1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A few questions regarding the G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by snyper564, Mar 22, 2011.

1. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi all I'm new here so glad to see a dedicated forum like this. I have been wanting to upgrade and take my hobby a bit more seriously and put that point and click away.

There is a sale here where I'm from wer they are selling the G1 at 75% off with the 14-42mm lens kit. I'm new to this whole 4/3 and dslr scene so I'm not sure what I should be looking for with regards to my needs.

I basically want a good camera that will last me a very long time I want to use it for wildlife and landscapes I'm planning on purchasing a 200mm lens if I do go this route so I hav a bit more zoom with regards to the wildlife. I have used a canon 350d at the kruger national park with amazing results on a 200mm lens. So this is my only dslr exposure

I have seen some unbelievable photos captured by the G1 and I was wondering as this is the place to ask will this meet my needis the G1 a good place to start this is only the G1 and no other camera. Does it match up well to the dslr image quality as well.

Thanks so much all the help is much appreciated

2. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    If the Price is Right

I had a G1 and it is a great camera for both beginners and advanced shooters. I sold mine because I wanted another DSLR and I have regretted it. After a year without a micro 4/3rds, I picked up a bargain on an E-PL1. I miss the articulating screen of the G1 and the viewfinder that allowed more precise framing. The Panasonic kit lens is very sharp and a pleasure to work with.

The micro 4/3rds platform may not be the best choice for action photography and the G1 viewfinder lags a bit, but with practice you can "anticipate" the shot. What micro 4/3rds cameras do very well is place an incredible amount of resolution and capability in a tiny package that no other platform can match. Most importantly, micro 4/3rds is a standard and you can use other brands of lenses with the G1. Several large lens makers have recently committed to making micro 4/3rds lenses, so the future looks very healthy.

Great camera and adding the Panasonic 45-200mm lens will give you a 2 lens setup with excellent range. If I had crossed this deal before I found my E-PL1; I would have taken the bait so I could invest the savings in the 45-200mm. Good Luck,

Lee

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi !

I've been shooting exclusively with the G1 and "a few" lenses for more than 1.5 years now. My G1 has more than 15000 clicks done, and is still going strong. Really reliable piece of camera.

For wildlife shooting, you would have the 45-200mm or even the 100-300mm offering still more range. On the wide side, the 7-14 is pricey but worth every cent.

And, you could use a very large variety of lenses from other manufacturers (Nikon, Canon, Leica, Minolta, Konica, ....) via the numerous adapters that are available.

In short : if you can have a G1 at a very good price, don't hesitate to buy it.
    You'll be happy with it, without doubt !

Have a nice day,
    Rafael

4. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    To give u an idea of how much the price has dropped it was retailing for 2000 usd now its abt 500 usd converted. I stay in south africa so all the cameras are very over priced and now this is affordable but for one day only so I need to get all my research done before then. I was wondering apart from size what would make u chose this over say a canon 450d ?
    Please tell me all the things that you love about the G1 to make me feel even better abt my forth coming purchase :)

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I have a G1 and love it.

Just be aware that it doesn't do video at all, so if video is something you're interested in you need to look at the later generation m43 cameras.

6. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    I love my G1

I also love my G1, and I never want to change it for a Canon 450D/1100D/500D. The kitlens of the G1 (14-45mm) is IMO the best kitlens you can find. Only to have that lens I would buy the G1 :wink:
    If I had to choose between my GF1 and my G1, I would sell my GF1, and keep the G1.

7. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    G1 Love

My G1 is always at hand;

14-45mm
    45-200mm
    20mm 1.7

I haven't seen a 4/3 model of recent times that would entice me to change as I love the built in EVF, Articulating Screen, Front wheel for rapid changes to settings, All the buttons to avoid silly menu dipping, Film Modes, Size, Weight, Feel, Dynamic Black & White (Which is why I bought into Panasonic in the first instance with my LX3), SD card in side door on camera, powerful flash, AE Lock, OIS on lenses, Build quality...Need I go on.

8. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Yes please :biggrin:

9. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I originally bought the GF1 -- and I love it. After that I bought the 14-140mm to use on the GF1. That works okay, but when the G1 body price dropped like a stone, that seemed a perfect opportunity -- and it was.

I carry the GF1 weverywhere, but for the 14-140mm the G1 is perfect. The 7-14mm works well on both the GF1 and the G1, but that articulating screen has been great.

10. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Another happy G1 owner. Sold my K-7 which had excellent features, but IQ differences were minimal. I have added a GH1 now so my wife & I can use cams that have the same controls. I prefer the G1 sensor though - heresy!

11. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    I've been using my G1 since last summer - it's been great. I've been very impressed with the resolving power of both the camera and the lenses.

I much prefer the form factor of the G series I have no interest in any camera that lacks an eye-level viewfinder.

