a G2 niggle :(

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by noelh, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Noticed a weird off and on issue with the G2 after the latest firmware update.
    The on and off led light stays on after switching off for up to 13 seconds. Normally within a couple seconds of switching off the led goes from green to off. The first time noticed I thought that the camera was left powered up. Nope. A little concerned. Next several times no problem. Seems to happen randomly. Different lens, metering modes, focus modes, battery & sd card. Same problem. After ~1 month it's now just a bit of an annoyance. Hopefully not an indication of an impending major issue.

Anyone else experience this situation with their G2?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Have seen it with the GH2. Sometimes the camera just decides to work on something for a while before turning off. No idea what it's about.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If you turn it off immediately after shooting, the LED will stay on until the buffer is cleared and all data written to the card. Only then will the camera shut down. If you've shot a burst, this can take quite a while.

4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    My G3 does this too sometimes.

5. ttan98

ttan98 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    melbourne
    Hi,

I notice after you switch off the unit, if you press the shutter button the green LED will go off immediately. That's is my observation, BTW I have a G2 unit as well.

6. Llamaman

Llamaman New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2012
    Seems plausible. Could also be sensor cleaning?

7. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    13 seconds is more than needed for sensor cleaning, I'd say it is more likely that the camera is still writing to the memory card.

8. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    Same problem here with my G2. I don't think is a problem about writing on the memory card because I never turn off the camera immediately after shooting. I think is a problem about the EVF/Screen sensor, maybe...

9. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    Just tryed in the menu settings to change the LVF/LCD AUTO "OFF" and the camera shutting off in few seconds. So my intuition was correct...

10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    My friend noticed this also when he flashed the latest version into his G2, I have left mine alone for now.

11. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Same observation here. Doesn't seem to affect functionality, so it's just an annoyance at this point.

12. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    My green LED turns off at the same time the "Lumix" logo extinguishes on either the LCD or EVF.

13. Didn't read up the what or why for the latest G2 firmware update. Just did it. From my understanding Pany bodies should have the latest firmware update before updating any lens firmware. Needing to update the 45-200mm. It's just a little weird as well as annoying when the led randomly decides to stay on for a few seconds after power offing. Played around with the G2. Light sometimes stayed on even when no other controls were touched.

Not sure if I should feel better, but some comfort that it's not just my pany G2 experiencing this glitch. Panasonic Lumix, if monitoring this site a suggestion: fix this hiccup with the next update.

14. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I updated my 45-200 without any issue using my stock G2 body with its original software. OIS seems to be a little better in the 45-200 with the update.