A Guide To The Olympus MYSET Function

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DekHog, Aug 28, 2011.

1. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    After a recent thread, it would appear there is some (understandable) confusion about the Olympus MYSET function which is available in every PEN and some E series Olympus bodies - hopefully this will help clear things up regarding it and help some people to use this very useful and versatile function.

IMPORTANT: First things first - you must take the Olympus user manual and put it somewhere safe; so safe that you'll never find it again should you ever think about needing it - now that's out of the way, down to business.

What is MYSET?
    MYSET is the ability to save frequently (or infrequently) used settings in the camera in a bank of SETS - invoking the numbered MYSET will bring all the settings you saved back instantly. My own E-PL2 has four MYSETS; other bodies may have more or less.

How to start using MYSET?
    The best and easiest way is as follows - set the camera to your normal shooting settings; whatever you most commonly use, and this will be saved as MYSET1.....assuming you have now set your normal settings, follow the screenshots and text below:

Press the Menu button > Use the arrow/dial and OK button to enter the RESET/MYSET menu as shown below.

Now navigate to MYSET1

Now arrow/button RIGHT and you will see the screen below

Now press the OK button - your normal shooting settings are now saved as MYSET1.

It's very good practice to always go into the menu and activate MYSET1 each time you turn the camera on - this can save a bit of a disaster as you could have changed settings previously that you have forgotten about and still be shooting with them. With a bit of practice it takes about three seconds to do this.

How to add further MYSETS?
    Set your camera to your now saved MYSET1 (see below for how to do this); now change whatever you like; Bracketing; Auto ISO; Flash settings; anything. Now follow the steps above to enter the MYSET menu once more. Now navigate to MYSET2 > Arrow/Button right > Press OK button. Done. You now have a totally different set of camera settings in MYSET2. Any further MYSETS are set in the same way.

How to apply previously saved MYSETS?
    Highlight the MYSET you wish to invoke and press the OK button. You will see the screenshot below: Arrow up to 'Yes', then press OK again, and the MYSET is now invoked and active.

There seems to be some confusion regarding the difference between saving settings as MYSETS and invoking previously saved MYSETS. If you are in the main MYSET menu shown below, the easy way to remember what does what is this.

Pressing 'OK' on any of the four mysets will invoke this previously saved MYSET; makes the saved settings active. If you arrow/button right in this menu, it means you are going to save the current camera settings as the highlighted MYSET number. DON'T arrow right if you don't want to save. If you save three MYSETS as shown above and are happy with them, you NEVER need to arrow/button right again unless you want to save a change in settings.

A Few Points To Note:

• MYSETS only apply to PASM modes

• Stating the obvious: If you set your MYSET in 'A' mode, and are not in 'A' mode when you invoke it, the camera obviously can't physically change the mode dial on your camera, but..... if you assign a MYSET to a custom function button, the camera can/will override the dial PASM setting while the Fn (or other custom assigned) button is depressed.

• If you change settings while in a MYSET and turn the camera off, the changed settings will be retained upon switching it on again - get in the habit of invoking MYSET1 on turning the camera on and you won't be caught out with this.

• You can save virtually any settings in a MYSET - very few settings are global, and really none that will effect you for photography (there are a list of these settings in your user manual; the same one you now can't find as you followed the first part of this tutorial very carefully).

A few things that would be very useful but aren't available:

The ability to rename the MYSETS.
    The currently in use MYSET number to be shown on screen somewhere.
    The ability to export MYSETS to your memory card or computer and import them again.

I'm sure a lot of you know all the above anyway, but spare a thought for those who are unsure or new to Olympus cameras.

P.S. Sorry about the rubbish screenshots..... (Nikon Coolpix). Will try and update these this week :smile:
    • Like Like x 28
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Bless You My Son !!!

This is exactly what I envisioned these presets to be and was just hoping someone would figure out how to do it. Can not thank you enough. :bravo-009:
  3. nueces snapper

I should add: Olympus should pay you for this. Why don't they just hire you or someone like you to write their fracking manuals!!

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    They couldn't afford me..... :rolleyes:

Glad it's been of some help.....
  5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Derek, great post. Thanks man!

From your previous postings on the other myset thread, I have spent some time playing with the MySet stuff.

It's a great way to set your camera to a "known state" and then go from there.

In my example, I have the following:

• MySet1:
      Daytime settings, f5.6
    • MySet2:
      Nighttime settings, f1.7, sharpness -1

I'll switch between the two, then change the aperture right away as my needs would require. Because the 2 apertures are different, it's an easy way for me to verify what MySet I just activated. :smile:
  6. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Thanks for posting this info! I just set my E-600 and my E-P1. Unfortunately, I only have 2 presets on both cameras! Wish I had more.

Just curious, what's the difference between this and the Mymode settings?
  7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I'm almost certain, but am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

MyMode can only be applied by holding down the Fn key - hold down Fn key; camera applies previously saved MyMode settings; fire shutter; release Fn key; camera returns to normal shooting configuration.

