1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A funny/odd story I just have to share

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ijm5012, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I just found this story funny and decided to share it here. I was over on DPReview reading a thread where a guy was all excited that he got a great deal on some m43 gear (actually, it was more of a steal than a deal, but a win is a win, right?). He wanted to share his excitement with others on the deal he got (nothing wrong with that, we have a similar thread here on these forums). Said he found the deal on Craigslist, and when he met up with the individual it was an elderly man who had trouble getting around due to hip issues, and couldn't use his camera gear anymore, so he decided to sell it and let somebody else enjoy it.

Nothing wrong or fishy about that story, we've seen it here where elderly people switch to m43 because of the physical demands of shooting with larger format gear, and eventually they need to sell their m43 gear or give up photography entirely. The initial responses were pretty typical, congratulating him on his purchase, telling him he got a great price, blah blah blah.

Then this guy chimes in and asks if there were was any bill/invoice/receipt. I replied back saying that this was an old man making a deal on CL, and it was very unlikely that there was any proof of purchase. I was thinking he was just being a jag-off, questioning the OP as to whether or not he actually got the gear for that price.

But then it took an odd turn, where he said that the gear might have been stolen (mind you, this is a man who can't really get out and take photographs anymore, yet someone is thinking he might have stolen the gear and made a quick get away with it). Someone else then chimes in and says that maybe they're a drug dealer, or selling it for drugs. Again, this is an old man who probably doesn't live near a major metro area, and we now have people talking about how he might have stolen the gear and is flipping it on CL to fund a drug habit.

At this point, I called these people crazy, claiming that they likely have watched one too many conspiracy theory shows on the History channel. They come back with "why didn't he take it to a pawn shop, or sell it to KEH?".

I just had to laugh at this (although it is kind of scary), and question as to whether this is really where we are in our society today. Are we going to question an old man with a physical disability why he's selling his gear on CL, jumping to conclusions that he's stolen it and is using it to fund a drug habit? It's obvious that there are people who are this delirious, but am I the only one who thinks these people are a bit crazy for jumping to this "stolen and selling for drug money" scenario, just because this man didn't have receipts for the stuff he was selling?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    They sound crazy. The only time I might make a receipt for a sale would be for a used car or a gun. Well I did buy concert tickets last night from someone on Craigslist who had a sick child and couldn't go. I did inquire about a receipt, because others on CL had mentioned there were counterfeit tickets being sold, but I sussed the guy out well enough and he was out in the suburbs and unlikely to be scamming anyone. Sure enough they were legit and he even emailed me the receipt, but that's a rare instance. Certainly would not/have not for camera equipment.

I would never sell to a pawn shop or KEH, when I could do better selling myself on here, CL or Ebay. Pawn shop would be the very very last resort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    LOL, those are my thoughts exactly. Would I want a receipt for something that can be easily counterfeited (like tickets)? Yes. Would I want receipts when buying something from a shady-looking individual who wants to meet in a dark ally at 10pm? Yes (although in all honestly I wouldn't go to the meet up, as I've heard too many CL mugging/abduction/murder stories). But from an elderly man who I can see has a physically difficult time getting around? Hahaha no, not at all.

I also second your sentiment of pawn shops. I've never been in one myself, nor do I even know where one is in the city I live in. Like you said, I'd rather sell it on a forum or ebay where I'll get more money for it. The only exception would be if it were something that was difficult to sell (would take a long time to sell). Maybe then I would deal with KEH, but for typical camera gear? I'll just do it myself.

Like I said, I just thought that it was funny that people were making assumptions that this old guy who had a difficult time walking would have actually stolen the equipment, gotten away, and made a listing on CL so that he could flip it for drugs. Every time I say it, it just sounds more and more absurd, hahaha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I always feel a bit iffy about buying commonly stolen items like bicycles off Craigslist, so I try and at least have some sort of a conversation and rapport with the seller to see if he's legit. But camera equipment, particularly from an elderly person? That's not a prime demographic for break & enter felons, as far as I know...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    That is what you get from hanging out on that forum.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    It certainly is for the TSA though :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Do you know the guy posting/bragging on the forum about the excellent deal he got? Did he actually buy it from an old guy or did he buy the gear out of the back of a van parked beneath an overpass? Maybe the poster wasn't on craig's list at all!

maybe he's the zodiac killer. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While I do not normally buy things on CL, and I do usually ask questions from buyers to try and find out if what they say matches what they have advertised, and an elderly disabled man is probably not my idea of prime suspect for fencing stolen goods, it isn't impossible. I would like to say I'm surprised at some of the articles I read about people convicted of scamming people, but nefarious folks come from all walks of life, and I have yet to find any one group of people who are categorically exempt. I'm normally a trusting type, but I also know that anything is possible.

--Ken

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Selling stolen goods is an ancient trade. Who's to know what the truth is here. Unless we have evidence either way it's all rather moot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not suggesting that gear on DPR was stolen, but if you think an elderly person couldn't be doing something criminal then you are naive and kidding yourself. It's pretty easy to imagine a scenario where a younger relative or acquaintance steals the merchandise and then the older person sells it, as criminals are smart enough to know that we are generally biased in our thinking about the elderly.