1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A good pal of mine has abandoned m4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Razer, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    I have this freind that been a Canon user for many years, until last year when he picked up a GH1 so he could use it when we go on hikes in the Summer, it's he with the GH1 that got me into m4/3.

He got so into m4/3 that he also added a EP1, and put all his Canon gear up for sale, which included at the time Canon 50D, 10-22mm, 17-40L, 24-105L & a rather nice 70-200mm F2.8L IS.

Until recently he was happy with his m4/3 setup saying what a breath of fresh air using this kit was.

Until today that is when he phoned me & said, I've just sold all my M4/3 kit, asked him why?

to which he replied as nice as the GH1 & EP1 was he just felt he wasn't getting out of the camera's that he was getting with his Canon setup.

And misses the speed & handling & image quality his Canon gear gave him,also the large selection of glass on offer.

He also said when using the GH1 he felt he had to nurse the camera as it wouldn't take any knocks or bangs when out & about.

Anyroads with the money he got from selling his m4/3 gear he just bought a Canon 7D & picked up a used 17-40 F4L again & a 50mm F1.4.

My conclusion is

I think personally the novelty has worn off with him using m4/3, & the lure of the Canon 7D was to much for him to resist, as he use to alway moan about not having a camera in the Canon range like the Nikon D300.

And after thinking about this, we could see a trend like this in the future, were alot of people have sold on the DSLR's & moved over to m4/3 & once the novelty gone move back to DSLR's, when new exciting models are released in the future.

I personally will not be going back to them,as i like m4/3 setup as it suite me down to the ground for what i use a camera for.

2. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
  3. svenjosh

svenjosh New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2010
    Well it may or may not be the trend because there are a lot of m43 users like me who have other systems and the m43 is complimentary for travel and casual street photos. I have the full set of Nikon D700 with 24-70,70-200 II, 24,35,50,85,100 and 300 VR. But still the GF1 gets used equally compared to the Nikon set.

Sven

4. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    My wife and I are still thinking about getting our first DSLRs. Before, we hesitated about getting them thinking that they're big and complicated. But now, after getting used to the ins and outs of the E-P2/GF1, we're once again thinking of getting a DSLR, particularly the EOS 500D. Our reasons are:

- cheaper (very good kit at SGD 1250)
    - optical view finder
    - fast focusing speed
    - high quality LCD display
    - large variety of lenses
    - image quality

Size is no longer an issue, m43s also become big and heavy if you use adapted lenses. The biggest driving factor right now is auto focus speed and the image quality (well, and price as well).

However, we'd like to wait for a bit as right now, the m43 range is going through a lot of development, and big players are starting to jump in as well (Sony and maybe Canon?). We'd like to see where this goes.

5. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I'm with Sven. My dslr kit serves a purpose for me and my m43 kit serves an alternative purpose. I don't think it needs to be one or the other. It's more like the right tool for job.

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ughh! Back to the weight/size... Never!
    My shoulders can't take it any more.
    Good luck to your friend but he'll be back.

7. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Lol more than likley, as he abit of a gearhead.

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Interesting that anyone should move to m4/3rds because of 'novelty' and decide to sell all their DSLR kit. I'm not ditching my DSLRs until m4/3rds can match the focusing and stracking speed plus offer weather sealing.

Cheers

Brian

9. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I agree with Steve.....it's the tool for the job. But ALSO....the camera with you is the one you shoot.

My 5DmkII and all that glass sit while I shoot with :43:. Sure there are are a few shots that I wish I had my dSLR with me....but it's NOT with me.

The ratio of :43: to dSLR shots is now running about 25:1.

Nuff said.....:smile:

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    As someone who has never used a non-liveview SLR, I can't say I have an opinion there. However, using the EP1 with the kit zoom lens seems really intuitive for me, coming from the P&S crowd. I really don't have much of a choice, because It was a big purchase for me, and I'd hate to lose value. Sure, I have my quibbles about it, but I would with any system.

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Yeah, but you've got an E-3 Brian, and that takes some beating (in all senses of the word)! :biggrin:

12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Actually, I still regret selling my E-1 John... it's the only camera I've ever owned which made me feel good every time I tripped the shutter, pure magic. The E-3 is going to get some exercise this Saturday for a friend's wedding... alongside the E-PL1 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2 :smile:

Cheers

Brian

13. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    reality is a good dslr has a bit of an edge on m4\3 IQ wise....... but it is an albatross around your neck , the tremendous size of big black amorphous lumps like most pro level dslrs are is their undoing, if your a pro and you do weddings................. need the arsenal .....whatever , you keep your kit , its your tools ........

for me the ep-1 and gf1 fill the bill the iq does not let me down and iits small really small
    i can have the gf-1 and some lenses and forget they are in my backpack , that how light it is , ny nikon with some glass is a burden its something i must lug if im to use it

micro 4\3 is almost always with me
    it does not weigh me down , the best camera is the one you have with you

14. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Echo these thoughts and I nearly have the same set as you. For my job I need the Nikon gear, for my hobby and family I have m4/3

15. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    It's exactly the opposite to me; I suffered silently with a DSLR that never felt right, just slightly less bad than the others, and jumped ship as soon as I could toward µ4:3. And I burnt my vessels the next day, selling all SLR gear after reviewing my first 10 pics from the E-P1.

And I'm not looking back. Maybe it's a question of habit, but the E-P1 feels right to me. The AF is pedestrian, but I never shoot sports, nor wildlife. IQ is good enough, the range of lenses enormous including everything adapted/MF. I won't even plunge for a µ4:3 SLR, I'm done with them. The only improvement I would consider is a rangefinder.

But all this thread reminds me of the ramblings from pros in the 40s~50s swearing by their speedgraphic against the smaller format Leica. Sure, LF cameras spank even the mighty red dot brand in pure IQ ; but guess why there are now more 24x36 around than speedgraphics ? Ease of use. The simple truth is human beings are lazy, and between sheer quality and weight, they always choose weight provided quality remains 'acceptable'. µ4:3 is not the best IQ, but it sure is good enough.

16. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    And wasn't that shutter quiet? :cool: You can always buy another, they go at bargain prices now!

Good luck with the wedding - I hope the weather improves!

17. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    ........and now back on topic. :redface: I too believe in not being restricted to just one camera/system. I intend to continue building my E-System but anticipate :43: playing an increasingly significant role in my photography. And I'm also hanging on to my Bronica because...well, you never know! :wink:

18. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    For me, that's a Canon F-1 (the original mechanical one, though I'm told its electronic successor is very good too).