A Fisheye & Mountains

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Leigh, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Leigh

Leigh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    Squamish, BC
    Before purchasing a Samyang 7.5mm fisheye I'd read that these lenses are a "novelty" or a "gimmick". I don't agree. Of all my lenses this is likely the only one that always comes with me while exploring the wild. Some would imagine that the super wide angle would make shooting easier but it doesn't. I like the challenge of using this lens and making it work. On some occasions I will head into the mountains for a few days with only this lens on my camera.

I will be honest and state that 90% of what I shoot with this lens is not worth sharing but the 10% that lands on the mark instantly becomes some of my favourite work.

It's a very versatile lens. Good for low light, produces nice Star-Bursts and sharp. If I could easily mount filters to it it would be perfect.

Here are some of the pictures I've taken with this lens over the past few years.

Lunar Halo above Panorama Ridge
    by Leigh McClurg, on Flickr

Moonrise on Howard, Matier and Joffre

Garibaldi Lake from Panorama Ridge

Moon Halo above a lone tent on Panorama Ridge

Rappelling into a Glacial Crevasse at Mount Baker

Bivouac on Vantage Peak

Moonlight on Mount Tantalus

Sun Halo in Joffre Lakes Provincial Park

Clear skies above a remote Cabin

Sunset above the clouds on Iago Peak
    • Like Like x 24
    • Winner Winner x 20
  2. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    I wish 10% of my pictures where anything like those shots - amazing
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Peter Campbell
    unreal!!!! so good.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Of all my lenses, the fisheye has a particular purpose. I don't walk around with it when I'm on vacation or anything, but mine is tax deductible because it's the only way I can photography the inside of a bedroom and show it to clients immediately and have them see the entire room. I stand in a corner or the doorway and get all 4 walls. I tell them the square footage of the room so they don't think it's bigger than it really is. Had the 9mm been available at the time I would have bought that instead. ISO would have been 3200 instead of 800, however.

There was a time I was Sony was going to make a tiny RX1 with interchangeable lenses which might have made me jump the m4/3s ship. That ain't happening. And if it does, my current m4/3s set up with the GM1 isn't going anywhere for several reasons: 1) Rokinon Fisheye, 2) body cap lenses + GM1 win vs Canon Elph, 3) 2x crop factor means my small Konica 200mm f4 lens is all I need for telephoto (Tokina 300mm f6.3 is no better than a 12x zoom P&S IMO).

I disagree about the only 90/10 ratio. Or, maybe I just snap few shots than you do ;) I've been stuck with only the fisheye before and what I ended up doing was cropping a lot...and switching to the 15BCL which was more useable.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Stunning pictures. The night sky over the snowy foreground looks other-worldly.

I am considering a fisheye as well, and can see the potential. But, I likely won't be using it in such amazing locales as you!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Breath taking stuff!

How do you find the results you get from defishing it?
  7. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Yeah those are SUPERB !! The eye behind it all is top notch as well ;) Excellent use of gear and the results are just plain stunning with the perspectives worked.

All the best and wonderful work.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Great shots. Sadly, when we talk about the High Country in Australia, Victoria, it simply pales in comparison to mountains in the rest of the world. Envy.
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have to agree with your positive remarks about this lens, it's not a novelty at all. I think I get much more than 10% interesting photos out of it. None are quite as epic as these views, however!

As for defishing, full rectilinear doesn't work so well with a 180 fisheye - way too much corner stretching and UWA distortion. Reprojection to cylindrical, equirectangular, mercator, and panini general tend to work well. Panini general notably allows a controllable range up to fully rectilinear while keeping verticals straight. For vertical shots, transverse mercator and miller cylindrical tend to work better as the others tend to result in output that is uncomfortably tall. There's also stereographic if you want a more pleasant looking fisheye look.
  10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Amazing photos. I completely agree with the notion that Fisheye lenses are not "novelty". That said, I think they are specialty lenses, in the sense that you need to treat them specially and they do give you special photos if you do it right. I was about to post a similar thread about the Olympus Bodycap Fisheye (and it's still coming as soon as I find the time) but it's interesting that others have come to the same conclusion.
  11. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
  12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    If a specific lens helps you produce images that you like and please you, it is not a gimmick. Shoot with what you like and to heck with what anyone else says. :)
  13. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    Very nice! I need to dust mine off and shoot with it more often.
  14. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Awesome shots. I love my Rokfish. Have to say the 90/10 rule applies to all my photos, fisheye or not. ;)
  15. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Amazing shots, looks like you guys are having a great time in some truly beautiful country.
  16. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    Wow. Those are possibly some of the best shots ive seen with the samyang 7.5mm. Not touched mine for a while but seeing these makes me want to use mine again. Amazing amazing amazing.
  17. Bomber

Bomber Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 8, 2014
    Dongara . MidWest of Western Australia
    Amazing pictures Leigh,really good must have been amazing just being there.

Cheers Glen
  18. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Well done. I found it incredibly interesting for mountain use as well. Also, it's helpful when you're photographing near edges you don't wanna come too close too. The perspective and versatility of the lens is incredible. :)
  19. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    As someone with aspirations to improve my wilderness photography, I found these inspirational. Presumably you used a tripod for at least some? Is that something you always pack or only on specific photo trips? I'm loathed to add the weight to my pack but perhaps it is a necessary evil?

I'd appreciate any tips on trioods or indeed any other useful lessons learned on your journey.
  20. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nicely done! I love my Fisheye - so much so that I will actually buy the Oly 8mm F1.8, as the AF will be of benefit to me for underwater stuff (and my daughter, who is impossible to shoot with manual focus!!!).

I bought the Samyang as a novelty, and kept it because it really helps you create different and interesting shots! Love your examples, OP!