A Flickr Discussion

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I was confronted over my toast this morning by a notification from Flickr that a visitor had Fav'd three of my photos. I didn't recognise the name and intrigued, went to his Flickr to see what sort of thing he liked to photograph. After scrolling through several pages of trains, planes, insects, half-naked women, and some bizarre photos of other things I didn't even recognise, I was finally brought to a halt with a sudden realisation - I was not looking at his photos at all, I was looking at photos he had Fav'd himself over the months, or possibly years. I'd never fully realised that this was something available on Flickr.

I was gobsmacked - there were hundreds of pages of photos, literally hundreds. And when I did visit HIS photostream I discovered his tastes were equally eclectic. This got me thinking, and a few seconds later I was visiting the photos I had Fav'd on my Flickr for the first time ever. Call me stupid, but I'd never done this before, and I was immediately aware of several things. I now know what focal lengths I like (I obviously need an Oly 300mm), what subjects I like (must buy some new hiking boots, a set of scuba gear, and possibly a helicopter), that I really do like Black and White (must buy a Leica), that I'm too shy to do many portraits (man up, Roddy!), and that I must up my plane and train game as I have never photographed any.

In all seriousness though, visiting photos I have liked over the years for the first time (yes, I really am that stupid) really gave me a great insight into my photographic preferences. A lesson almost, in what I can focus on if I want to take better photographs. The sad thing is that I also realise how much I HAVE to improve, since I would have liked to have taken many of the photos on my Fav's page.

PS: looking through his Favs also made me realise that there are some very strange people out there who I hope I never have to share a railway carriage with :eek:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
This reminds me of back in the day when I used DeviantArt and you could favourite pictures there's as well ... And things could get very weird very fast ... It's kind of like Reddit but for the crazy artists and it has everything from naked women and lots of feet to lots of naked feet on one women (Photoshop is not an universal skill but, for whatever reason, it seems to be treatment for the crazies).
I had one dude who liked my pictures telling me "I love your interface of your pictures" ... And my brain died trying to figure that one out, that would explain the my lonely little neuron in my head being schizophrenic.

Last week I reactivated my old Flickr account that I haven't touched since 2014 and wanted to start fresh so I downloaded all the pictures I had, and thought I have lost, for safe keeping and DAMN ... It might sound prideful but I have grown and learned a lot in the last 8 years (and the most in the last 4).

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You will find people on Flickr and other social media platforms who constantly like/fave posts, and constantly follow other users just to try to get more attention themselves. Maybe they use a script to automatically do the favouriting/following for them. Best not to pay much attention to those kind of people. I think if someone is genuinely interested in your work or not, you will know. Especially on Flickr, where you can see a person's favourites, it is quite obvious who is genuine and who is not.

You should try looking for some groups to join and post photos to, if you haven't already. Try to find some like-minded people to share your photos with.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
PS: looking through his Favs also made me realise that there are some very strange people out there who I hope I never have to share a railway carriage with :eek:

Lol!! Ya think? One of the folks who has faved a few of my photos had pages and pages of naked schlongs faved from all over flickr. That raised a few eyebrows for about 3 seconds.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The Favoriting on Flickr used to be people actually marking a photo as a favorite that they may want to revisit again sometime. So when you got 5 favorites on a photo is was kind of a big deal. But those days are long gone and now the favorites button is a "I was here" button. There are certain groups where if I want 5 faves that day I can just post it there and it will get them.

Personally I still only fave photos that I like, take inspiration from, and would want to go back and look at again sometime. Often time the photo represents the results I would like to achieve in my own photo.

Real Name
Andrew L
I don't think I knew that very adult content was even allowed on Flickr, until I saw other "faves" from accounts which faved some of my photos. Ye gods. I guess I'm old.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was finally brought to a halt with a sudden realisation - I was not looking at his photos at all, I was looking at photos he had Fav'd himself over the months, or possibly years. I'd never fully realised that this was something available on Flickr.
I've had a Flickr account since 2003 but didn't really use it that much until I picked up my GX7 at the end of 2013. By then I was already trained by the Facebook Like UX pattern and have to admit that's the way I use the feature. I wish I used it as intended as then my Favorites list would be more useful. Sigh.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I don't think I knew that very adult content was even allowed on Flickr, until I saw other "faves" from accounts which faved some of my photos. Ye gods. I guess I'm old.
Quite, I felt the same way and now know much better. I saw one photo yesterday, and I am no prude by a long way, that made me drop my toast and I still have not eaten since.

