1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A grey and wet weekend in London...

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Pim, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Spent a few days in London this Easter, a grey and at times wet weekend; typical B&W weather. It did make me rethink my opinion about the importance of weatherselaed camera's, bring on the new Oly...:)!

All pics taken with Oly E-PL2 and E-PL3 and assorted native lenses.

Thanks for looking, hope you like one or two...

P4091574-Edit-Edit. P4091531-Edit. P4091526-Edit. P4091505-Edit-2. P4081477-Edit. P4081472-Edit. P4081410-Edit. P4081395-Edit. P4081343-Edit. P4081336-Edit. P4081319-Edit. P4091523-Edit. P4081484-Edit.

• Like Like x 37
  2. eltictac

eltictac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    I love all the symmetry!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Fantastic images! Love the last one - London in one image!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Holy crap those are good. One of the best sets I've seen in a long time. Absolutely love #7 and #11. Nice job!

(Rain, gray, London? Who would have thought!)

5. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Mellow! Yeah I have visited London more often than my creditcard cares to remember, and I have to say grey and wet seem to be a recurring theme... Yet statistics say it does not rain more there than in for instance Paris, then again statistics also say 90% of all statistics are wrong...:)

Thanks again for the nice comments!

6. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Pim - thanks for sharing. Your photos are elegantly composed, very well-thought out. Excellent job!

• Like Like x 1
  7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I bet its not loaded. :tongue:

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

+1 :2thumbs:

9. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Top shots ! Every one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Lovely series !
    C U,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  11. p.h

p.h Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    What a good eye you have. I have shots of every subject here, but none nearly as good. I didn't think it possible to be creative with such well photographed landmarks, you've just shown I was wrong. Another excellent demonstration that it's not about the camera and how the image needs to be about more than recording what's in front of us. And I'm not sure I should thank you, it's also a sharp lesson that although I now have a great camera it's only the start of the road.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Great set of images !! excellent..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Philippines
    Jeremy
    Excellent captures of London's landmarks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great set of strong graphic images that show the capabilities of Mu43 in the right hands.

• Like Like x 1
  15. b-bernd

b-bernd New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2011
    Germany
    I like #6 best, because the arch appears straight and parallel to the upper border. I know how difficult it is to get perfect symmetric pics. Did you use a tripod? (... and are you not as lazy as me who doesn't like to schlepp around with it)
    Best, Bernd

16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Great series Pim.....really enjoyable viewing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Well, it's been NOT raining for AGES.
    This weekend (actually only Easter Monday) has been rainy, but it hasn't rained for ages.
    Actually a few weeks ago we enjoyed LOVELY warm and sunny weather and today's been sunnier as well.

UK is experiencing a few years of dry weather :)

So, no, I was actually expecting a drier weather :p

London, contrary to what you'd expect, is drier than what most people think. Just avoid August :p

Btw LOVE the images. I love the symmetry and the St. Paul Cathedral one (not to mention the stairs!)
    Aniello

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Bernd, no I did not use a tripod. I do always carry a tiny table tripod (that just fits in my bag), however don't use it very often. You would need a wall or bench or something like that to mount it of course and those are never around when you need them (or not in the right place). These shots were all handheld, and the only way to get the pictures as symmetric as possible is to take some time, find the centre of the subject and check all corners of the picture to ensure you get the desired symmetry. I find the VF2 viewfinder very helpful for this, it allows you to focus more on the subject.

Even so, I do quite often have to retake one after reviewing the final picture on the LCD...:)

19. Fantastic study of architecture, geometry, and symmetry. The last shot is a great way to finish the set off!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ah, yes! The camera takes a fraction of a second to focus, and then you take another ten seconds to compose it just right :tongue: I know the feeling...