1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A few questions about my E-M5 (and a few more images)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43_user, Apr 26, 2012.

1. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I have a few questions. Olympus is new to me so maybe this is obvious but I haven't yet figured it out....

1. Transferring files - I take the memory card out of the camera and use Nikon Transfer to move the files to my PC and then delete the files from the SD card. When I put the card back in the camera, the next time I take photos and transfer them to the computer using the process described above, the file numbering seems to start from the beginning again so I end up with duplicate file names on the PC. Why is this happening? It doesn't happen with the other Nikon cameras I've used or even Panasonic cameras. For some reason the file numbering is starting all over again. If the only way to prevent this from happening is to connect the camera itself to the PC to transfer rather than removing the card, I can do that...but it's less convenient.

2. The touch screen function - I can't get the touch menu to work on the screen. If I press the little button to the right of the EVF, I can toggle between live view (what the lens is pointed at) and the on-screen settings display. When I'm in the live view with the scene showing, I can touch the screen to change focus area. That works fine. But when I change to the settings display, touching the screen does nothing. I checked the menus and I have the touch enabled. What am I doing wrong? I saw a video online where the lady was touching the display to go to various settings....but I can't make mine do that. I must be doing something wrong.

Also...

My kit so far (purchased almost entirely with the sale of my Nikon SLR gear):
    -OM-D E-M5 with 14-42mm
    -Oly 45mm f/1.8
    -Oly 9-18mm f/4-5.6
    -Lens hood for Oly 9-18
    -Oly 14-150mm
    -32GB Class 10 SD Card

Still need:
    - Battery Grip (when I see one in stock)
    - Extra battery

And now for a few new photos from yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    1. There's an option in the settings menu to either reset the numbering for a new card, or to keep counting up. Don't have the camera with me now, but look around a bit and you should find it.

2. If you're talking about using the Super Control Panel via touch, it's really only about halfway touch controlled. Hit the Ok button first, to get into control mode. Then touch the setting you want to change. Then use arrow keys or control dials to alter the setting, and press the Ok button to save. It's a shame you can't do it entirely via touch, but it's at least a little better than using the arrow keys only. I think the Ok button is actually a good requirement, otherwise I'd be changing settings with my nose every time I look through the electronic viewfinder.

3. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Thanks. I'll look at that later today when I'm home again.

One more question. I'd like to assign spot metering to one of the function buttons. I don't see this as an option when I scroll through the list of functions you can assign to the function buttons. Surely you're able to do this??? I hope so. It would be sort of a letdown if you're not able to. That's a very convenient and important thing to be able to do, switch to spot metering temporarily with very little menu-diving or the press of one button.

4. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Ok I see in the book (regarding file naming):

[Auto]: Even when a new card is inserted, the file numbers
    are retained from the previous card. File numbering
    continues from the last number used or from the highest
    number available on the card.

[Reset]: When you insert a new card, the folder numbers
    starts at 100 and the file name starts at 0001. If a card
    containing images is inserted, the file numbers start at the
    number following the highest file number on the card.

I'll make sure it's on Auto and see what happens.