A good day for waves.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by jfdana, Mar 8, 2013.

1. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    Today seemed a good day for waves, after yesterday’s storm that went out S of here, and so it turned out to be. The “normal scenic” side of the lighthouse was relatively quiet: low tide and wrong orientation. So I walked aways around the other side and scrambled 35' down a ledgey cliff to a rocky beach where I took these photos. For me, a huge advantage of m43 is that I can grab my camera without a lot of fuss and scramble around looking for interesting places from which to shoot. In this case, below the wave tops at times. There were several others shooting from the paved area up at the lighthouse, and I’m sure they took some truly great photos, but for me, the adventure of finding my way to an out-of-the-way place with a really good camera in hand makes for a memorable experience.

All shot w/GH3 and PL 25.

Untitled by John Dana, on Flickr

And the hardest part was keeping the gulls in line; sort of like William Wellman in "Wings."
    • Like Like x 11
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    longing to see more pix from gh3/pl25 combo, my dreamed camera and favourite lens
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Really great shots! I am interested to see successful (ie. dramatic) pictures of waves, because of a failure I had trying to achieve that myself last year:

I had a big disappointment (and learned a composition lesson...) last summer when I came across a quite impressive storm, with fairly large waves (probably circa 10ft high). I took quite a few pics, which all turned out really disappointing.

After a lot of analysis, I decided that the problem was it was a large wide flat beach, and there were simply no vertical features close by, to give a sense of scale to the waves in the photographs. One or two pics I took from further away looked better, since there were a few dog walkers near the waters edge which gave some sense of scale. But by the time I ventured down to the sea myself they were gone, and seagulls don't really cut it as well as humans, or rocks/cliffs etc!

Haven't been near a coastline in the right weather conditions since to try my theory out...
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Beautiful photos, very much worth all of the effort that you went to in order to capture them! :2thumbs:
  6. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I really like the third one.
  7. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    Thanks, everyone, for all your kind comments. The sun came out just as I was getting cold enough to leave, which set up the 3d photo. It was late enough in the day to light the side of the lighthouse, the white breaking wave tops and the beach in the foreground.

coffeecat, your thoughts make sense, using some framing features to set off the waves. Fortunately I was in a place where that was pretty much impossible to miss.

I wish I could say I planned all this in advance, but I seem to have the most fun finding a spot with a lot going on and then just immersing myself in the action. I always go home thinking, "well maybe I got something worthwhile," then plug in the card reader and hope for Christmas morning.

John Dana