1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A How-To Guide to using Adapted Lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Luckypenguin, May 19, 2011.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    You are most welcome

2. CEB9

CEB9 New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks for the very helpful guide, a newbie looking for some recommendations please. For various reasons I'm still in possession of a few old Nikon and Minolta lenses that I'd love the chance to use with my newly acquired second-hand GF1. I've seen a few adapters advertised on eBay and appreciate the point in the guide about getting what you pay for, but I was wondering if anyone might have specific recommendations of adapters to use or perhaps just as importantly, avoid.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

3. aangen

aangen New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2013
    Savage, Minnesota
    Al Angen
    I bought my EM5 a few weeks back and have been snapping up Konica Hex lenses just for giggles. Hopefully this will not prove to be a silly waste of time. I was hoping this forum would offer good advice, looks like it does. Thanks!

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have had good results with the Fotodiox adapter that I have. It was about $20 on Amazon. I picked up all of the Minolta glass I have used, so it didn't make sense for me to spend more on the adapter than I did on the lenses in the first place! Generally, the cheaper the adapter, the less QC they have (may be a bit too short, focus may swing past infinity).

5. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I have an epl1 and adaptor for MD Minolta. My 40 something eyes in bright light sunlight are telling me maybe a viewfinder I will be needed as an add-on or in the form of an OMD-e5. I've had some really nice shot opportunities but have not been able to dial in just right on the focus often. Have had my share of shots where I liked the composition and lighting, but missed the focus. Hate missed opportunities that in film I did not have this problem. That said, also have had some shots I was extremely happy with.

6. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Hello, and thanks for the effort to make this wonderful thread. I've just put a 50mm f1.4 Pentax Super Takumar on my EM5, and for the life of me, can't get a magnified focus view. I've looked over the manual as well as the Ebook I bought, and quite a few threads in the MU-43 forums. Any help would be appreciated, as these old eyes ain't what they used to be!

7. Roger.Cavanagh

Roger.Cavanagh Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2013
    London, UK
    Roger Cavanagh
    Thanks for the post. I just want to add one additional detail with respect to Canon FD lenses. I have just acquired my first: a 135/f.28. The markings for mounting and dismounting are not "open" and "lock", but "off" and "on". By experimentation, I have determined that the off setting is needed for aperture control to work. So, presumably "on" should be set for mounting the adapter to the lens.

8. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    I'm still confused about focal length. If you adapt a lens designed for a system with a 1.6 crop factor, would you still apply a 2.0 crop factor for purposes of using it on m43 or would the crop factor be some function of 2.0 and 1.6?

To do otherwise would mean that a 28mm FF lens and a 28mm APS-C lens were identical, no?

9. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 21, 2013
    The focal length is the focal length.

If you convert an APS-C oriented zoom (17-50mm) and use the wide end (17mm), on your APS-C camera, you'll have got used to the FOV being equivalent to ~27mm on "full frame", if you ever cared about the crop factor at all. Using the same lens on a mu43 camera, the wide end will have the same FOV as a 34mm lens on full frame.

The glass doesn't change, only the sensor, and while forum posters will talk about full frame equivalents (because it is useful information), I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer do so, they simply state the focal lengths, which are static values (except between the extremes on a zoom ;)  )

In your example, a 28mm APS lens and a 28mm APS-C lens will give the same FOV on a mu43 camera. The APS lens might have a bit more glass area but it will be outside of the sensor.

10. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    Right.

It finally clicked while I was driving the kids to the park this lunchtime. Thanks for the reply.

11. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Dan
    A little confused here, if I mount a MMF-1/2 on my Oly body, autofocus is maintained?

12. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Wow. I am so glad this surfaced. I somehow missed it. I am contemplating this exact thing and this thread will help immensely. thanks.

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Correct. Any of the 4/3-to-:43: adapters with electrical contacts will allows full use of autofocus and allow capture of EXIF data from the lens. In essence the 4/3 lenses will function as native lenses.

