A How-To Guide to using Adapted Lenses

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Sure! I have a simple one that only allows 8 degrees of tilt, which is a useful amount. But the adapter itself is kinda clunky, with a lot of play. On the other hand, it was only ~$25.

Desiring more tilt, I then sprung for a very expensive Kipon tilt-shift (12 degrees of tilt, +/- 10mm shift), based on Adorama's affirmative answer to a question about it working on OM-D bodies. When I got it, I found the OM-D's protruding EVF would not allow it to mount. I briefly considered attacking it with a belt sander before sending it back.

Here is my tilt-shift "adapter:" :)
View attachment 701350
I use a suitable extension tube to get round such problems with my bellows. The only bellows I have with movements are for my 5x4 camera. One-day I'll get lens boards made up to use them with my DSLR/MFT cameras, or so I keep telling myself...

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Then there's "focal reducers" or "speed boosters," which are available in both "dumb" and "smart" versions. I'd simply call these "optical" adapters...
But you can do nearly as well for just a bit over the price of the useless bottom tier. The "middle tier" includes the Kipon Baveyes Ultra (~$135) and the Viltrox (~$120).
And the Zhongyi Mitakon Lens Turbo II is pretty good, at ~$150USD.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
And the Zhongyi Mitakon Lens Turbo II is pretty good, at ~$150USD.
Do you have that one? Which mount?

If it's Canon EF, I'll pay shipping to borrow it, long enough to shoot it next to the three focal reducers I currently have! Then I'll put a comparison up on this site.

For a while, I ignored focal reducers that didn't have an Olympus OM option, but the Canon EF mount has such a short register distance, that you can get a tiny EF->OM adapter to make EF stuff — including focal reducers — work with OM lenses. That (and a great sale) is how I ended up with the modestly-named "Viltrox Mount Adapter EF-M2." I can't believe they didn't sneak the words "Turbo" or "Ultra" or even "II" in there somewhere…

Real Name
Jan Steinman
One-day I'll get lens boards made up
Surely, a "petrochemist" has enough skills to do the job himself?

I keep wanting to cobble together something that will put my six focal lengths of Schneider-Kreuznacht glass on µ4/3rds… think I'll adapt it to Olympus OM first, then use the modified Nikon bellows above.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Yes, I've got the Lens Turbo II in Minolta SR ("MD").

I've only got two small complaints:
A. With 200mm+ lenses, sometimes you see a vignette in one corner when the ibis has moved the sensor to one side.
B. My 58/1.2 is less bright than my 58/1.4 when both are used on the LTII. I guess that may be related to the fact the rear element on that lens is huge. I read recently the Metabones are supposed to handle fast lenses well, but dunno if anyone's compared those two lenses.

Would be interesting to know if the other cheap FR's don't have these small issues.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Surely, a "petrochemist" has enough skills to do the job himself?
I did mean I'd do it myself, but I don't see it will use much in the way of my chemistry skills - oils & solvents aren't a good idea, wood & metal will be more likely.
The camera mount will want to fit in multiple positions to make full use of the image circle IIRC the standards have 80mm of rise but only about half that in sideways shift. I would be nice to be able to use panoramic techniques to record a 5"+ image, even if only to confound the FF brigade :2thumbs:

I'll want lens boards for a few of my other lenses too - the longer focal length projector lenses in particular, but even some of the SLR ones might be usable with a hacked teleconverter put in to spread the image circle.

Last edited:

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel

If it's Canon EF, I'll pay shipping to borrow it, long enough to shoot it next to the three focal reducers I currently have! Then I'll put a comparison up on this site.

For a while, I ignored focal reducers that didn't have an Olympus OM option, but the Canon EF mount has such a short register distance, that you can get a tiny EF->OM adapter to make EF stuff — including focal reducers — work with OM lenses. That (and a great sale) is how I ended up with the modestly-named "Viltrox Mount Adapter EF-M2." I can't believe they didn't sneak the words "Turbo" or "Ultra" or even "II" in there somewhere…
Jan,

I have the Canon EF Metabones XL that you could borrow. I use it a fair bit, so if we could work out something with a quick turn around time (a friend going to/from Salt Spring on a regular basis) I'd be happy to lend it to you for your test.

