audacity. Basically it was me and my tripod. My wife helped with with shaving portion.

I filmed the video over a period of weeks. I shot in manual and used a gray/white card for exposure and white balance. I had trouble keeping a consistent look with exposure and white balance.

I did not use any lighting, just window light and the overhead fluorescent lights. I used more wide open - shallow depth of field than I wanted to.

I played with the luma and color curves when editing, trying to get a film look. I shot at 30fps with 60 shutter speed the whole time.

It is far from perfect, but it is better than my last effort. I am slowly learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48IznM5CEYs&lc=z12zhfgr0zjvsdyxr04cexwrmwimfvg4vzc0k

• Like Like x 9
  2. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Pretty cool video, I enjoyed watching it! well done

• Like Like x 1
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'm not into blacksmith(?) stuff but I enjoyed the whole video: I like to see people making "stuff". I would only record the ambient sounds higher: grinding, hammering, etc. lowering the volume during voice over. I liked the extra close-up grinding the scales.

As a casual viewer I found the focus always spot on and did not notice any wb or exposure problems. A few scenes where a little dark, you could try to use a white panel to reflect a little more light.

Then why not 1080p?

• Like Like x 1
  4. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    Thank you for your suggestions about the sound, I think you are spot on. Doing the sound the way you suggested would have made for a better sound track. Next time.

I have been toying with 1080, the cameras I have that do 1080 use AVCHD. I have been figuring out how to deal with and edit the avchd clips. 720 is the best that my epl-1 will do, I have been hesitant to bring a newer camera into the shop. The metal dust and grime is hard on electronics.

I recently bought a used gh-1 to use in the shop. The next video will hopefully be in 1080.

Thanks for you help.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Excellent, for once a video where you can actually hear the speaking and understand what's being said. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing; it was so pleasant being able to watch and listen to what you were saying without distracting background noise (especially loud music as seems to be the fashion) and get a clear understanding of what's happening.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Looked great!
    As a fellow knife shaver and former metal costruction worker I enjoyed it extra :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    That was an amazing video, thanks for posting I really enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Excellent in all aspects!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Great Video! I'm a hobby metal worker myself, and have been wanting a small forge like that for a while. I don't suppose you have a how to on how you built that one?

I really enjoyed the thorough breakdown of your process. Your voice over was well paced, and clearly articulated. Kudos to you for leaving in your mistake. It really helps encourage new metal workers, who are going to make lots of mistakes! 2 little criticisms as a metal worker. You left out the process of stamping your mark on the blade(unless I spaced out for a second, it happens). Second, there was no 360 degree look at the finished product at the end. I was hoping for a nice slow look at it from all sides, after watching you put in all that hard work. Maybe something you can do for your next video. Really a great job though, I'm certainly envious of your little smithy. Thanks for sharing this.

10. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    I did not press record while I etched the logo on the blade, I messed up. I have a habit of getting the record button mixed up, on when I think it is off, and on when I think it is off. I know there is a blinking indicator, but I still get confused on occasion.

I do have a video on etching the logo on the blade, it was made in 2012. I look back and cringe at some of my earlier videos. I have learned a lot since then.

The 360 view is a good idea. I have been thinking of ways to do it.

Thanks for the feedback.

11. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Any kind of lazy susan could be rigged up to a motor, or turned by hand. Or you could use the old egg timer trick, since the blades don't weigh much.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Wow. I'd never would have thought that I would endure a 40 min video of someone making a knife. Razor, sorry. I was wrong. Fascinating stuff!

It was quite mesmerising and almost hypnotic lol. I really liked your slow but clear voice and the video was great. I forgot to "check" any quality issues but I guess that just means I didn't find any and it was just great all around. Some more ambient sound every now and then could have been good but that would have waken me up from the trance...

Well done :smile:

13. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    Thank you for your feedback about the ideas about ambient sound.

14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    NIce video. I would love to see more of your knives.

15. figment

figment Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Thank you for sharing. That is some great work..amazing.