A How-To Guide to using Adapted Lenses

edmsnap

Mu-43 Veteran
Olympus cameras are well-suited to using adapted lenses as their image stabilisation (IS) is sensor mounted, however for this to be effective you will need to set the focal length of the adapted lens in the menus. Don't apply any crop factors: if the lens is 24mm then set the IS to 24mm.
After some of my playing today, I have a question about this. I set the focal length to 200mm for my adapted lens, but then when I switched back to my native lenses, this did not automatically update in the camera settings which seems entirely wrong to me. There is no "auto" setting that I can find. If I hook up a native lens, does this setting cease to matter and get set properly by the camera or am I expected to change this manually every time I switch a lens??

Real Name
Nic
The IS menu will display the last manually entered focal length, but this value is ignored when an electronic m4/3 or 4/3 lens is mounted. The camera will read the focal length from the lens, the same as it does when recording exif data to an image. You should reset the focal length value in the IS menu when you swap between adapted lenses of varying focal lengths, but otherwise you don't need to worry about it.

panyuser

Mu-43 Regular
Stupid question:

On eBay I see some thin OM-4/3 adapters, and deeper OM-m4/3 adapters.

I have a GX1. Do I have to buy the more expensive (and deeper) m4/3 adapter, or will the thinner 4/3 model fit? I believe that the mount will physically fit, but the flange distance could be the issue, to get focusing correct. Is this right?

labcoatguy

Mu-43 Regular
The 4/3 adapters are for 4/3 SLRs, not m4/3 mirrorless cameras. They would fit your camera if you already had a separate adapter for 4/3 lenses.

Declan97

Mu-43 Veteran
The 4/3 adapters are for 4/3 SLRs, not m4/3 mirrorless cameras. They would fit your camera if you already had a separate adapter for 4/3 lenses.

Yes, some how i prefered to adapt through 4/3+MMF2 adapter rather than direct, besides i find it to thick also might wanna consider to had another 4/3 DSLR body again someday

An apparent discrepancy...

I have read a lot about the 2x crop ratio concerning use of Legacy lenses on Micro 4/3 bodies, and asked the tech advisor at srb-griturn about the net effect of using one of thier adapters... well he said it was as much to do with what make/model of camera as anything.

I told him I had an Olympus E-PL1 and he immediately said that a focal length multiplier of 1.6x should be applied to any lens used and this would include the claimed Macro ratio!

Can someone assure me of the reliability of this information, as it seems at odds with a lot of what I have read.

:confused:

p.s. Or is there a lot of 'rounding up' going on? Because 0.4x difference between rounded up and reality is a lot!

:eek:

Real Name
Nic
The sensor diagonal of full-frame digital is 43.3mm and for the m4/3 sensor it is 21.6mm, which is about as close to 2x as you can get. The Canon APS-C sensor uses a 1.6x multiplier to calculate equivalent focal lengths.

Technically the macro ratio shouldn't be converted because the macro ratio refers to the size of the object and the size of the projected image on the focal plane, although it is true that a smaller sensor will record an object larger than a larger sensor will if the final images are printed at the same size.

Now that's what I call...

Good feedback, thank's!

I am only just recently dragging myself back through nearly 30 years of abstinance from photography, and as such every answer brings either clarity or usually more questions!

I will keep looking for a prime/short tele macro lens or two of a legacy nature to use with my little marvel!

Cheers!

:thumbup:

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Yes, some how i prefered to adapt through 4/3+MMF2 adapter rather than direct, besides i find it to thick also might wanna consider to had another 4/3 DSLR body again someday
I do the same thing, but know exactly why I prefer it. :) Besides of course the fact that I have actual Four-Thirds lenses which I use, the Four-Thirds mount adapter also allows me to use Four-Thirds teleconverters like the excellent Olympus EC-14 and EC-20. Or the 25mm extension tube as well. Since Four-Thirds has the shortest flange distance of all SLRs (that I know of, and not including Pen F), all other SLR lenses can be adapted so I can use the same high-quality teleconverter on each (at over $550 for a converter, that puts it to much better use!). Also, since most of my commercial lenses are Four-Thirds, if I adapt all my legacy (SLR) glass to Four-Thirds then it allows me to keep the Four-Thirds adapter on my camera so that I can swap between legacy and digital easily.

The only thing I DON'T like about it is the fact that I have more m4/3 bodies than I do 4/3 mount adapters. I like to keep some kind of lens mounted on each camera at all times (I don't use body caps), which limits me on what lenses I can use on other bodies if I have my 4/3 mount adapter tied up with one body. I just need to get more adapters, lol. :) Now that there's a weather sealed adapter coming out, I'll probably pick that up in April so that my current Panny adapter can become a secondary.

nueces snapper

Mu-43 All-Pro
The sensor diagonal of full-frame digital is 43.3mm and for the m4/3 sensor it is 21.6mm, which is about as close to 2x as you can get. The Canon APS-C sensor uses a 1.6x multiplier to calculate equivalent focal lengths.

Technically the macro ratio shouldn't be converted because the macro ratio refers to the size of the object and the size of the projected image on the focal plane, although it is true that a smaller sensor will record an object larger than a larger sensor will if the final images are printed at the same size.
I am so envious of the scientific mind. :tongue:

I just realised something...

A lot of the feedback only concerns comparison between full frame digital and 4/3, my question was directed by my use of lenses used on full size 35mm film area and the E-PL1's 4/3 sensor size!

Is that what the tech bod that said 1.6x was intending?

:confused:

Paul A

New to Mu-43
what "IS_Info" setting for 57mm

Hi,

So it seems using legacy glass with m43 may becoming more popular. Great.
-Question-

How/what do you set the focal length(s) for the IS/Info setting when using lenses(focal lenths) that do not conform with Oly's preset choices?

ie. I'd like to use a 57mm 1.2 but my EM-5_IS_Info...does not have a 57mm setting/choice.
iirc the choices for using 50mm FL(s) range are 50mm and 55mm.

I'm assuming go to the closest neighbor (and how are the IQ results with that route) or better yet turn off IS (which of course[acccording to manual] is not entirely possible with EM-5)

Declan97

Mu-43 Veteran
Paul A said:
Hi,

So it seems using legacy glass with m43 may becoming more popular. Great.
-Question-

How/what do you set the focal length(s) for the IS/Info setting when using lenses(focal lenths) that do not conform with Oly's preset choices?

ie. I'd like to use a 57mm 1.2 but my EM-5_IS_Info...does not have a 57mm setting/choice.
iirc the choices for using 50mm FL(s) range are 50mm and 55mm.

I'm assuming go to the closest neighbor (and how are the IQ results with that route) or better yet turn off IS (which of course[acccording to manual] is not entirely possible with EM-5)
This remind me last Sunday, when I had my e3 upgrade firmware from 1.0 to 1.4, its also mention about this is.

I thinn it will be on the next firmware upgrade and yes it also told that we should go to the next closest fl

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Evolt 3|PL 2

Real Name
Nic
All you can do is choose the closest focal length to that of the lens you are using. At 57mm, you're only out by a few percentage points if you choose 55mm.

You should be able to disable the IBIS on the E-M5 but the unit itself must always remain powered even just to hold the sensor still, hence the constant hum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom