A few shots before hiatus

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Ray Sachs, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'll leave you folks with a few shots, two B&W from a street festival last week (trying to get to know the 14-150) and two from my daughter's college graduation last month that I like enough to put up (she's not in either, btw).

I'm off tomorrow for 3 1/2 weeks in Europe, during which I'll no doubt take LOTS of photos. But its a 25th Anniversary and two 50th birthdays trip, so the emphasis won't be on photography! I'll no doubt regale you with way too many travel shots when I get back, but I expect most of what I take will just be documentary rather than interesting, so I'll try to spare you all but a few.

Have a nice July!

-Ray

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4771463260/" title="First Thursday by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1388" height="1050" alt="First Thursday"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4771463188/" title="First Thursday 2 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"881" height="1050" alt="First Thursday 2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4739487903/" title="Hugs by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1365" height="1050" alt="Hugs"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4739488061/" title="Grins and Bubbles by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"825" height="1050" alt="Grins and Bubbles"></a>

• Like Like x 6
  2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    "Vacation greetings"

Hi Ray, thanks for your great series. Hope you will have a great vacation time in Europe. Weather is super. I do look forward to your vacation shots.

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Great shots, Ray !

Have a nice holiday in Europe, and, if you were to be in Brussels, give me a shout for a "meet and greet" around some belgian beer :biggrin:

C U,
    Rafael

4. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'd love to, but we're never going to be far from the Med or the Adriatic. Rome and Florence are the farthest inland we'll be. I'd love to get to Belgium someday. Its one part of Europe I've never spent any time and I'm a rather huge cycling fan. Maybe one day I'll make trip in the spring to also see the Tour of Flanders and Paris Roubaix...

-Ray

5. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    TESC!

My son just finished his sophomore year there. =)

6. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I was there in the mid/late 70's and my daughter, despite growing up mostly in Pennsylvania, followed me about 30 years later. I showed her a bunch of pictures of my friends and I from back then and she laughed and assured me that it hasn't changed much at all (we even ended up living in the same dorm room in our freshman years, 30 or so years apart - probably the same furniture too).

I missed my own graduation though. I'm glad I made it to hers - it was like no other college graduation I've ever seen. A stone blast, I have to say.

I hope your son gets as much out of the place as I did and as my daughter has - great school imho!

BTW, to get back on-topic, I wore out the darkrooms in the basement of the lab building back then. I wonder if they're even still there???

-Ray

7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    You will be missed here.

Take care!

Bokeh Diem

8. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Agreed. I was very impressed with the professors when we visited while my son was still in High School. I love the fact that they actually teach every undergrad class, and the level of passion and commitment to education is so high.

My son does indeed get a lot out of it, though his personality is far outside the typical Greener demographic!

Have a great trip!

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Bon voyage!

Ray, thanks for these - I think I remember that "stone blast" looking sort of graduation shot.:wink: You will indeed be missed but I have no doubt that you and your wife will have a wonderful trip - so bring a bunch of SD cards. There's nothing I'd like better than to be "bored" by your photos, Ray.:drinks:

10. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's more image than reality anyway. Although there definitely is smoke, so there's at least a little fire. :cool: But even when I was there, when what is now the stereotypical Greener demographic was kind of the national youth demographic, there was quite a mix. Yeah, there were some kids trying real hard to play at being hippies (and some really managed to pull it off), but there were plenty of suburban and urban kids from around the state, plenty of ex-military, plenty of middle aged folks coming back to finish up, etc. The two pictures above sort of show both sides - the first one is the stereotypical 'greeners', the second one is closer to the reality for most I think.

Kids there either come in self-motivated, learn to get self-motivated pretty quickly, or leave pretty quickly. If your son still likes it after two years, sounds like he's a good match! When I took my daughter to check it out (and saw a few of my old professors, still there), I got so turned on again by the place I almost wanted to go back and do a few of the programs myself. Awesome approach to learning.

Now that my daughter's out of there, I'm bummed that I'll have less and less reason to get back to Olympia - I really love that town, particularly for the dozen or so days per year its not raining...

-Ray