A few hours with the 17mm Olympus and the 15mm/25mm PL lenses

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
Haven't had an issue with it on my E-M1.
Or either of my E-P5's which had notorious shutter shock when it was introduced before the added 0 second anti-shock in a Firmware update. Since the Firmware update there is no shutter shock on any of my lenses past or present on the E-P5 and never saw it on the E-M1.
I had the Olympus 17mm F1.8 and someone gifted me the PL 15mm F1.7. I ended up selling both and now that I have all the PRO zooms I want I'm rebuilding my primes and I'm saving my money to buy my next prime, the PL 15mm F1.7 (unless Olympus comes out with a 30 or 35mm [FF Equiv.] in the PRO line of primes).

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Yep, look at it across systems: Canon 35L vs 50L, Fuji 23 f/1.4 vs 35 f/1.4. The 35mm equivalent focal length lens is always larger.

JamesD172

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
If that's true and a similarly constructed 17mm f1.2 would be larger than the 25, I sincerely hope they make some compromises to bring it down to a reasonable size. I'd even be fine with a f1.4 aperture, but I know that won't happen.

mcapil

New to Mu-43
The 15mm looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your pics. Definitely thinking about picking this up to pair it with my PL 25mm.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Nice gritty photos of Oldham St. And the Design Centre. What camera body were the 15mm shots taken on. I am debating about the P15 and Ol17 for dull days, indoor shots and evenings on the streets. I don't have a fast lens yet for my GX80. To get better shots in churches and dark indoor settings are a need for me. I am a local and a WG too.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The 17 isn't a bad lens and it does deliver pleasing images - but it's just not that sharp wide open. It usually doesn't really matter and in fact adding sharpening in post goes a long way.

But then you compare it to a better lens (e.g. I'm using the Sony FE 35/2.8 on the A7rii at the moment and that really is sharp!) and its shortcomings are obvious. Just go out though, use it and enjoy it and there really is little to complain about.

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
Before the release of the Pana/Leica 15mm I used to read positive comments about the Oly 17mm.
So I think it is still a good lens.
I'm just about to pull the trigger for a second-hand 17mm for portraiture work.
Let's see how it performs.

JamesD172

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
My guess is that more than anything, the differing opinions on the Oly 17 are due to how people evaluate lens performance.

From a zoomed-out view, on a 25" 1440p monitor (which equates to a print size of roughly 11" x 14", at 117 PPI), images from the Oly 17 are very sharp, even wide open. You can see a little bit of softness at the extreme edges and corners wide-open, but if you're aware of this, you can adjust your composition when shooting wide open accordingly.

If you're in the habit of zooming in to 100%, the Oly 17 is still a reasonable performer, but it's not in the same league as other m43 primes, some of which have an unbelievable level of sharpness even at 100% (Oly 75, PL42.5, PL25). Keep in mind, though, that zooming in 100% on a 25" 1440p monitor is equivalent to a 30" x 40" print. It is unreasonable to expect tack-sharp images from a prime wide-open at this print size.

In all other respects, the Oly 17 is a gem of a lens. I think we're just spoiled with other offerings in our system.

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
My guess is that more than anything, the differing opinions on the Oly 17 are due to how people evaluate lens performance.

From a zoomed-out view, on a 25" 1440p monitor (which equates to a print size of roughly 11" x 14", at 117 PPI), images from the Oly 17 are very sharp, even wide open. You can see a little bit of softness at the extreme edges and corners wide-open, if you're aware of this, you can adjust your composition when shooting wide open accordingly.

If you're in the habit of zooming in to 100%, the Oly 17 is still a reasonable performer, but it's not in the same league as other m43 primes, some of which have an unbelievable level of sharpness even at 100% (Oly 75, PL42.5, PL25). Keep in mind, though, that zooming in 100% on a 25" 1440p is equivalent to a 30" x 40" print. It is unreasonable to expect tack-sharp images from a prime wide-open at this print size.

In all other respects, the Oly 17 is a gem of a lens. I think we're just spoiled with other offerings in our system.

How did you determine the viewing size/resolution/print size relationship James? The reason I ask is that I have a 24" 1440p monitor, so it'd be good to get an idea of the relationship between viewing size on-screen, and print size.

Regarding the O17 vs PL15, there's really not a comparison. I've owned both, and the PL15 is a better lens regarding sharpness. I just wish that they would've made it a 17.5mm rather than a 15mm, and f/1.4 instead of f/1.7. I've since sold both and have the Voigtlander 17.5, as it gives me the focal length and fast aperture that I'm looking for. It will be interesting to see what happens with the rumored Olympus 17.5mm PRO.

Latest threads

Top Bottom