You can see a variety of different types of images taken with the G1 by looking at my Flickr page, and those of many other people on this forum, if your internet access allows for this.

Brian

12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

well ... I still like my point n click ... it has a role. But its always good to get some more powerful tools too.

ok, but the DSLR just means Digital Single Lens Reflex ... there is no magic in the Reflex, its just a mirror to allow you to see what your taking objective lens will produce on the film. Now that we have excellent live view we no longer need the mirror for most things (perhaps any things?)

The 4/3 are DSLR and the micro 4/3 actually are the same thing without the mirror.

ok ... I use 200mm and 300mm quite a bit on my G1 (and now GH1). It allows me to get in tighter and images like these:

5205228116_260568fd10_m.
    tawny Frogmouth by obakesan, on Flickr

4874787981_3fcb7d073d_m.
    beach scene - pied oyster catchers and terns by obakesan, on Flickr

4321761336_336988ce8b_m.
    kuusiTintti by obakesan, on Flickr

4253415235_a585705d53_m.
    hömötintti by obakesan, on Flickr

I use legacy lenses by adpator as these give me the best quality images but I have to work a little to get it. Meaning its manual focus and occasionally tripod.

as mentioned above it actually IS the same as the DSLR only the mirror which flaps up and down is missing.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Everytime I read this thread I just get more and more excited I'm not going to sleep this week till I have it :) thanks for all the help guys I feel a lot better now after reading some unbiased opinions. Just a few more questions where can I go look for wildlife/bird shots taken with the G1? Are all the m43 lenses std can I just pick up and olympus m43 lens and put it on my panasonic with no adapter and would I still hav autofocus or not? I do realise it doesn't hav video but I'm not really interested in that I was just wondering where does the g1 fit in in the m43 camera scene is it a high end or entry level camera?
    Thanks again for all the help I really appreciate it

14. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Because you specifically make reference to birds & wildlife, I'd just like to add the following:

I love the m43 cameras & lenses, Panasonic more so than Olympus. BUT - and as long as you're aware of this, you'll be good - this is not the ideal system for subjects that are moving quickly. Great if you're of a mind to wait for your subject to pause, and I've gotten some good pics of my new grandson (!) that way.

But you don't have the speediness of response of the best DSLRs, and as long as you go into it with reasonable expectations in this regard, I think you'll be very happy.

Panasonic lenses will probably autofocus more quickly than Olympus lenses on a Panny camera, but others who have more experience can speak to that.

Brian

15. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks again everyone for the help.I have 2 old cameras the pentax mv1 and pentax s3 the one has a soligor 135mm lens and the other an auto takumar 55mm 1:1.8/55 these lense are interchangable btw the 2 pentaxes would these be really nice lenses to use with the g1? And what adapter would I need would these essentially become 270mm and 110mm? Would the 270 make a nice telephoto lens ?

16. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi !

I suppose that you will easily find an adapter for your lenses. Are they bayonet mount or M42 ?
    The field of view of your 135mm lens will be equivalent to the field of view of a 270mm lens on a full frame (24x36mm) camera. And, yes, that would be a nice telelens, depending on the quality of the lens, of course.

C U,
    Rafael

17. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    They are m42 with that adapter it would give me many options of good cheap lenses here. Thanks for the help.
    Being a newb if the lens is now 270mm from 135mm would I use it as I would hav a 135mm on a norm slr or as I would hav a 270mm on a norm slr. Do all m43 fit the g1 and still hav autofocus?
    Thanks

18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    firstly yes, 135 will be about the same view as if you used 270mm on a 35mm frame.

If you are meaning the lenses you have, you will not have autofocus ... the adaptor is not magic it just allows you lens to mount onto the camera. Meaning you'll have to focus it by hand in the same way you did on the camera it was made for ... the only up side here is that you'll be able to focus it more accurately than before.

IF on the other hand you're asking if all micro 4/3 lenses AF on the G1 then that's a YES :)

Unless there was some other version of the MV Pentax than I know of the MV is Pentax K mount not thread mount m42 as you've mentioned. Unless your using a M42 -> K mount adaptor already (which of course you won't need on the G1, just get a M42 -> m4/3 adaptor and you'll be sweet)

19. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    The pentax mv1 is a k mount(bayonet style) it has an m series 50mm lens on it now it did hav an m42 adaptor on that why I thought both were m42 mounts. I don't mind the manual focus at all I sort of like the idea of being able to relive the past. I'm realising more and more the absolute endless possibilities with this new technology and I can say I'm really excited and can't wait to get it tomorow :)

20. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Ok you need 2 adapter , one for the Pentax M and one for the rest of your gear.
    PK mount to M4/3
    and M42 to M4/3

Why 2 adapters i am not sure that a PK / M42 will hook on an M4/3 adapter , in fact i know that it doesn't even hook properly on recent pentax DSLRs