A Hello From Florida

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Slosync, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Slosync

Slosync New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Hello everyone,

Thought I would exit "lurker" status - :bravo-009:

A brief background:

I probably qualify for the senior group since I will be sneaking up on 70 next month. I have enjoyed amateur photography since the 1950's starting out with used Mamiya, Yashica 35mm cameras. Taking slides seemed to be a good way to keep the costs down back then. When Olympus introduce the half/frame Olympus Pen F I couldn't resist the opportunity of saving even more money by getting 72 pictures on each roll of file. I still have that camera and many great memories.

I played around with the Polaroid Instamatic (I really liked the instant gratification of seeing my picture immediately after shooting - :biggrin: ). When digital came of age, I worked my way through the Sony Mavica F91 with a 14x zoom and floppy disk, Sony Cybershot DSC-70, 75, 707 and 717. Then into Nikon D70 and a D200 with a ton of lenses. The load was getting heavier and heavier....

And then along came the G1!! November 2009 I ordered a black G1 from Amazon, it arrived but it was blue. OMG... a blue camera. What would my shooting buddies think - :rofl:

It was decision time for me..... I sold off my Nikon lenses and bought into the 4/3 System with an Olympus E-620 and a bunch of lenses and added a GF1 to boot.

Current photography state:

I now shoot a Nikon D200, Oly E-620, Panny G1 and GF1 and a bunch of 4/3 and m4/3 lenses.

My druthers:

I would love to switch over to one or two small m4/3 cameras and m4/3 lenses. I am reluctant to give up the instant shot-to-shot speed the DSLR's offer. So until some camera manufacturer figures out how to make that happen I will probably keep the E-620. Hopefully there will be a miniaturized cross-over m4/3 version of the E620 soon.....:2thumbs:

Let's see.... why did I decide to post... ah yes,,,,, Hello all!

Don aka. Slosync

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Don thanks so much for your great intro and welcome to mu-43.com, where I believe you'll find yourself at home very quickly. Many thanks for de-lurking!:flowers_2:

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Don, welcome to the forum and thanks for the great introduction!

4. Slosync

Slosync New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Thanks for the welcome

I appreciate the welcome BBW and Amin. Thank You.

Feels kinda like home.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 2
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Don - I'm sure your experience will add to this fine forum.

6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    what lens do you have with the pen f body and do you plan on adapting it to the gf1?

cheers and welcome from nyc

7. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome here Don !

8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

G'day Slosnync thanks for that awesome introduction. I'm quite a bit younger than you so hopefully i'll be able to pick up some tricks you've learnt through the years of photography. I also own the GF1.

I've always been intrigued with the sony mavica cameras. Fancy sony thinking of sticking images on a floppy. Weren't floppies only 1.4mb? Did the camera work good?

anyways nice to see you here,
    icon

9. Slosync

Slosync New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Hi cosinaphile,

I have 2 Pen F lenses, the Zuiko 38mm f/1.8 and 40mm f/1.4 and have used them on my G1/GF1 cameras. I have used a few other lenses on the G1/GF1 as depicted in the picture below. Missing from the picture are a Switar 25mm f/1.4, Cosmicar 25mm f/1.4, and 3 Pentax 110 lenses 18, 25 and 50mm f/2.8 lenses.

Cheers,
    Don

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Slosync

Slosync New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Thank you icon!

Regarding the F91.... yes the floppies were 1.4 megabytes and took pictures at a whopping .8kb each at high resolution no less. :biggrin: While the camera was pretty bulky it was really handy for shooting family shots and occasional bird or squirrel that happened by. The Sony SteadyShot (optical stabilization) worked very well. Gotta love the constantly changing technology, eh?

Slosync

11. Slosync

Slosync New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Thank you Herman!! I'll see you around the forums I'm sure.

Don

12. Slosync

Slosync New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Thank you Bill for taking the time to stop by and for the welcome!! Knowing some of the members from other sites, my experience pales in comparison. None the less, I sure some will benefit from my vast treasure of photography mishaps. :rofl:

Cheers,
    Don