There was also Custom Reset 1 & Custom Reset 2 on some older models; these function in the same way as the MYSET function; save; apply; shoot (without use of Fn key).
  8. awatahurm

awatahurm Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2011
    I didn't know this.
    Thanks so much for your lucid and concise explanations.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Great post, will have to read it again at home when I have a Pen to try it on.
  10. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I nominate DekHog to rewrite all the PEN manuals and fire everyone at Oly involved in writing manuals Big thank you for clearing MYSET up for all us ignoramuses :thumbup:
  11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    The A Few Points To Note section now slightly updated....
  12. nueces snapper

Who Is Actually Using Myset?

A report please. :smile:

Problems? :confused:

Likes? :biggrin:

Not likes? :mad:

Thank you. :thumbup:
  13. tseanes

tseanes New to Mu-43

May 5, 2012

Thanks for the explanation. This is pretty much how i expected Mysets to work. It would be nice if the whole Mysets menu were assignable to one of the buttons, since that is the first thing you want to access upon turning the camera on. I think I will assign Myset1 (my default settings) to the Fn1 button so I don't have to dig through the menus.

I have a better idea for the manual however. I mean the printed, Concise Version. Mail it back to Olympus with a copy of the warranty card filled out, on the grounds that it is defective. Since only certain pages of the full manual are included, but renumbered, the references in the text to page numbers are erroneous except for pages 1 through 20 (all of which are included in the Concise Version). No possible excuse for that. Maybe if enough people did this Olympus would wake up about their horrible manuals.
  14. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    Or, you can call Olympus and ask them to send you the full printed manual. There is no charge and mine arrived in two days. It even had a waterproof, plastic cover.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    OMG these Mysets are awesome! Ok, I'm a little late from this party and one generation behind with my new E-P3. :tongue: I think it was too good a deal to pass: 9-18 with Oly hood, 17 2.8, 14-150 with Oly hood, FL-36R, VF-2, E-P3 (just under 500 shots fired with original box and accessories), Golla camera bag, extra Olympus BLS-1 battery and two SD cards. I won the auction with 851€. I've already sold the 9-18 and 17 2.8 for 500€. :rolleyes:
    Now that I have two FL-36R flashes and a camera which can control them wireless with TTL, I have found it to be very inconvenient to switch from my "normal" shooting style to external TTL flash shooting. Same applies to switching from "normal" to HDR-shooting. After spending some quality time with the E-P3 I found the Myset menu and now I have all the 4 slots in use as follows:

Myset 1 ("normal"): A-ISO, AWB, RAW, IS1, widest aperture, exposure -0,3 EV, center weighted metering, S-AF, touch screen off......

Myset 2 ("RC TTL flash"): RC mode on, ISO 200, 1/100 sec, f2.8, flash WB, RAW, IS off, average metering, S-AF, touch screen off.....

Myset 3 ("HDR"): AE BKT 5f 1.0EV steps, ISO 200, WB daylight, RAW + LARGE SF, widest aperture, exposure -1.0 EV, IS1, average metering, S-AF, touch screen off.....

Myset 4 ("Movie"):S-mode, HD MJPEG 720p, 1/60 sec, S-AF + MF, 16:9 aspect, IS off, average metering, AWB, A-ISO.

These m4/3 "point & shoots" are very capable little beasts!! :biggrin:
  16. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Some omitted facts in the OP:

The shutter speed and aperture (and ISO) are also saved in the MySet, so if these are settings you want to return to as part of the MySet, you should go into Manual mode and change those settings before recording the MySet.

For instance my Studio MySet defaults to 1/125 f/8...I make sure I'm in Manual mode before recalling the MySet so those settings are also changed; if you were in A mode only the Aperture would be changed, in S mode only the Shutter Speed would be changed, and in P or any other mode neither would be changed.
  17. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    And if you want to set "widest aperture", you have to attach the lens which has the widest aperture and then set the Myset.
  18. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

19. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I appreciate all the contributions to this thread. And as a result I set one of MySets up for 5 exposure HDR at 1.0EV separation. I also included the H(igh rate) exposure to take those 5 frames with little hesitation and fewer inputs from me. The result (in the dim light of my family room at 6AM) was the camera rattling off five shots. Because of the aperture set at f/4, the shutter speed seemed to have a wide range, so the "rattling" seemed almost arbitrary (but of course it made perfect sense considering the EV variation between exposures). The difficulty I foresee is forgetting to put the camera back in the basic mode!

20. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    I recently bought an EM-5. Reading your comment, I called Olympus, and they offered to sell me one for $10. When I said I had read they would send one free, I was told they could do that if I faxed them a copy of my sales receipt. I asked if they couldn't work off my previous online registration of the product, and they said "no".

Since I don't own a fax machine, and also pointed out I no longer owned a horse, I thanked them for their interest. Will try an email with copy of Amazon's statement, and see if that works.