1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A Good E-M1 Guide Is ??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Carbonman, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Bought an E-M1 after lusting for it over the past year. The settings options are overwhelming, far beyond what my E-M10 has available. I used the e-book "Supercharging The E-M10", which was a big help for the much more basic camera. What recommendations do you E-M1 owners have for learning and setting up the E-M1?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I initially set up my EM1 and EM5II to work like my older EM5. I even turned off buttons I didn't need. Then I poked around the menus, read articles, etc., and slowly activated new features as I saw fit. I found that setting the camera up once and for all was simply too much to remember. The gradual approach made the cameras fun to use. JMHO, of course.

3. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    A Good E-M1 Guide Is... A few well charged batteries, a nice cup of coffee, a comfortable chair and a couple of spare hours. I've never found a book the slightest help at all for any of the cameras I've owned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I initially read through biofos.com; How to setup, configure and customise your OM-D E-M1. (not sure if that has been updated much for the newer firmwares though). Also, as I go through the settings, I'll try to make sure I understand what each one does. When there's a major new firmware update, I'll do it again as I re-input my settings.

Barry

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The big thing for me is to understand what each setting does; it's a big step up from the E-M10 menu and I'd like to have something that explains what each new function does. I'll order the book tonight so I have it for light reading over Christmas.

7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I ordered "Mastering The Olympus OM-D E-M1" and should have it and an Andoer LB-EM1 Quick Release by December 10th.

8. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    maybe this will useful

EM1 by Tony Northrup

• Like Like x 1
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Upgrade the E-M1 to firmware version 4. I image the only book that is fully updated for the new features/functions is the corresponding owner's manual from Olympus. If you get a published book that is based on older firmware.....you will be missing lots.

11. Ray Tracer

Ray Tracer New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    If his book on the E-M5 II is any guide, The Complete Guide to Olympus' OM-D E-M1 by Gary L. Friedman (Olympus E-M1 Ebook by Gary L. Friedman) would be a comprehensive yet readable companion. Good feature is that it is available as ebook and hard copy (via lulu.com), so you have a copy to sit and read, and a reference that you can keep on your portable device.

The E-M5 edition certainly eased the initial panic I had when confronted by the menus on my E-M5 II
    Olympus E-M1 Ebook by Gary L. Friedman

12. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I got that book, too. There is a lot in it and I have been going slow but it seems a LOT better than Dave Busch's guide. At least this guy goes through every setting and then tells how he has it set and why, with lots of pictures and illustrations. He even suggests alternatives for various shooting styles. The book is rather information dense so not really light reading.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Scruffy

Scruffy New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I noticed this thread is over a month old, but I just joined this forum yesterday. Here is an excellent tutorial on the EM-1's menu system by an Olympus tech rep giving a seminar at B&H. Over an hour long, but lots of good info.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 3