A few EPL1 questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by deckitout, Jan 5, 2011.

1. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    I can pick up an EPL1 at a very good price, I have not had chance to play with one hence I have a few questions. My current M4/3 kit is a G1.

As I understand the EPL1 is pretty much menu driven, when in manual mode what is the sequence to adjust shutter/aperture how long winded is it

With say the M43 9/18 lens what is the procedure to use focus assist, is it menu driven or ???

Thanks for any help

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    in aperture, or shutter priority it is clik and you are in the adjust phase. You can actually do everything by muscle memory. just push the up pad. Then up or down to open or close down the aperture. left and right to EV. In Manual, up or down and left and right for shutter and aperture. I use the vf2, and never look at the buttons when setting the aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yes, in manual mode you press the up button, then the left/right buttons to adjust aperture, and the up/down buttons to adjust shutter speed (values shown on screen). That's it. No menu diving.

You do have to go into the menus to turn manual focus assist on or off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. navyasw02

navyasw02 New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2010
    I thought at first that the EPL would be "too amateur" based on reviews, but it's really not. Changing settings on the fly really couldn't be easier. Up arrow and then go from there, it's that simple.

5. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I had a similar dilemma, although I admittedly am a bit of gear nut, and already have an e-p1 and gf-1. But the price looked nice, and while I've liked both my e-p1 and gf-1, I was really wanting to try out the e-pl1 for a variety of reasons.

Mine came today, and on first impressions, I think I like it pretty good. I was pretty skeptical of the button stuff to adjust settings, but it works a lot better than I thought it would. In some ways I think it might be better. AF point selection I think is really handy on the e-pl1. It works similar to the G-1, you press the left button and pick the af point or pick all points. It's fast and works well. Plus there's a nicely visible but not distracting af-point selection indicator. The control panel works well enough and you can change settings easily.

• Like Like x 1
  6. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Picked one up today for 210UKP including cashback, how cheap is that, body only.

7. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I wonder what the EPL2 will do to EPL1 prices.

8. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Mine was 274GBP, with kit lens. Not great, but I can sell the kit lens and get the effective cost lower by a little.