A Few EM5ii Questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobDMB, Mar 31, 2015.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    I have an EM5ii on order with a 12-40mm Pro lens. I have a few questions regarding its operation:

1) To ensure weather sealing on the Em5ii is it necessary to keep the little plastic piece in the hotshoe at all times now that there is no more accessory port?

2) I intend to keep the camera on Anti-Shock 0 setting to utilize the EFC and avoid shutter shock. Is there any disadvantage to keeping the camera permanently on this setting?

Lastly, any other settings that its recommended I immediately change for optimal performance? Thanks.

- Rob

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    1] yes
    2] no
    other] turn on High Res :rolleyes-38:

3. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    other other] seriously, 'optimal' performance is different for everyone depending on what you do with it.

4. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    1) No (if you look at the hotshoe with the plastic piece attached you can actually see the connectors between the two parts, i.e. it's just for protection, not sealing)

5. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    1] I had a bit of a look around, and I think you are right. Change my answer to 'no' too :)

I said 'yes' because I recall having read it somewhere, and thought better to play safe. But looking at Oly website, there is no mention, and that's where you would expect to see it. (link)

[edit: notice that the included flash unit is also splash proof, link above]

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    0s Anti-Shock introduces an additional 20ms lag in taking the exposure (it should be called 20ms anti-shock!). Not an issue for most of us, but it just might make a difference for capturing a particular moment.

7. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Out of curiousity, why would there be a delay? Since the E-M5 mk II uses a true EFCS just like the Sony nex-6 for example, shouldn't it be delay-free?

8. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Not meaning to hijack this thread. Is it possible via an update they could have the camera shoot in 60fps in the hightest bit rate vs just the 24 and 30 fps (NTSC) of what they have now?

9. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    I thought on the E-M5 ii it just turns on electronic first curtain. I have no idea why mechanical first curtain is even an option.
    If you add seconds it additionally adds time to activation which I believe is only useful for hi res mode as you can't use the self timer. My E-M5 ii has not arrived yet but I have read a lot about this. I suggest Google ...

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I stumbled upon the place where I read about it: phoblographer's review. He says "The EM5 Mk II even has a bit of extra weather sealing under the hot shoe, though Olympus recommends using a hot shoe cover to fully complete the sealing." link Whether he is right is another matter.