1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A great day with the OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Terri, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    Yesterday we took out our Razor on probably my favorite ride to date. We started at Henry's Lake, Idaho and rode to Centennial Valley, Montana.

p741098700.

One of the first stopping points was Hell Roaring Creek which is the utmost source of the Missouri River, 3768 miles to the Atlantic Ocean, the 4th longest river in the world.

p192162279.

Here is how I knew that!!
    p80038811.

It was on to Elk Lake.

p493545302.

p591274644.

There was an old homestead near the Centennial Mountains.

p709608170.

p138163037.

p1071979809.

p1071515643.

We rode for about 4 hours and only saw about 5 other vehicles on the entire trip. The scenery was breathtaking everywhere.

p739450839.

We had some friendly critters welcome us when we got back to load up the Razor.

p954013503.

Then we got to enjoy seeing the Pelicans on Henry's Lake.

p157261076.

All images were taken with my Olympus OM-D E-M5 with the 14-42II lens. Some days I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!!

• Like Like x 42
  2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Awesome locations and great images, Terri. You've inspired me to head through that area on our next cross country tour! And isn't it great what an inexpensive, good, general range zoom can do. Looks like your lens spent a good bit of time at 14mm with these images... just as mine would have done, had I been there with the same lens. :wink: I just love the look one can obtain from a wide angle perspective.

3. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    I use wide angle a lot when I am close to really tall mountains. Some of these peaks were 10,000 feet. This area that we visited yesterday is really close to Yellowstone National Park.

4. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Terri... I understand all too well. In fact, I use ultra wide angle whether tall mountains are part of the equation or not. :rofl:

We just finished an 8 month tour of the USA and my 7-14 and 9-18 got more use than any other lenses! :smile: In a couple of months we'll start another 8 month tour of the USA and no doubt, the 7-14 will be my key lens again... along with the 12-35.

5. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    You must have an RV to tour around in. Sounds like a fun life.

6. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    GREAT set Terri..I'll make it through there one day.. :(

• Like Like x 1
  7. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Terri... yes, I'm a recently retired photographer, with a motorhome and lots of time on my hands. I now shoot mostly just m4/3, purely for pleasure, no concern for monetary compensation... that makes me proud to be, once again... tada... an AMATEUR! :rofl: And I love it. :big grin:

THis is the perfect time to be in Idaho and Montana. We just spent some time in Montana before returning to Washington State... this truly is the part of the country to be in for Summer and early fall. Perfect, comfortable weather and gorgeous scenery. I don't mean to gloat, but ain't life grand!?

8. Stunning scenery from some well chosen points-of-view!

9. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    These are stunning!

Image number two is particularly gorgeous, showcasing wonderful dynamic range and colors. It feels very "3D". I used to never get when people used that term, but this is on image where I feel it applies.

Mind me asking what sort of PP you used?(I'm assuming you did). Were these tasteful multi-shot HDRs or just messing around with sliders and curves?

10. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    Wow, what a place to be. Beautiful shots.

11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    another micro 4/3s advantage....

4&5 my favorite of the set. :biggrin:

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You are! Thanks for the (virtual) tour of an amazing area.

DH

13. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    Well this road is off the beaten path for sure. I've lived here all my life and never been there.

14. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    I have kept myself an amateur for the same reasons. I have lots of DSLR gear but since getting the E-M5 have not used it. I just love this little camera. It's perfect for taking on outings. I agree that my home area is perfect for summer and early fall. Now our long winters are another story...... But we do snowshoe and get out. Seeing how much we've loved our little Razor, saving up for a snowmobile might be in our future. Yes, life is grand....most days!!

15. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    Thank you Luckypenguin. Choosing the point of view is important, isn't it?

16. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Great series Terri! That is a magnificent part of the country.

17. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    Glad you like my photo of the creek. I do most of my PP in Lightroom 4. All these were single images, no HDR. I also use a touch of topaz adjust in PSCS5. I put my topaz adjustment on a separate layer and really turn down the opacity. I usually just use one of their presets, often spicify. I like to make my images look realistic, but love enhanced contrast and saturation.

18. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    That's what I kept thinking as we drove through there. We will be back for sure. There are many more miles of roads to explore.

19. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    I always take my small gear when out riding. I can pack it in several layers to keep the dust out. I put my camera bag inside of a canvas bag and then put it inside of a plastic garbage bag. I can't imagine trying to do this with my DSLR gear. Thanks for the compliment on 4&5. The view there was stunning. I've got to go back and ride down that road further. My dad said that there are several more lakes.

20. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    You are welcome. Thank you for taking the time to look.