A few GX85 questions

sprocket87

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi all, I'm looking hard at the GX85 as a supplement to my primary E-M5 II, to be used for travel and better video. A few questions for those in the know...

1. I know there's a time lapse mode that auto dumps to a video like the E-M5, but does it still capture the full resolution RAW files so I can work with them myself later? In other words does it work like a traditional intervalometer? Also does anyone know what the intervals and max shot counts are?

2. Handling... I continue to struggle with my E-M5 and E-M5 II bodies in terms of handling, ergonomics and customization. They CAN do just about anything you want, but the button and menu layouts seem so counter-intuitive it is more frustrating than FUN. My E-M5 II works great as a "work" camera, when I need to be very intentional with my shooting. But I'd like to be able to have a simple body for "fun" shooting, that doesn't get in the way so much.

I'm hoping the GX85 is something that just "clicks" without being too fussy to operate. This isn't a question so much as a general call for feedback and user opinions.

Put another way: I also have a Ricoh GR II, which I adore, and it is so pleasingly logical and easy to use. So if there were a scale of [Ricoh GR]...to... [Olympus E-M5], where would the GX85 fall? :D

3. I'm stoked about USB charging (the Ricoh has this too, it's brilliant). But can the GX85 be operated while charging? For example could I plug it in while doing a long time lapse?

4. Does the GX85 require any specifically high performance SD cards for 4K video? I have some Class 10 UHS-1 cards. Is UHS-3 required?

Any other thoughts on the GX85 as a travel companion would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Real Name
Andrew L
Hello! I main the GX85, although honestly I'm not sure about the time lapse features. I want to say there is a robust time lapse feature that captures RAW files, but I've never accessed it.

In terms of handling and user experience, the GX85 clicks for me - but then I've used a lot of Panasonic cameras. The first thing to do is to assign one of the dials permanently to exposure comp in P/A/S modes. For some reason this isn't default out of the box, but both dials are set to control whatever function is named by the mode (aperture in A mode, etc). It's a simple menu setting to fix this that you set first and never look back. I have the front dial set exposure comp, since it's the dial I use the most and it's easier to turn (and more fun, i.e. more clicky). Also, the vast majority of settings you might want are accessible from a touch screen "info" type screen that you can cycle to by using the display button. Simply tap on the setting you want and use a dial or arrow button to change. Much like the Olympus SCP but easier on the eye.

USB charging doesn't charge when the camera is operating. I'm not certain if it powers the camera when plugged in and turned on... I want to say it doesn't, but I'll double check.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
have not used an Oly since the OM-1/2 but the GX85 menu layouts are better than Sony's - likely not as good as Nikon DSLRs (hard to say as I have so many decades there)

buttons are small, hard to find or feel

lack of a center bulge ("pseudo-prism") is good for packing, hiking, etc.

use your R. eye to avoid nose-focusing - hard for me as I am left-eyed

tech support is abysmal

you will likely have to use it for a while to see

for me it is a keeper and I recently bought the Leica 12-60 lens which is quite nice

Real Name
Andrew L
I turned off touch focusing. The touchscreen can still be operated with touch focus turned off, but I find it much more convenient to not worry about brushing the screen when the camera is to my eye.

sprocket87

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the tips all.

I got to spend a few brief moments with the GX85 in a shop last night. Initial reaction was that it is remarkably comfortable to hold, it just fits like a glove. It's also slightly bigger than I expected. Not a bad thing, just an observation. I also held the GX8 which seems crazy large, but also very, very comfy.

But without spending any time with the UI, it seemed a little foreign to me. The menus and on screen display info are much more bright (and "fat") than Olympus' approach. Feels like less information density, but of course I don't really have any time with it under my belt.

One big disappointment was the EVF. I hate to sound like a spoiled kid, but man, it's pretty rough. The E-M5 II blows it away. I think the GX85 might even be worse than the original E-M5. Not a dealbreaker, but just kinda surprising for 2017. On the plus side, being able to do the AF-point adjustments from the touchscreen while using the EVF was pretty slick. I liked that a lot. As mentioned though, it might be annoying in practice. Would have to spend some more time to find out.

Real Name
Andrew L
The GX85 EVF is the same as the one in the GX7 just with an added 120fps refresh rate, if I understand it correctly. It's not the best around for sure, however I noticed my initial negative reaction towards aspects of it have disappeared with use. It's plenty good enough.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
No.1, Yes
No.2, Haven't tried the EM5II or GR II, but at least the GX85 looks like the GR more isn't it?
No.3, No. You can keep the USB cable connected, but it only charges when switched off, and the charging can take two hours.
No.4, It does NOT require a UHS-III card, but you do need a fast card. My old Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB is a UHS-I card, now the same card has the UHS-III label, which doesn't make it faster just by upgrading its interface specs. For 100mbps 4K video, I think at least a Sandisk extreme 45MB or equivalent is needed.

listers_nz

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Simon
The manual states that for 4K video you should use a UHS-I Speed Class 3 card (i.e. a UHS-I card that has a 3 pictured inside the U). You don't need a UHS-II card.
I haven't tried it, but I believe you can get away with a UHS-I Speed Class 1, Class 10 card (what the hell were they thinking when they came up with these designations!) provided it is a fast card (not all cards are created equal)

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't think the GX8 or GX85 have the latest & best EVFs - the newer bodies are much better, according to friends who own both.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The GX 85 is new, the GX800 has no viewfinder. The GH5 does but at a price. I have not experienced 'tearing'.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I don't think the GX8 or GX85 have the latest & best EVFs - the newer bodies are much better, according to friends who own both.

