A free day in Shanghai

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am traveling to China next month and have a free day in Shanghai. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a photo tour or some good locations to visit. I enjoy shooting on the streets and would prefer to see the older parts of the city where there is still a more traditional lifestyle. The city looks interesting and I would like to make the most of my time there to hopefully make some great photos.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I enjoyed an evening river cruise there. Enjoyed the view from the top of the financial center/tower too. Don't know if its calmed down yet, but even around midnight there was a pretty substantial wait to go up. Our group nearly got into a scuffle with another one, due to a few accusations of pushing in :)
I was a little bit disappointed as the windows were pretty grimy, & lots of reflections made it very difficult to get a good shot

11620012775_58495eada2_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
PudongEvening by speedygz, on Flickr

14427194106_330b29ceef_h.jpg
SWFC by speedygz, on Flickr

We went to some gardens that I can't think of the name, and neither can my wife, but it was a nice relief from the mad hustle & bustle. Sh!t it was hot. In August. Stifling, humid, oppressive hot.

7792853632_c0899c7bd0_o.jpg
IMG_8993-12 by speedygz, on Flickr

30721965084_7452fb3afc_h.jpg
bridge gondala by speedygz, on Flickr

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
I don't know if there are still genuine traditional things left to see in Shanghai if you mean Chinese traditions. There are however beautiful European old buildings near the bund where everybody seems to go and take photos. The food is pretty good and you can find everything you need in convenient stores and there are pharmacies even in the subway. You're looking for traditions in probably the most modern Chinese city, don't get me wrong, if you've never been there, Nanjing Rd and Lujiazui are both nice places to see, crowded but worth a visit.

And Shanghai Zoo is the best I've seen. Don't mistake it for the wildlife zoo.

barry

Super Moderator
Hi,
The French Concession still has some old houses, many of which are now cafes and restaurants. The old alleys ('hutongs') may be pedestrian shopping districts now (have only been to one in Beijing; the traditional buildings were mostly retained).
There are also a lot of Art Deco buildings in that area.
If you have limited time, I would suggest walking around that area or a walking tour; most of the rest of the city is going to be much newer.

Some of the hotels in the Bund are supposed to be nice to view the lobbies, etc. (about 100years old, European architecture).

Shanghai Museum is excellent, the best in China that I've seen (far better than the tiny artifact museums in the Forbidden City).

I have not been here, but possibly interesting. Very possibly tiny though:
Shanghai Old City Wall and Dajing Ge Pavilion
Dajing Ge Pavilion - Wikipedia
Google Maps

Stay away from Pudong unless you like high rises (some nice views if the air is clear (it won't be this time of year) and you pay $$ to go up).
But outside Pudong, you can go up to high bars like the one in JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square for free (buy a drink and enjoy the view or the fog).

Dress lightly; easy to get heat stroke in that weather even if it's not sunny, if you're walking a lot.

You may not have time, but the towns and cities to the west of Shanghai have lots of canals, half-moon bridges, and old villages.
The closest 2 are about 1 hour by car:
Shanghai Zhujiajiao Ancient Town Tourist Zone Google Maps
Zhouzhuang Ancient Town (Northeast Gate) Google Maps
They are quite possibly tourist traps; haven't been but may be going next spring and will stop there on the way to some other towns such as Nanxun and Wuzhenzhen, which are within an hour further west.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Yes there are lots of ancient towns around, Wuzhen, Xitant, Zhouzhuang and etc. Have been to one of those and if you're like me who went during public holidays, this is what it'll look like.

12265265896_f2b323c16a_b.jpg
P2023173_DxO by Kian j, on Flickr

12265327324_4fe1a0359a_b.jpg
P2023290_DxO by Kian j, on Flickr

12264975125_5a6581755d_b.jpg
P2023340_DxO by Kian j, on Flickr

Photos from 2014.

So you're absolutely right they are tourist traps.

Snowonuluru

Mu-43 All-Pro
One day is perhaps insufficient to go to places outside Shanghai, and in any case if it is your first time in Shanghai, there is much to see in Shanghai.

Traditions vary across the country somewhat. Shanghai has its own.

Lonely Planet is a good resource.

Snowonuluru

Mu-43 All-Pro
I find this write up quite good:
Old Shanghai VS New Shanghai - Shanghai Develpment

An old part accessible by the metro system is Qibao. It has kept the older buildings and streets, although it is now a tourist area. Expect it to be crowded during weekend.

A place where I found interesting for street shots was Qipu. Mainly consisting of several multi-storey buildings with stores selling cheap clothing and accessories, the street level offers many opportunities to see locals going about.

If you want to see the Bund, you can of course do so by walking along the wide walkway on the bank of the Huang Pu River. But IMO, the vista from the opposite bank should be a must see, especially at night. For that you have to go to Lujiazhui station and then walk to the river bank.

Google tends not to be accessible there. I recommend downloading Gaode map (English version is available).

Latest threads

Top Bottom