The huge caveat is that most of the 4/3 lenses are optimized for phase-detect autofocus (PDAF) rather than the contrast-detect autofocus (CDAF) employed by the :43: bodies. What this means is that AF will be very deliberate (read: slow). It also means that the focus motors on 4/3 lenses may experience more wear when used with :43: bodies.

The notable exception to this is the Olympus 14-54 mk II, which I am led to believe operates nearly as quickly as a the native zooms. It's also quite optically fast and sharp.

You've got at least 4 options for OEM adapters: the Oly MMF-1 (metal construction, solid but heavy, silver color), MMF-2 (plastic construction, lighter, black color) or MMF-3 (weather sealed) or the Panasonic DMW-MA1. I believe there are also (cheaper) versions available from non-OEMs.

14. birdoftwilight

birdoftwilight New to Mu-43

May 9, 2013
    As an example of a cheaper option for a 4/3-to-m4/3 adapter, there is a Viltrox JY-43F. Currently goes new for less than $65 on eBay, shipped. Have no experience with it personally, though.

Luckypenguin, and everybody else who contributed, thank you so much for the thread! I found it extremely helpful!

15. tripleteamed

tripleteamed Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    Possibly a dumb question...if I use a Canon 50mm 1.4 on my Olympus. Is the focal lenght now 100mm because of the 2x crop factor?

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Not a dumb question, just a concept that's pretty tricky to understand. The simple answer is: Yes. Your Canon 50mm mounted on a :43: body will give you a field of view (FOV) roughly similar to that of a 100mm lens mounted on a "full frame" or 135 film body.

The equivalency debate can get pretty sticky, especially when you start discussing DOF and f/ stops, but the simplest thing to do if you are shooting exclusively with :43: is to just try to internalize the FOV offered by a particular focal length on :43: and try to sidestep all the equivalency talk.

By the way, which version of the Canon 50/1.4 do you have? My SSC version is probably my favorite adapted lens.

17. tripleteamed

tripleteamed Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks DeeJayK.

Not sure which version I have. How do I find out?

Do you have an adapter that you'd recommend? i.e. one that lets me adjust the aperture?

Btw, I'm using an OMD....the 50mm has been collecting dust since.

18. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I assume from your question that this is an EF lens (i.e. it doesn't have an aperture ring and is meant for use on an AF body). My experience is with the older, manual FD mount variety.

I haven't used any EF lenses. I'm not really sure it's worth the effort since as you pointed out aperture adjustment is an issue. I think personally, if I were intending to supplant my Canon kit altogether with :43:, I would sell the 50/1.4 and apply the proceeds toward the Olympus 45mm/1.8.

Couple of options I'm aware of:
    1. Get any adapter and just shoot with the lens wide open all the time.
    2. Mount the lens on an EF body and set the desired aperture. While depressing the DOF button, dismount the lens. The selected aperture should be retained when mounted on a standard adapter.
    3. Get one of the adapters which has a built in aperture.

Option 3 is probably your best choice, but you should be aware that it's sort of "faking" the aperture, since the adapter aperture sits between the rear element and the sensor. Also note that although some adapters have f/stops printed on them, those marks are of little value since the adapter has no way to know the focal length of the mounted lens (and by definition f/stop is a ratio based on the focal length) -- other adapters simply mark the adapter apertures numerically (1,2,3,etc.) and this strikes me as the more "honest" choice.

As far as which adapter brand to get, my own choice is generally to just search on eBay and pick up the cheapest one I can find, but then the lenses I usually use are generally thrift shop finds. Rainbow Imaging is another supplier that is pretty reliable.

19. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Thank you for this very informative post.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about using so-called legacy lenses. Take time to focus, to set the correct aperture and shutter speed. Enjoy what earlier generations of photographers did everytime they took a picture.

They had a far better idea of the nuances of photography than the average DSLR user has today.

Dave

20. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Thanks! With the recent announcement of the E-M1 and the supposed improved AF when using 4/3 lenses, the only thing holding me back was the question of EXIF data being captured. I shot a few manual focus lenses on my NEX-7 and while it was pleasant, I did miss the AF and also having EXIF data. Often I would forget which lens I shot the image with, what focal length, f-stop, etc. Now I can slowly build my 4/3 lens collection up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.