A How-To Guide to using Adapted Lenses

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
This may have been covered previously (I looked through all the posts), but what do you set the Oly IBIS to when you mount an adapted mf zoom? Short end, long end, or mid-range, or...?
Depends what you're shooting at.
If you tend to use the wide end use that. If you use a random assortment of focal lengths & don't want to change the setting constantly something near the middle will give the best compromise, over correcting wide shots & under correcting tele shots.

Jim Mattison

Mu-43 Rookie
Depends what you're shooting at.
If you tend to use the wide end use that. If you use a random assortment of focal lengths & don't want to change the setting constantly something near the middle will give the best compromise, over correcting wide shots & under correcting tele shots.
Seemed to be the most logical solution, but I'm a noob in the OMD World. Enjoying my EM5 ii.

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
I am buying a Olympus 50-200 SWD + EC14 to my EM1 mkI. Which Adapter is recommeded for this combo? MMF-2, MMF-3? Some other?
Price is not so important, but quality is. Will use this lens mostly for BIF and other animal photos.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I am buying a Olympus 50-200 SWD + EC14 to my EM1 mkI. Which Adapter is recommeded for this combo? MMF-2, MMF-3? Some other?
Price is not so important, but quality is. Will use this lens mostly for BIF and other animal photos.
Hi, the 3 is the only one that's weather-sealed.
Otherwise, the genuine Olympus and Panasonic adapters are all fine.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
This may have been covered previously (I looked through all the posts), but what do you set the Oly IBIS to when you mount an adapted mf zoom? Short end, long end, or mid-range, or...?

Sorry for the late response. Speaking strictly for myself, for zoom lenses with a limited zoom range (2x ~ 2.5x) I set it to the short end. That will make the short end of the range appropriately corrected, and the long end will be under corrected. The way I see it (but correct me if I am wrong) at the long end you will get soms stabilization, but not as much as is required.

Over correcting the short end causes the image to "swim": a small movement by your hand results in a large correction by the sensor. In my humble opinion over correcting is worse than under correcting.

All this of course is easier in lenses with a smaller zoom range. When using my 75-150mm I set it to 75mm and have no problems. If you were to have a 50-200mm zoom lens (is there such a lens?) that might be challenging. In that case the previously mentioned strategy of setting somewhere in the middle might be better.

Another aspect you might want to keep in mind when choosing a focal length for the stabilizer when using a zoom lens is the shutter speed you anticipate you will be shooting at. If memory serves the rule of thumb for an unstabilized system is a shutter speed of at least 1 over the focal length of the lens. Or is it 1 over 2x focal length of the lens? Either way, if you are in bright sunlight you won't need the stabilizer quite as much. Although since it also stabilizes what you see in the EVF it does make it easier to set things up when using long lenses.

My two cents, etc.

Regards, C.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom