1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A Full Rich Day (Saturday, June 13, 2015)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tyrphoto, Jun 13, 2015.

1. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The day started out going to the Mark Rothko exhibition at the Seoul Arts Center, basically the Lincoln Center (NYC) of Korea. I was given free VIP tickets so I took my GF along with me. Rothko has been one of my favorite artists since my days at Parsons School of Design so this was a a special treat for me.

Afterwards, we headed to the town of Pangyo, just south of Seoul, or what is otherwise known as Pangyo Techno Valley which is a new development and what they are hoping to become the Silicon Valley of Korea. Both of us had not been there yet but there was a restaurant that we wanted to check out. When we got there, there really wasn't much of anything to photograph except for some architectural details and such as it's a much quieter version of Seoul. But as is with anything, you make the best of the situation and the cards you're dealt.

The following are just a few photos I took throughout the day. I brought out my Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk.II, Fuji X100T with WCL-X100 28mm wide conversion lens, Olympus Trip 35 and of course my iPhone 6 Plus. All the images were taken with the above cameras, minus the Olympus Trip 35 obviously (only shot one roll).

Took the subway to the venue and snapped off this on the escalator ride up.

18772677341_8e8d557d64_b.

At the Rothko exhibition:

18768024905_e642f13570_b.

18582417970_e3e2245a29_b.

18583975889_e7a03cdc23_b.

During the entrance, they told us that nothing other than smartphones were allowed. After I had snapped this, one of the ushers came by and told me that there were only two paintings that could be photographed and would have a camera sign next to them. This wasn't one of them. Oh well. :biggrin:

This was one of the ones that could be photographed. See the little camera sign?

Of course, no visit to an exhibit is complete without picking up some goods at the gift shop which is so conveniently located as soon as you come out of the exhibit. But who could resist the Mark Rothko sketchbooks and refrigerator magnets.

18583488258_c9f8e84e9d_b.

After finishing up with the exhibit, we walked around the other parts of the Seoul Arts Center. This was one of the escalators leading up to the mezzanine of the opera and symphony hall. Not sure what's up with the roll down steel gate but I think Banksy needs to get on down here and work some of his magic on it. :biggrin:

And here's some kind of metal sculpture hanging from the ceiling.

18147338643_1899c248b8_b.

Then we headed over to Pangyo and snapped off a bunch of architectural details, urban geometry and whatever else I found interesting.

18768041015_473e31710f_b.

18581843689_850748dd62_b.

18580230048_71bcfe9a77_b.

After walking around for a few hours, we finally got hungry and went to our destination restaurant called Radio Bay. A quasi-retro diner with modern and industrial accents serving up quasi-American comfort food along with craft beers on tap and bottles. The food was forgettable at best and for the money, quite disappointing. This is about par with western foods here in Korea and although I've found a handful of places where I would take a visiting friend without feeling embarrassed, more times than not, it's overpriced and dreadful. The restaurant only had a few tables when we arrived but was full by the time we paid our check and left.

18766314072_3af160b946_b.

All in all, a great day which ended with mediocre food. Thanks for reading and looking.

• Like Like x 8
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Always good photos tyr! Nice set.

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Excellent photos and accompanying narrative.

(By the way, it's still the 13th June here. ;) )

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Fantastic set. Thanks for posting.

5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Ooops. What the hell was I thinking? :coco:

Duly noted and date changed in title. LOL