A fight over photography gets physical

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by GeBathan, May 20, 2013.

1. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I don't even know what to say...
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If the city police here saw that video they would immediately recruit that mall cop to their team. She'd be a perfect fit.
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    A mall is not public property. You (and she) have no right to take pictures there. The cop was clearly an a-hole, but legally correct if those people were on mall property. The title of this thread is misleading, because there was no "photography right" involved.
  4. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    The mall cop pushed the wrong lady. She never should have messed with a biker chick.
  5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mall security are not police. There may well be uniformed police at the mall but private security guards are not police - not by a long shot. Depending on the state if there is no fence then trespass is not possible (unless inside a building).

Also depends on the state but unless there is immediate danger the security guard is not permitted to touch or detain - that would be assault and possibly battery. The other party is clearly responding with excessive force so also battery. Pretty much a bunch of folks acting very inappropriately. Observe and report is the security guards primary duty. Enforcement is not even on the list.
  6. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    What's the rule on being inside the mall property and shooting away on the truck that fell on the ravine? Does the mall cop still have the right to have the pictures deleted?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Even police officers have no right to confiscate cameras or delete photos. That's a totally different issue than disobeying mall policy of taking photos and being legally asked to leave.

I'd like to know though if that policy even applied like the mall cop was enforcing. Normally a policy like that only applies to inside the mall, for the security of store merchandise. Even then they usually don't mind as long as your photos aren't directed in a store. If this was supposedly mall property, then it looks like we're talking about the mall PARKING LOT, taking photos of a public ravine! Like, wtf? I highly doubt the mall themselves would stand by that woman's actions if they knew about it, though the sad part is that they usually never hear of what really goes on.
  8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Depends on the country but in Ohio this still applies Know Your Rights: Photographers | American Civil Liberties Union

Just who was it that was running the video camera? Notice nothing directed at the videographer ... curious. Ohio has a "one party consent" law for video taping (audio). Funny thing is even in private property generally open to the public videotaping is still permitted so you would think still photography, too.
  9. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    To those positing the legality of shooting photos...

The place in question is a public place despite being private property. That means you can shoot pictures of it or from it. The security officer can't force you to stop taking pictures, take your camera or tell you to delete them.

HOWEVER - they can ask you to leave, and if you don't you are trespassing. You can, however, continue to take photos or video as you leave, post and publish those photos as well.

The rights for taking pictures, publishing pictures and trespass are all separate. You can run fair or afoul of all three independent of each other.

Good reference:

In this case I've got to say the photography wasn't the issue. It was two people who wanted to get in each others face and have a fight. Lucky them. They did.
  10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Haha, one little lady in fancy dress certainly bit off more than she could chew. I can't comment on the legality of it all as I'm only familiar with English law on photographic rights, but the officer has clearly the wrong temprement and is seriously lacking in people skills to be able to do her job effectively. What's the betting her next job will involve asking "Do you want fries with that?" :biggrin:

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That video was awesome. Totally action packed!
  13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Not a lot of maturity shown by either side, but really hard to sympathize with the mall rent-a-"cop." If this really was an issue, she should have called for backup or perhaps alerted the police.

(As a Canadian, I am unsure of the actual rights/legality aspect.)
  14. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    Lol. Looked like a UFC cage match. Personally, I thought it was pretty funny.
  15. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Malls in my area usually have signs posted, clearly visible on the lamposts, about no photography, loitering, etc, and that survellience is being done on their part.

but seriously.. what a bunch of idiots in this one, the photogs, the security, and the biker. I feel for the dude in yellow, who was the only decent person, and he was told to stop because those pyschopaths reveled when the authority was being beaten when it disagreed with them. Just sick.
  16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I concur.

While I'm not particularly proud of judging based on nothing more than physical appearance, that guy was possibly the most unlikely "hero" I've seen in some time.
  17. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    omg, i have no words..

someone needs a calm the f*** down pill.
  18. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I think it is an example of a cross section of ordinary people who were understandably aggreived by the aggressive attitude and arrogance displayed by the security officer. I know that it descended into an unseemly brawl, but the officer actually started it and I think that is why she received little sympathy and no help from those who were there to witness the build up. Uniforms don't come with a guarantee of respect, the wearer has to earn it and this one clearly didn't.
  19. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    How stupid and I would bet, totally inconsistent. If that had been a bunch of giggly high school kids with iPhones or p & s that cop would never say a word.