A funny thing happened at the Wal*Mart

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Zariell, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    My son's birthday is coming up and he has totally gotten into photography, both in school and with his old man. My wife and I decide that we will get him his own camera, a E-PM1, since it will allow him to borrow (Steal) my lenses when he needs more.

Well we see at the Wal*Mart, they have one with a kit for only 148.88 on clearance, so we figure thats a great price, well I ask the clerk for one, he brings it out then tells me I HAVE to have a filter for our purchase, that they are an absolute necessity, and he has had on on all his cameras for years. He turns to the wall, scans the choices then looks back at me and says, I'm sorry we don't have any filters for Olympus, the only ones they have is for Canon, and Nikon, and they arent compatible? Now at this I'm barely containing my amusement, I ask him won't they fit on the Oly? He gets very serious and says that only Olympus filters work on Olympus, and the same for Nikon and Canon, he goes on to tell me how the filters are specially designed and will not cross platform...

We came home without the filter, I guess I just will have to look for Olympus filters later. :) LOL

• Like Like x 16
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Bahahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I knew I was doing stuff wrong all this time. Brand mixing miscegenator I am ... going to hell for sure. Oh man, not only did I use the wrong filter but I even put the wrong lens on the wrong camera! Somebody save me! I liked it!

Three friggin' exclaimation points in a row !!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    You my friend are going straight to Camera HELL!!! Along with the rest of us. ;P

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Anyone got a second-hand Hoya body for sale then?
    I might need a Kood too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Wow, 148.88?!?!!! Really?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well, sure...but it didn't include the OEM filter...

:rofl:

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  8. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    It was a hell of a deal, even more so since we got the entertainment value.

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I wonder if Panasonic filters will work ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hell yeah! I wasn't sure what was the most shocking part of that story... the misinformation, or the price! o_O Wow, I wish I could have picked up an E-PM1 for $150. For that price, I would have even settled for a no-talk sale. xD

I thought I got a good deal on my last E-PM1 for $320. I bought it at a Futureshop (a former Canadian electronics store that was later bought out by Best Buy), and the salesman saw that I knew exactly what I wanted and decided to shut up and take my money. That's how you know an experienced salesperson, lol (keep in mind that Futureshop salespeople work on commission).

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Oh dear. I've been using a Canon polarizer on my Olympus bodies for about 30 years (and it's still not scratched!). And to think I thought I knew a thing or two about photography. Goes to show ya.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Maybe Walmart should change its motto.
    Walmart: Always the low price and crap advice!

Seriously, though; when I was in high school back in the dark ages, and working as a stock boy evenings at a discount department store, I was told one day to come in the next with a tie. I was going into the rug department. I knew (and know) NOTHING about rugs. You were expected to wing it as you went. I'm sure this poor guy a Walmart had bosses with the same expectations. Poor kid. I just assume it was a young fellow.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    He was in his 30's, to be fair I was polite to him, it just struck me and my wife as hilarious.

14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    At least if the Walmart guy ever came to England he'd walk straight into a job with Jessops. They'd probably make him their technical expert! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Funny indeed. So confident, so wrong!

• Like Like x 1
  16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Only if they're Panasonic m43 filters. Panasonic filters for P&S cameras are a no-no. :tongue:

• Like Like x 1