A few from tonight....

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by scotttnz, Sep 1, 2013.

1. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    I have been meaning to shoot a sunset from this spot for a while now, but for various reasons it just hasn't happened. But tonight I saw a window of opportunity, so I grabbed a step ladder, which I knew would be needed to get above the foreground clutter and went just around the corner and up the hill, less than 1 Km from where I live.
    The clouds co-operated, and I got some keepers :)

All with the G6 and 45-200 except the 4th one, which was the GX1 and 14-45PZ

2. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Well done. I really like number 2 but feel that it would benefit by cropping about 1/3 of the sky out. (Cropping to just below the thin blue sky on the right hand side). This would create a panoramic type feel, which in my opinion would enhance the photo. But, beautiful shot.
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Fantastic..love the last image .
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - The last is my favorite as well. :thumbup:
  5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    They should call that spire "the portal to the clouds."
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  7. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Beautiful set. The last one is my favorite.
  8. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

It is appropriately called the Skytower. Last time I checked it was still the tallest man made structure in the southern hemisphere.

Here's a slightly different perspective of it from yesterday:

9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    beautiful capture of the clouds, sunset rays and skyline. I like #2 and the last on the most.
  10. About that clutter, I've had this thought of renting a small Cherry Picker with a people buck and using that to get above foreground clutter.
    My wife said no.
  11. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    While I was there at the top of my stepladder, someone else pulled up in a truck, climbed up on the back of it and started taking photos with his tablet :confused:

Another way of avoiding foreground clutter is to do what I did this morning. Take them from the harbour while on board the ferry to work. It was a perfect spring morning, with not a cloud in the sky :)