1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A How-To Guide to using Adapted Lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Luckypenguin, May 19, 2011.

1. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    The automated focus assist does not seem to work with my GF1, cheap e-bay adapter and Oly f1.8 50mm. I can use the manual focus and see it turn into focus but only small, not magnified. Any suggestions?

2. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    is it possible to use an OM lens with the following setup:

Camera
    MMF-2 adapter
    4/3 to OM mount
    OM Lens

Only reason I ask is that the 4/3 to OM mounts are cheaper on eBay than the OM to m4/3 mount.

Thanks

3. Yes, see Section (5) in the OP, plus the second example in this post.

4. This is where a GF1 owner might want to step forward and help out...

5. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Bump. ;) 

6. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    By focus assist do you mean the automatic magnification to ease manual focus? It works everytime with my GF1 and cheap adapter. Press the “wheel” on the back and you get zoom, manual focus, and then press the shutter release partially, it goes back to un-zoomed for composition.

Btw what is the firmware version number of your GF1? Because this feature is only available after firmware 1.1 update. Could it be you have older than 1.1 firmware on your GF1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Bump for new Users.....

I'm bumping the excellent thread posted by Luckypenguin for the multitude of new users we've gotten recently...

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 2
  8. Whit68

Whit68 New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2011
    Fantastic article mate. I'll be reading this one a few times to make sure I get it all.

Regards
    Anthony

• Like Like x 1
  9. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Very good article. Just to add my 2 euro cents, I bought in a brick and mortar photography shop an OM->:43: adapter this week-end. The brand is 'kipon' and the seller (a competent guy, whom I bought my e-p1 from 1 year ago) told me kipon was the chinese manufacturer of novoflex, and that basically they were the same adapters but with a tad less Q&A on the cheaper kipon brand. This from a shop that caters mostly to pros and don't even stock :43: cameras because they're a bit on the toy side for their standing - but they'll happily take orders and don't apply an over the top margin on the wholesale price.

I paid circa 80 € (with a 'no question asked' return policy in case something would be wrong), but I have to say the fit is perfect at both ends, and the springs on the OM side of the mount are true springs and not a cheap cut'n'bend of the prongs.

All in all, I'm very pleased of the results so far. I know there are many adapters to snatch for half the price on the 'bay, but 40 € is a decent price for complete peace of the mind.

Cheers,

ps : first test of a silvernose OM 50 mm f/1.8 (already posted on the 'show people' discussion) :

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cuAi8DpvwMsS67pPdb49yQ?feat=embedwebsite">
    mamie.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    "800" width="800" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">De <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/manuel.viet0/OLYMPUSEP1?feat=embedwebsite">OLYMPUS E-P1</a></td></tr></table>

• Like Like x 2
  10. fotofundi

fotofundi Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2011
    Cyprus
    David
    Adapter suppliers

Great Post, Olympus/Panasonic should put a copy on their websites!
    Can anyone give me the name(s) and/or suppliers of adapter manufacturers who machine them to give accurate infinity focus at the lens infinity position? Looking for Olympus OM and Pen F adapters.
    Thanks

11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Here you are new folks....

Bumped for important info for new members.

• Like Like x 2
  12. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Bumping for new comers but also to pose a question they may wonder as well.

I get it right that an OM 28mm on a m4/3 camera (with the adapter of course) is equivalent to a 56mm on a 35mm camera ? i.e. one need to apply the same crop factor of 2x as for the "original" m4/3, right?

13. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    That is correct.

2x factor for FL. Aperture remains the same. ie.

28mm f2.8 - becomes a 56m f2.8 when placed on an µ43 body.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks Alan for fishing out these very useful threads.
    (amazing work penguin...cheers)

15. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Thanks, it was also to verify by simply shooting with the lens :) 

I've got a nice Olympus OM 28mm F2.8 today for 55 pounds and it showed I was correct.
    Thanks about confirming the aperture remains the same.

Aniello

16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    New User Bump

Bump for new users

17. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I quick thanks for the very informative post.

I hadn't really considered using adapted lenses when jumping into m43, but I now find that i'm using them more than native lenses. something about physical manual focus (not by wire) really appeals to me.

I was lucky enough to have inherited a couple of old SLR's (70's era), which have been sitting in storage for years. lenses including (from memory):

- Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm 2.0 (glued to the GF2 for the last 2 weeks)
    - Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm f1.4. (waiting on adapter)
    - Soligor 135mm tele ?? (waiting on adapter)
    - SUN Optics Multi-Zoom 70-210mm ?? (not the most practical, but looks like a beast on GF2)

the downside now is that although the lenses were free I've decided I 'need' an Olympus body for the IBIS. EPL2 is on the way!

thanks again.

18. Eadfrith

Eadfrith Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 30, 2011
    How do you manually focus with the GF2? Can you get a magnified view to help focusing?

19. taphapy

taphapy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    I would like to know if the gf2 is different from other panasonic cameras re above post...

20. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I feel you.

I've got an e-pl2 and an adapter. Now I can't find a reason to mount the kit lenses on it!!
    My OM50mm F/1.8 is glued to the E-pl2! HELP!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.