A few 50/2 Oly shots on E-P2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shawngibson, Aug 21, 2010.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    Not sure what I'm doing yet but here are a few shots. You have to move around to focus on my camera:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Very nice... looks like you're having fun! :2thumbs:

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Brian

3. Optical Thrombosis

Optical Thrombosis Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    Whats the focus performance like on the Pen?

4. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks guys.

It's not geat I must say. Sometimes the lens searches and sometimes it registers the focus wrong, back-focuses. But if you are slow and paying attention it's fine. Getting used to manual focusing the rear screen, but will hopefully be more photo-like when I get the EVF.

Happy so far:)

5. Optical Thrombosis

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks Shaun,

I asked because this is the one 4/3s lens I really miss, its so sharp you can cut yourself, and the resolving power is amazing, plus DOF control is great. I love the cat shot you posted!

6. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks OT. I really like the 'paw' shot; it almost reminds me of old Anne Geddes if she shot cats lol. I might be on to something there lol.

I tried shooting raindrops on leaves/flowers today, but the lens was really hunting a lot, and it was windy too, so not much to report. I can say, though, that with a couple shots, the DoF is razor thin, which surprises me for a 2.0 lens. Then again, I'm much closer than I'd ever be with my old 85/1.2Lii (on a 5D) shooting people, so that makes sense...longer the the focal length, closer the distance, wider the aperture=narrower the DoF (all three of those variables change the Dof); that's the rule and I guess this lens as a macro bears that out.

I'm very happy with the lens when I get the pic, but I'll leave a final verdict for when I get the EVF, because right now, there are too many lost shots. Nor am I in my element, so I could be part of the blame, ie learning curve with the lens, no tripod, shooting at distances I'm unaccustomed to.

I've not sharpened any of these images (they are tests afterall), only processing in this thread is colour/contrast related, and IIRC they are all 25% in Save For Web/bicubic sharper.

Here's the same flower after rain, terrible composition but you can see the narrow DoF:

[​IMG]

7. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    I have the most incredible toe ever!

Sooo...sexy...not:

[​IMG]

8. Optical Thrombosis

Apr 10, 2010
    At least you clip your toenails...