1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A Helpful Add-on for the HLD-6 grip.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ross the fiddler, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have included similar details in another thread on the subject of the HLD-6 but thought it worth having it's own thread for others to see.

Many may not be aware that camera grips from Olympus with the 'Lock' function do not completely lock all functions. I discovered this by accident on my E-M5 (& more worryingly so after a firmware update that at first didn't seem like it was OK). The shape of the grip & portrait shutter button (on the HLD-6G) does not prevent accidental pressing as well as the HLD-4 (for the E3, E30 & E5). If the 'lock' switch is set to lock, the portrait shutter button doesn't work, but if it is fully pressed in (when locked) while half pressing the camera's shutter button (or HLD-6P or landscape shutter button) , it will take an exposure. It is the same on the E30 & HLD-4 grip.

To get around this problem on the E-M5, especially as I use an aftermarket grip strap that I will sometimes hold with my hand around the outside of (which tended to press on the shutter button), I have added a leather covered pad to surround the portrait shutter button & front wheel to minimise accidental pressing of the shutter button (even when it is supposed to be locked) of the HLD-6G (portrait) grip which also adds to the holding comfort of the camera in landscape position as well.

The first is the aluminium plate (that got reshaped a little after this shot).
    O3072677-s.

The leather covered pad is fixed in place with thick black double sided tape.
    P3073185-s.

Not perfect but functional (I may remove the leather & reshape it a little more). It also feels better when holding in landscape position too.
    P3073186-s.

P3073188-cr-s.

I hope this can be helpful for anyone else that has similar issues.

:drinks:

2. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Oh wow. It DOES shoot if you press the grip shutter button while half-pressing the body or top grip shutter button halfway! That's weird.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, it does seem to be a bit of an oversight in design & not just for this camera model but on earlier cameras too.