1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A dramatic model portrait. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Aug 14, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    This is taken on Friday night with my Olympus E-PL2 with an Olympus OM 50mm f1.8 at f8 ISO100.

I used a Paul Buff Einstein monolight on the far camera right with a 30 degrees gridded 22" ePhoto Beauty Dish.

The one thing I do wish that I've done with this photo is added a hair light, a bookend, or a reflector for the hair, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

What do you think?

6040398726_485828049b_o.

• Like Like x 10
  2. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Excellent photo! