1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A few from a pre wedding shoot

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Bokeaji, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    doing volunteer candid/behind the scenes photo work for a couple friend of mine for the brides family who cant make it for all the PRE wedding fun

they had a strobist doing most of the regular posed type shots, so dont panic, these arent all theyre stuck with ;)

i was working in some pretty dim light, without flash, so as not to disrupt the main photographers work... so i was often in high iso and slow shutter speed land

heres a small handful of shots

pretty tight crop of a photo with tons of studio equipment all over every other part of the frame
    7984779023_3536012f6d_o.
    P9130629 (1) by Gubrz, on Flickr

the crazy but interesting wall paper from the brides GET READY room.. whatever its called :)
    [​IMG]
    DSCF3449 by Gubrz, on Flickr

setting up lighting for some "glowy behind their heads" shots... there was a fancy name for it, but ive forgotten, D'OH!
    7984788350_49806f681d_o.
    DSCF3663 (1) by Gubrz, on Flickr

i love the colors in this
    7984788222_8d47a6606d_o.
    P9130406 - Version 2 by Gubrz, on Flickr

but i loved everything else about this version...
    7984788158_6abbb429c8_o.
    P9130406 by Gubrz, on Flickr

this reminds me of another photo ive seen and loved, tho i didnt realize it till i got home and did a quick flip thru some shots and saw it in aperture. i swear i didnt intentionally copy some other photo tho! lol. thats the main photographer in the shadowy foreground btw :)
    7984780319_9fa5e85473_o.
    P9130606 by Gubrz, on Flickr

theyre gonna do another photo session before the wedding, and then wedding day... so if anyone has any comments... tear me apart! its my first wedding type duty, not getting paid.. and they know im wacky with my styles, but i always wanna learn! :)

teach me wise ones!
    i am ready for your wisdom!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Good stuff E ....both versions of the hanging dress are really great, I love both but the mono version is just awesome, so much grainy goodness. In fact, I like the grainy goodness throughout the set, and well played by going for a much smoother grain for these images than what you would normal do for your street stuff.

Really good use that nice light too.

Yeah, I like the 'dreaminess' of the first 4 images way more than the 'realness' of #5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I think they will be really pleased, I love no.3 (2 people, same space, different worlds)

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm not wild about the first, the brides blurry face is a bit distracting. I really like the rest, though - excellent shots. If you crop out the photog in the last it would be an absolutely outstanding photo. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    thanks livi!

yeah i want to mix the two dress images together... but i refuse to spend an hour processing ONE photo... for now... lol

i enjoyed the grain too, and yeah my normal look wouldnt really fit for anything wedding like, lol!!! :)

i couldnt think of what i could do to the last one to add anything to it, so i just left it! lol

less is more? haha!

thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback!

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i think that one is my fav as well!
    perfect description of it too!
    thanks for the feedback!! :)

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    yeah, unfortunately krista is very animated... LOL
    tho, i kinda wish HIS face were blurry, too, for my own taste
    but in reality... i think i like that hers is, and his isnt
    its very THEM
    shes wacky and always moving about
    and hes a very serious and calm guy
    it suits THEM, i think at least :)

i had considered cropping her out, but i felt like it would be too much of a wedding shot, and not enuf of a BEHIND THE SCENES shot for the family
    and thats what i was mainly trying to do
    i thought the photog shadow added a "this is what was REALLY going on" feel to it, and you can still see the greatness of what was about to be, with the reality of what was

thanks revvybobby! ill def take another look at cropping it! :)

8. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I like the first image because it is impromptu and without the expectations of posing for the formal shots. Many times, it is these candids that stir the memories of the emotions that surface due to the pomp and circumstance of a gala that is a wedding.

I have candid pre-wedding photos of myself and my bride of over three decades that we occasionally view on a Friday evening after a quiet dinner and over a glass of wine as a way to temporarily remove ourselves from the complexity of our current lives to fondly remember the simpler times.

Thanks for sharing these images.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Great fun feel to the portraits bro:bravo-009: I also really like the shot of the writing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good point about the couple, hadn't considered the first shot in terms of personalities - great for them that you do know them pretty well.

I forgot that this was a "behind the scenes" shoot - keeping the photog in the shot does make more sense. Still, cropping and saving the shot seperately creates a different portrait that is very powerful in it's own right. Again, nicely done!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Olivier Duong

Olivier Duong Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    You have very nice light! What did you shoot with