Real Name
Jan Steinman
I have the Canon EF Metabones XL that you could borrow.
That's very generous of you!

But unfortunately, this page indicates it is not compatible with my OM-D E-M1 Mark II. I recall reading that there was some issue with the thickness of the material over the sensor that mechanically interfered with the Metabones XL.

That's too bad, 'cause it would be interesting to try it with my OM 55/1.2, which should make a 35mm ƒ0.77 bokeh monster!

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
That's very generous of you!

But unfortunately, this page indicates it is not compatible with my OM-D E-M1 Mark II. I recall reading that there was some issue with the thickness of the material over the sensor that mechanically interfered with the Metabones XL.

That's too bad, 'cause it would be interesting to try it with my OM 55/1.2, which should make a 35mm ƒ0.77 bokeh monster!
I saw a post here this week that says it worked on their mk2.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Tilt-shift lenses might have a large enough image circle without telecon hacking… but then, I guess you'd just use the lens's existing tilt-shift functions.
I don't have any tilt shift lenses other than a 40mm projector lens. I don't think it will cover 5x4 but would probably be OK for medium format.
Tilt was what originally got me into MFT, when I discovered I could buy a body & an adapter for less than a tile lens for my DSLR.
I think I've got at least half a dozen lenses that will cover 5x4, but none of them are even remotely wide probably all 150mm or more.
Perhaps in time I'll get to try out all the possibilities, but I've got some work to do before hand & there are loads of other projects too...:blush:

Real Name
Jan Steinman
I think I've got at least half a dozen lenses that will cover 5x4, but none of them are even remotely wide probably all 150mm or more.
Yea, there's the "anti-crop" factor.

My Schneider-Kreuznacht Super Angulon 90mm is the Fool Frame Equivalent (FFE) of a 29mm lens, but on µ4/3rds, it's the FFE of a 180mm lens. :-( Even with a focal reducer behind it, it will only do an FFE of 127mm.

My Fotodiox adapters arrived today. The EOS one seems stuck onto the lens, and pin at the side doesn't depress to release it.

The Minolta MD one worked fine, and came off ok. When I put the lens and adpater onto the G9 it asks if I would like to change the focal length. Len is Minolta 50mm f/1.7. The camera recognises it as 35mm, and asks if I want to change it. I left it as is, and the photos looked all right to my eye.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
When I put the lens and adpater onto the G9 it asks if I would like to change the focal length. Len is Minolta 50mm f/1.7. The camera recognises it as 35mm, and asks if I want to change it. I left it as is, and the photos looked all right to my eye.
I always set the correct focal length when using non-native lenses since the camera does not know how to stabilize the sensor (that is on Olympus which uses IBIS). If I leave the focal length on the wrong setting especially way off (let's say 25mm instead of 100) then the image in the viewfinder "jumps" around and images taken with lower shutter speed are blurred.

Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Thanks. So if the lens is 50mm you set it to 50? Or do you allow for the m4/3 sensor difference?
a 50mm is a 50mm is a 50mm, no matter what sensor, camera or universe.... I had to get it off m chest, this insane "equivalence" nonsense that seems to confuse so many of us :mad:
All the camera is "asking" is the for the lens' focal length you are attaching, 4/3 sensor has nothing to do with it.
The sooner you get off the "equivalence" theory the more you will enjoy the system

PS no personal offence, it's mainly directed to those that insist with that nonsense where you might have picked up the info from... :drinks:

Lol - feeling better? :)

Thanks for the information. I thought I had read somewhere that you enter the length of the actual lens, but it does get confusing. So far I'm enjoying the G9 a lot, and wiil even more than now the Leica 8 - 18 f/2.8 - 4 has finally arrived, after sitting somewhere isnce Tuesday, when it was supposed to arrive.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom