1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A fixed-lens m4/3rd camera is pointless

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RichA, Jul 31, 2012.

1. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't believe this to be the case. A fixed lens can be optimized for the sensor, and the sensor (with micro lenses, for example) can be optimized for the lens, especially if it's a fixed FL lens. A "standard" flange back distance isn't needed, either, as, again, the whole set up can be optimized for a fixed combination.

The question is really how MUCH better could it be, and how much smaller? If a fixed FL, then it can be much better and much smaller, but not sure on a zoom.

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    That link is a pretty old one. I don't think it would be pointless at all, a nice normal focal length with a good OVF would be a nice second camera. Having a x100 equivalent at a much lower price wouldn't be a bad thing. The sales of the x100 have been really great (albeit to a niche market) from what I can tell.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  5. Age of the link aside, the advantage is that the lens could be collapsed around the sensor when not in use for additional compactness (witness the lens specs/sensor size/body depth of the Sony RX100 and Canon G1X). No need to leave the rear element sitting ~20mm away from the sensor.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    A m4/3 version of the LX7 with 24-90mm equiv. f/1.4 lens would be awesome!

7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    There have been some great fixed lens cameras:

Nikon 35Ti/28Ti
    Minolta TC-1
    Fuji X-100/X10
    Konica Hexar AF
    Fuji 6.4.5, 6x6/6x7, 6x8, and 6x9 rangefinders
    Contax compacts
    Rollei 35mm compacts
    Rollei and Yashica TLRs
    Polaroid cameras
    Widelux and Noblex swing lens panoramic cameras

Fixed lens cameras can be great and they can also be professional.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, the XA is barely smaller than a GF3 pancake combo. For primes, the current setup seems pretty much sufficient.

DH

9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    If they can miniaturize the X100 to X10/RX100 size, that'd be nice. If I ever decide to leave m4/3 that could be a nice pocket cam.

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    It wasn't just the size that the XA1 offered... the clamshell design made for a very pocketable and robust camera.

Anyway I am sure if they took the XA approach they could shave a good few mm all round.

I think it will happen some day... Olympus have digitized the rest of Maitani's other iconic designs the OM and the Pen F... why not the XA?

K

• Like Like x 2
  11. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    The need for telecentricity from the lens kills any real compacts

I doubt we'll ever see a clamshell digital like the old Olympus 35mm. But who knows?

12. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Add the Sony R1 and RX100.

13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    There is no problem for me with a fixed lens camera, and sensor size is irrelevant. After all the X100 served as proof that such a camera, with a large sensor, can be a market success.

What I'd be interested in seeing is a true rangefinder mirrorless, either fixed or IL. Yes, Leica M8/M9 are technically such, but I mean one which also has AF, in short, one with a hybrid "true rangefinder"/EVF setup. The X-series comes close but the optical finder is not a rangefinder.

All that said, a digital version of the Olympus 35RC/RD/SP (same size as the film ones), with either a :43: or 1" sensor and an ultrafast fixed Zuiko lens would probably have me reaching for my credit card.