The GX 85 is new, the GX800 has no viewfinder. The GH5 does but at a price. I have not experienced 'tearing'.

This "tearing" started with the GH3. The EVF in the GH2 was pretty good and easy to see/focus well. With the GH3 they tried to make the EVF smaller overall and went too far I think. Nevertheless I had two GH3 bodies because I'm pretty adaptable and learned to "get along" with them.

The GX7 and GX85 EVF both seem similar to the one in the GH3, I had a GX7 (mainly for it's small size and compactness), sold it and replaced it with a GX85 as I really want to have something I can "hide" in the center console of my Honda CR-V to keep it out of sight. The smallish EVF does not bother me because I am able to get my eye right in the "channel" to align it so I get very little distortion or "tearing". Doesn't have to be perfect for me to use it effectively.

The EVF on the GH4, G7, G85 and GH5 was a VAST IMPROVEMENT and a real pleasure to work with. I'm keeping my GH4, replaced my G7 with a G85, and am waiting for a replacement on a GH5 that had a problem.

The GX85 is great for features and portability, the G85 with it's "kit" 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 lens is a great value for being more fully featured and having a bright crisp easy to see thru EVF.

sprocket87

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks all. I got back to the shop today to spend some more time with the GX85. I had plenty of time so I got to work through the interface, menus, and buttons a lot more than my first go-round. I found myself really enjoying it. It's super ergonomically friendly, at least to my fingers, and everything is laid out quite logically. I had a bit of confusion with the 4K Burst Photo mode (trying to review and select the best shot afterward was kind of a mess of on screen icons and Fn-button mappings), but that is hardly a major factor since that is something that I would expect to need to learn to use properly anyhow. But the actual turn-on-and-start-shooting ease of use was quite enjoyable.

One of the bigger criteria for me is video AF performance. My E-M5/E-M5 II are somewhat disappointing. The GX85 appeared to work very well, at least in the decently-lit shop, even with the stock 12-32mm. The anti-shake felt like it gave my E-M5 II a run for its money too -- of course that was with the OIS lens attached for the full 5-axis effect, but still. Not bad, Panasonic!

The menus are a breath of fresh air. Everything is just so darn easy to read and understand. The timelapse feature, for example, is marvelously intuitive -- much unlike the insanity that is Olympus' timelapse setup. The fact that it can turn the camera on automatically at a future time is brilliant!

All in all, I'm a little smitten. The funny thing is, I started this process looking for a more compact alternative to my OM-D's for traveling. The RX100 IV or V looked like the perfect option, or maybe the LX10. But when I actually got my hands on them in store... yuck. Especially the RX100. Too fiddly. No touchscreen. The UI on that camera makes my OM-D's look like a case study in good UX design. I just kept going back to the GX85... while it's a lot larger, it just felt right. And in all honesty, the RX100, while tiny, is NOT pants-pocketable, at least not for me. So the GX85 isn't any more of a burden to carry around, at least with pancake attached.

Add the rebates and the free 45-150 OIS lens deal going on, and I think I might be pulling the trigger here soon.... :D

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason

The GX8 viewfinder is still one of the best there is imo, the .77 magnification is quite brilliant.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When i was considering purchasing a GX80 (85), I was deterred by all the reviews that slated the EVF, having been less than satisfied with earlier Lumix finders. Then Black Friday promotions re-ignited my interest and I thought should at least check it out for myself. At the store, I was pleasantly surprised and bought the camera on the spot. At first I thought I could at least get by with the EVF. My G5 and EM10 VFs were bigger and the EM10's didn't tear. Having now used the GX for several months, I actually prefer the EVF over those in my other M43 bodies. The G5's, though bigger, is more prone to tearing in lower light, whilst the EM10's finder looks dull and muted in comparison.

The tearing problem associated with Panasonic's EVFs isn't due to the age or size of the panel, but the technology they opt to use. They often use field sequential panels, which display the individual colour channels in separate frames, and sequence them at a refresh rate that to the eye looks like a multi-coloured image. Field sequential screens are generally more vivid and battery efficient than standard LCD panels, but the downside is the tearing effect that you get, especially when the refresh rate slows down.

My main gripe with the GX80 EVF is the location. Being left eye dominant, my nose touches the screen and as a result I've had to disable touch pad AF, but that's not a big deal.

Krandall

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen Randall
I come from years of Canon DSLR use, so this is my first experience with the EVF. I have to say that it is horrible in comparison. That said, I love everything else about the camera, and I am finding that I choose it over my Canons more and more as I head out the door. I find that I can trust the camera to do what I want, just using the EVF for framing the shot.

I know other people find the GX85 too small, but for me, it handles beautifully, and is so much easier on my back and arms than my DSLR's and big lenses.

Uwharrie

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Ezzell
This is likely a stupid question. How do I keep the autofocus centered? I have read the manual. I have fiddled and futzed. Still cannot get it Ti hold center focus point. What an I doing wrong

Real Name
Andrew L
This is likely a stupid question. How do I keep the autofocus centered? I have read the manual. I have fiddled and futzed. Still cannot get it Ti hold center focus point. What an I doing wrong
It's right in the touch screen settings panel, which can be switched to by the display button on the lower right. Yes, you can get to it in the menus, but that's a waste of time.

Possibly you switched to auto mode, which doesn't let you keep the single AF point, so long as I know.

Latest threads

Top Bottom