A Flash of Inspiration

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrPhotoBob, Nov 23, 2014.

1. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Good read....

The TTL function for me is something I'm consider for the M43. My concern with my Oly em-5 is the severe unbalanced weight distribution and lack of surface area as far as ergonomic grip with an external flash on top.

As photography has evolved the users are more critical about ergonomics. On the other hand seems we've had acceptance and appreciate smaller form factor and live with less comfort holding smaller bodies. Larger gh3/gh4 bodies are much larger than the "norm" m43 but much more comfortable with flash IMO.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Very good post about the Olympus Flash system MrPhotBob. I had forgotten that Olympus was first with FP High Speed Synch, TTL and the HSS were major changes. Flash photography can be very daunting when learning, digital photography has made this so much easier by immediately being able to view results.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I do not understand the unbalanced weight distribution point or all of the post similar to this, whether that be with a lens or on camera flash.

When I shoot my right hand is on the camera grip and my left hand is under the camera and or lens. Depending on what is mounted on the camera body I move my left hand forward on the lens or rearward towards the body, so where I place my left hand determines the balancing point of the setup. My right hand is just there to stabilize the camera for the controls.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ..... rookies ......

6. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    A large flash on a small body will have some imbalance. Nothing rookie or lack of knowledge about it......

Sammyboy, do you use one body only??? or do you use two if you document weddings or run/gun events?

I use the spider holster system for my secondary body and use an OP/TECH pro Loop strap (Canon professional service CPS strap) for my dlsr's.

I have used my em5 and gh3 documenting one of my family outings. Having the gh3 on my hip using the spider system worked perfectly. I do not own a dedicated M43 external flash on my Oly em-5. Hanging an em-5 with bulky flash on my neck I'd assume it'd have lack of balance especially with the thin strap provided by Oly. Even with an em-5 I would assume the flash would create imbalance. Even the EM-1 has a slightly larger grip but extensive shooting can potentially cause hand cramps. I even use to get slight discomfort when I owned small canon rebel series camera's.

Throwing a panny 14-140 on a tiny em-5 body also creates front heavy unbalanced feel. A flash on top will create a slight top heavy imbalance. Holding the camera is probably going to require a tad more effort vs no flash.

This is where I can see a panny gh3/gh4 more comfortable with large flash.

I'm so far from rookie LOL!!