1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A How-To Guide to using Adapted Lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Luckypenguin, May 19, 2011.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GX1 has the same feature. Thanks for the information! I got my Konica-m4/3 adaptor in the mail today, and was fiddling with my GX1 w/o lens to make sure I could use the focus assist. You can also tap the screen with this camera (and, one might assume, the other Panasonic touch screen cameras) to enable the feature.

Now my Konica 28mm f3.5 hexanon just needs to arrive!

2. stan2

stan2 New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2013
    useful! thx!

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    OM to M4/3 - technique to keep the viewfinder at full luminance when stopping down?

I do apologise if this has been addressed previously. I have recently taken delivery of an Olympus MF-2 adapter and have an OM 50mm attached. The OMD-E5 set to manual, focus wide open (f1.8) but when the aperture is stopped down the viewfinder dims making it difficult to confirm focus just before pressing the 'shutter'. Is there a way to overcome this, i.e. to keep the viewfinder 'bright' when the lens is stopped down?

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Um, it's a fully manual lens and you've got a live view camera. Meaning that if you stop down the lens, you cut down the light and darken exposure unless you bump up the shutter speed (in full manual mode). If you shoot in Program (O) or Aperture priority (A) modes, the camera will adjust exposure to compensate for the drop in light.

Also, you do not want to be checking focus *again* with the lens stopped down. My order for shooting adapted glass (usually on my 5DII, very sometimes on the Oly):
    - Aperture priority mode
    - Open aperture as wide as it will go, and focus
    - Stop down, meter and shoot (auto-exposure set to half-depress of the shutter)

This stop-down metering approach takes seconds. No point to 'confirming' focus with the lens stopped down, just pop open the aperture and re-check if necessary, then twist it back down. If you're a little worried that you're not stable enough to keep the focus where it needs to be when you stop down, do some focus bracketing (shoot, shift focus back a little, shoot, shift focus forward a little, shoot). It takes some practice, but it is a lot of fun. I do wish the E-M5 had focus confirm chips, though...

5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Many thanks Mattia, that's clarified it for me. I thought I'd read somewhere that the viewfinder compensated to keep the image bright, I must be imagining things.

I have another question (bloody newbies, ah!): when coupling the OM lens to the adapter (MF-2) it clicked into lock, but the MF-2 doesn't appear to have an unlock button, so is it simply a twist anticlockwise to remove the lens from the adapter, or is there a hidden unlock button? Hope that makes sense!
    Many thanks.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    There are two tabs on an OM lens. One is for DOF preview, which is disabled on an adapter. The other is the lock release for the lens. It's become second nature for many photographers to squeeze both to remove the lens, and you forget one is a lock release..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Most do have viewfinder compensation. My g3 does, unless I do a shutter-speed preview. It doesn't upgain in the magnification though.

8. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    You can turn VF compensation on in the Ily bodies as well, but I don't like it because 'ruins' the accurate exposure preview pre-shot. May be handy for critical focus in poor light.

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Usually I just use the histogram display to help with the exposure settings. YMMV.

10. Beukhoven

Beukhoven Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi there, newbe here.

I recently got me a GX7.
    I have this Minolta AF 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 D from 2001.
    af75-300_400.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Do you think it's worthy to get an adapter for that?
    And which one to chose?
    I looked on the Bay but don't know which to buy.
    Help please.

11. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's an AF lens with no aperture control, so I wouldn't bother. It might still work natively on a Sony alpha mount DSLR/SLT.

12. Beukhoven

Beukhoven Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2014
    Thank you mattia.
    I thought about occasionally using it MF because my main thing is macro.
    The adapters I saw on eBay are very cheap so a little experiment with the `beercan´ seemed easy.

13. tip184

tip184 New to Mu-43

May 6, 2014
    Can MFT mounts deal with weight of big legacy lenses?

I'm a new member of Mu-43 (Hello everyone!) with a pretty basic question. Yes - I did search the forum, and I could find nothing; forgive me if I overlooked the answer to this question.

I have an Olympus E-PM1 and I want to use my old (from my film-days) Sigma 70 - 210 mm EOS mount lens. I'm aware of the hassles of using EOSlenses on the mft - I'll deal with them. My concern in more basic: Can the PEN lens mount and tripod support adequately deal with the weight of a legacy 70-210 zoom? It is sooo much heavier than the camera that I worry about the stress on the lens and tripod mounts. If I'm hand-holding the lens I will usually (but not always) have a hand supporting the lens, but if I'm using a tripod or monopod I might not. Do I risk damaging my camera?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

14. Mjbfinch

Mjbfinch New to Mu-43

May 10, 2014
    Lancashire UK
    Michael Finch
    I recently bought a Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Micro (MF) in a local charity. £30. What's the best adaptor for MFT? Or is this focal length too much for MFT - it would become, effectively, 210mm. All suggestions welcome.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You don't say which 70-210mm lens it is, it comes in various versions, some lighter than others. If it's the f4-5.6, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Pretty much any adapter from eBay will do, but if the lens is in excellent condition, you might want to stay away from the absolute cheapies. There is no lens made that is too much for MFTs. A longer FL macro is actually good, as it provides working distance between yourself and the subject.

17. Mjbfinch

Mjbfinch New to Mu-43

May 10, 2014
    Lancashire UK
    Michael Finch
    Thanks OzRay. I was thinking of a good quality adaptor as I got the lens so cheaply. And yes, it is pin sharp and I've yet to put it on a tripod.

18. My father just gave me 3 of his old OM mount lenses. The first is an Access 80-200mm f/4.0 Macro, I can find no mention of this lens anywhere. Next is Sigma 39-80mm f/3.5 Macro which is also a mystery lens. And the last on is a Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Macro, which is listed in the Adapted Lens Sample Images. So does anyone have any info on these lenses?

I will be purchasing an OM to m4/3rds adapter when I eventually get home. At home I also have my old OM1 lens, a 50mm f/1.8 and a Focus(?) 105mm(?) f something. So it looks like I will have a bunch of "new" glass to play with.

19. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have the Vivitar 55 Macro. Great option, as it has 1:1 built in, and the front element is so recessed, it is the only one I don't have a UV filter on. It is a bit odd in the fact that once you get close to MFD, the distance starts appearing vertically, as the focus ring turns more than 360deg, and they ran out of room...

• Like Like x 1
  20. taunus

taunus New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2014
    I want use a Helios 103 53mm f/1.8 lens in a E-M10. That lens have not focus ring and have a bayonet kiev contax mount.

What adapter should I buy?

Thank you in advance

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.