A Few Friendly Creatures

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mantis by day. Found on a paperbark tree where it was almost invisible.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Onto my hand for a while, and a few shots, before returning to the wood.

Drone Fly, after watering the garden one day.

Gearing up for a little preening.

And now for my next trick.

Mud Wasp, maybe. Immobile on a flower in the middle of the day, unusual for a hungry wasp. Still there when I got back with camera.

She flew around the garden a while, but too cold for more than short trips in search of nourishment. But it wasn't food she was after, uninterested in the butterfly bush behind.

Adopted for the warmth I was, and she held on. We are more dangerous than they are.

What are the odds ...

A flightless wasp, had a habit of falling out of the trees where I was staying a while.

Can’t remember their name, doing what all creatures do, engaging in the process of reproduction. The essence of nature … to live and die and live again.

Move over mate. These beetles have a season or two in the garden, depends on the flowering. They like the native ‘crocus’ and various flowering herbs. Here a straw-flower, with a resident spider.

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another nice set, I like the Mantis. Never seen that one before.
That wasp has sure got a waspish waist!
Each time I see a set of @MarkB1 's (or @Hayath 's for that matter) pictures, I'm reminded of how much I still have to learn about photography.
Thanks for comments all, much appreciated.

@RichardC it's a big field for sure, photography, but in any area there are principles that if you know and follow them should make things easier. My take on the process is outlined in my second sig link - https://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/ - you might find it useful.

Last edited:

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another great set Mark. You seem to find some really interesting and cooperative models to photograph.
Thanks Harvey. I took up gardening to attract the bugs and they just keep coming. Of course the time spent being there counts towards the number of opportunities.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom