1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A foggy sunrise, through three lenses.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by faithblinded, May 28, 2016.

1. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I went out this morning to catch the sunrise, and look for some critters. I had lousy luck shooting animals, but the sunrise was great. It was not particularly colorful, just a clean golden yellow sunrise in a pale blue sky. But where it met the lingering fog, it made magic. I found a couple nice views along one of my favorite stretches of road, and used three very different lenses and focal lengths, to capture the magic.

When I first cleared the trees and saw the sun coming up, this is the scene that stopped me. I first shot it with the lens on my em5ii at the time: the Oly 17/1.8.
    P5280444-1903x1070.

Unable to change my viewpoint without alot of effort, I grabbed the Olympus 40-150/2.8, and took a couple more considered shots of the vista, at different focal lengths.
    here at 40mm:
    P5280460-X2.

then at 95mm:
    P5280454-X2.

And finally, I shot it at a full 150mm, and got my favorite frame from this spot:
    P5280455-1903x1070.

Not a quarter mile down the road, this view jumped out at me, and I ended up liking this framing best. I typically avoid man made objects in my nature landscapes, but for some reason this composition really struck me as nice. This one is at 40mm with the 40-150/2.8.
    P5280473-X2.

Just 5 minutes later, the fog was almost clear. I was perhaps a mile down the road, when I spotted a nice patch of lingering fog, down an overgrown railroad access trail. I pulled down into it, and managed this shot with the ZD7-14/4 four thirds lens, at 7mm.
    P5280488-HDR-X2.

It's interesting to think about focal length in landscape. As much as we tend to have wide angle pushed as the go to, I find I use telephoto almost as much. In particular, when I have little control over viewpoint, I prefer telephoto, to give some modicum of control. Conversely, if it's easy to walk around a subject and get the exact angle I want, I may prefer a wide or ultra wide angle. I also had the 12-40mm with me, but never used it, or wanted it's range. If my 17mm was weather sealed, I would consider selling the 12-40.

• Like Like x 18
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Very nice. Number 3 for me!

• Like Like x 1
  3. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Thanks. I like that one 2nd best, after 4. The light was really excellent!

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The one at 150mm is my favorite. I love shooting into the rising sun with my 150/2 for landscape.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Thanks mate. That one is my favorite too. Monochromatic colors don't matter a bit with light like that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I agree with the usefulness of longer focal lengths when you can't fully control your viewpoint. I find I often have the small 35-100 attached for hours at a time when hiking, where I can often move forward and back along a trail but not left or right.

I enjoyed the whole series, especially the one shot at 95mm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    Beautiful! I cannot choose just one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Yes, the ability to isolate a desired area with telephoto can absolutely help overcome an inability to change perspective.
    Thanks, that 95mm one is my second favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  9. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Thanks alot Debbie!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I'm with Debbie. I like each one for what it shows and the mood it portrays, you have an excellent eye.

We don't see much fog here in West Texas, it's a fairly rare very few days a year thing.

• Like Like x 3
  11. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Thanks Bruce. I think this is one of my best sunrise shoots, despite it also being one of the most monochromatic.

12. victor.reynolds712

victor.reynolds712 New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2016
    Either Number 2 or 3. They're both beautiful images.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I like the 17 mm and the 150 mm best. One other situation where a telephoto might help is when the landscape is nearly flat. It can work with a wide angle if there is something interesting to put in the foreground, but many times all that comes out of the camera is a flat, featureless and boring image. The long lens will usually enhance any bumps or hills and make things look more interesting. I did a lot of that with the 35-100 at Stora Karlsö.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Thanks mate. I love the 17mm. It's my go to, everything, always with me 'capture what i see' lens. I like it so much I leave the 12-40 at home unless I know I have a specific need for it. The 40-150 I love for landscape, but with my current pack situation, it doesn't come along often enough. I'll figure that out.

Here in Ohio it's mostly flat farmland as far as the eye can see, with a patch of Appalachian foothills in the southeast part of the state. There is also a glaciated river valley near Cleveland, which is home to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in which I spend most of my time. It's nice to be able to drive 20 minutes and see landscape that looks completely different from most of the surrounding terrain. Wide and flat can definitely get boring, without some telephoto isolation.

15. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I like the 40mm best minus the power lines. The foreground really leads into the frame. I used to think that ultra wide was really where it's at for landscape, but this year when I go to Iceland (1 more day...) I will have both ultra wide and telephoto zoom to get a variety of shots.

• Like Like x 1