1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A few with the OM 50/2 macro (MF for FF, not the 43 version)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WT21, Apr 24, 2010.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    A few with my new (to me) 50mm 2.0 macro. Someone posted on DPR that manual focus, if you learn how to use it, could be faster than AF. Not sure if I buy that yet, but I'm definitely getting better at it!

C&C welcome

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    That's a pretty crispy unit you have there!

Bokeh Diem

3. arcueid

arcueid Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    sharp pictures!
    would love to have one for macro works too :D

5. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I just noticed this thread and I can only second Hans-Jürgen; th eimages are looking very good. My favourite is the second portrait. If her pose is natural and that's how you can recognize here it is a great image. The third one, I'm not sure... maybe better in colour? Now the subject in focus get a bit lost. Ah, maybe they will get even more lost in colour?

Thank you for the images

About the Olympus OM50/2 Macro; this is one of my best lenses ever. Maybe we are dealing with sample differences but my copy is as sharp as the newer design (ZD50/2 Macro) wide open, maybe a tad less contrast. The designs are different, the results very similar. The OM version of course a joy to work with, and possible to use with other, also FF, cameras doesn't make it worse.

regards,

/Jonas

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thank you both for your kind comments. Yes, the third shot is not ideal, but I've been shooting flowers with a long telephoto on Canon for a while. This is a different approach with a macro for me, so I'm still learning. I posted it mainly as an example for those who would consider such a lens. I was shooting that day in jpg black and white, so I never had a color version.

I was trying a number of fast 50mm lenses (i.e. around 50 1.4), but I found to get anything that wasn't hazy, I had to stop down to f/2.0 anyway, and here this lens has wonderful sharpness at f2.0, and has wonderful bokeh.

I had read this was a good lens for m43, and the lens lives up to it's praise. I posted these shots to encourage others to seek out this lens. I chose the OM over the E version mainly because the OM could be used on any other camera body up to full frame.

Jonas and Hans-Jürgen -- have you used the OM 90 2.0 macro? I am enjoying the 50, but for macro work, I have to get a bit close. If you have used the 90mm, would it give me a bit more working distance, and is it as good as the 50/2 OM in the other aspects (focus ring, sharpness, etc.)?

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston

8. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    The OM90/2 Macro is a great lens. I know, I have owned not less but three of these lenses...:eek:
    The OM90 is as sharp as the OM50. Actually, it is even a tiny bit sharper, hardly possible to measure but so it is. That makes it sharper than the Leica Summicron-R 90/2 APO ASPH at short distances, and about equal at longer distances. Contrast is moderate to high. The big brother to the 50mm macro one can say.
    The mechanical feel is pretty much the same; turning the focusing ring is, as people sometimes put it, a butter smooth experience, the aperture ring has click stops at full steps only (which I like) but distinct. The aperture ring is located at the rear end of the lens as opposed to most other OM lenses.
    Yes, the working distance is longer so if you need that go for it. I sold my last one a couple of days ago only but they show up regularly at eBay and other places.

Here are two oldies, still online:
    First from the 50mm:
    [​IMG]

and this second one from the OM90/2 taken november 2008 I think trying out the lens on my then new G1:
    [​IMG]
    Above: The depicted part of the stem and bud is about 30mm.

Olympus has always made stellar macro lenses and the 90/2 is no exception. That said, a Vivitar (or a sibling) 90/2.5 is also very good and doesn't cost as much.

regards,

/Jonas

9. Thanks WT21 for your accolade - I´ll pass it to my family, portrait success is all by the subject.
    Never got a 2/90 for a reasonable price, and now I know - Jonas had them all :)). No, I never were into macro enough, just enough for collecting basic knowhow; left me with one of those Vivitar sibblings Jonas mentioned - in my case a 2,8/100, done by Kiron and not a bad lens; attached photo of the combo done with E3/OM 2/50 at f2,8 as reference to the topic btw :). Thanks for reminding, Jonas - took the opportunity to put it out of my "maybe one time again"-box ("dead money box" as my wife calls it) and made few quick (and uninspired) test shots (filed in personal gallery). Like Jonas I would not hesitate to recommend it for Ft/Mft; the half stop isn´t missed for macro (and 90 is too long for regular portrait work of course) and makes it for a quarter of the price of the OM. Big lens, very sturdy, very versatile (goes to 1:1 for small film format), nice detail even nearly wide open, fine rendering IMO, best on tripod; please see example plus 100%-crop attached. Btw another item found in this "dead"-box is a Vivitar 2x macro converter - works up to infinity, makes a pretty strange combination with 100/E-P2 - a "400"-macro-lens, first results by far not as bad as "macro-converters" usually suggest.
    Best
    Hans-Jürgen
    e-p_mit_Vivitar_100_macro_4295265. vivitar_2_4293405-1. vivitar_2_crop_100_4293405-2.