A hike on Mt. Hood

Discussion in 'Nature' started by sparklehorse, Aug 1, 2010.

1. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    In the summer there's lots of great hiking on Mt. Hood. This year we had a cool spring and more preciptation than usual, so the snow has been slow to melt out. We're just now able to easily get into the high country where the views are awesome and the wildflowers are in full swing. So on the last day of July I headed up to McNeil Point, which is one of my all-time favorite hikes on the mountain. I used my GH1 for all the photos, and either the 14-140mm, the 7-14mm, or the Oly 50mm f/2 macro. It's a great kit for hiking!

This was the first big hike for my nine year old pooch Kirah, following a pretty major surgery she had a couple months ago:

[​IMG]

The mountain was in all her glory today, with bright sunshine and big puffy clouds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along the way are little fleets of Avalanche Lilys:

[​IMG]

And tons of Indain Paintbrush, more than I've ever seen here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hikers:

[​IMG]

We pass through Endor:

[​IMG]

And walk by a pond:

[​IMG]

Ominous weather brewing over Mt. Adams way:

[​IMG]

A marmot chirps a stern warning at us:

[​IMG]

Farther up the mountain are large meadows of pasque flowers:

[​IMG]

Some call them "Dr. Seuss" flowers, I like to call them "Cousin It" flowers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know what this flower is:

[​IMG]

At the top of this hike is the McNeil Point shelter, our destination for today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shelter is one of several on the mountain that were built in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps.

Kirah enjoying the sights at our luch spot by the shelter:

[​IMG]

On the way down she poses for passing hikers while I shoot macros of the heather:

[​IMG]

Heather macro:

[​IMG]

Parting shot as we head back down:

[​IMG]

Great day on the mountain!

Gordon

• Like Like x 8
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Gordon,
    Thanks for posting. I enjoyed your story as much as the images....
    Shooter

3. Really nice series with great light. Thanks for a good "look see ", I can almost smell the mountain air.

4. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The photos are amazing.. as well as your dog..! I have never thought of raising a dog to carry some of my gears, good idea!

5. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Gordon,

Great series of a beautiful area. My wife's brother who lives in Portland got married in February in the Silxox Hut on Mt. Hood, and we stayed in Timberline Lodge. We enjoyed the skiing and the winter views, but have vowed to see the area in a warmer time as well. Your pictures make me want to go tomorrow. Thanks.

6. shoenberg3

shoenberg3 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    I love the colors and tonality of the photographs

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Gordon, I don't know how I missed this yesterday but I'm awfully glad to have found it today. As Don said, I enjoyed your story as much as your photos. What a glorious day you had and it seems that Kirah did very well. While passing through Endor, she looks as though she might have seen spotted something in all that green.

The pasque flowered meadow makes me feel as though I was almost there - and I certainly wish I had been.

Great story/photo thread!:2thumbs:

8. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi Gordan, beautiful set of images of your hike - love the variety of images. Great work.

ric