In fact, I have not gone back to Flickr since, just in case the content is still somewhere on my hard drive, winking at me.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I also found out about the adult content quite by accident. With Pro you can look at the stats and see a breakdown of where the hits are coming from. One day I had a particularly large hit rate, almost 3,000. When I looked at the breakdown, one of the the hits was a search for a photo number, let's call it P10XXXX or something. That was a link that you could click and it showed all of the photos on Flickr with that same number. And there it was, schlong-city. Weird.

Also, if you ever checked your profile you'll see that it says your content has been deemed 'safe' by Flickr admin. That is assuming of course said schlongs are not present and you adhere to kitty pictures.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
I was confronted over my toast this morning by a notification from Flickr that a visitor had Fav'd three of my photos. I didn't recognise the name and intrigued, went to his Flickr to see what sort of thing he liked to photograph. After scrolling through several pages of trains, planes, insects, half-naked women, and some bizarre photos of other things I didn't even recognise, I was finally brought to a halt with a sudden realisation - I was not looking at his photos at all, I was looking at photos he had Fav'd himself over the months, or possibly years. I'd never fully realised that this was something available on Flickr.

I was gobsmacked - there were hundreds of pages of photos, literally hundreds. And when I did visit HIS photostream I discovered his tastes were equally eclectic. This got me thinking, and a few seconds later I was visiting the photos I had Fav'd on my Flickr for the first time ever. Call me stupid, but I'd never done this before, and I was immediately aware of several things. I now know what focal lengths I like (I obviously need an Oly 300mm), what subjects I like (must buy some new hiking boots, a set of scuba gear, and possibly a helicopter), that I really do like Black and White (must buy a Leica), that I'm too shy to do many portraits (man up, Roddy!), and that I must up my plane and train game as I have never photographed any.

In all seriousness though, visiting photos I have liked over the years for the first time (yes, I really am that stupid) really gave me a great insight into my photographic preferences. A lesson almost, in what I can focus on if I want to take better photographs. The sad thing is that I also realise how much I HAVE to improve, since I would have liked to have taken many of the photos on my Fav's page.

Another great feature on Flickr that I used was the "Gallery" feature. It's where you create galleries of photos that you like on the Flickr. Thus, it allows one to create awesome collections of some of the best photos online in convenient little galleries to be accessed at any time online. This makes getting your daily dose of inspiration much easier. Also, it allows you to create groups of pix from specific members. And, the best part is, the one creating the gallery can't post their pix in it.

Here are a few galleries I created years ago.
https://flic.kr/y/3fyAPeh
https://flic.kr/y/3f49Gyj
https://flic.kr/y/Y2hcA5
https://flic.kr/y/Y29MyH

If you have galleries on the Flickr, post the links here. Thus we can see what inspires you.

Real Name
Andrew L
Another great feature on Flickr that I used was the "Gallery" feature. It's where you create galleries of photos that you like on the Flickr. Thus, it allows one to create awesome collections of some of the best photos online in convenient little galleries to be accessed at any time online. This makes getting your daily dose of inspiration much easier. Also, it allows you to create groups of pix from specific members. And, the best part is, the one creating the gallery can't post their pix in it.

Here are a few galleries I created years ago.
https://flic.kr/y/3fyAPeh
https://flic.kr/y/3f49Gyj
https://flic.kr/y/Y2hcA5
https://flic.kr/y/Y29MyH

If you have galleries on the Flickr, post the links here. Thus we can see what inspires you.
That's a cool feature, I did not know of its existence. Thanks for the tip!

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I dunno - I had this discussion with Pavel Livingstone Seagull about the art thing. How is a schlong 'art'? In B&W? It's still a schlong, just with no blood. With a tattoo? Painful, but still a schlong. Adapted lens and swirly creamy bokeh? I'm not going down that route... sigh

Nah, my tastes are still for landscapes, insects, spur of the moment stuff, and so on. I even like the odd pussy cat shot too.

Oops, that was close.

NO FOOD? You're kidding?
P1420705.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’m gonna google schlong now. No I’m not, they might be watching....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom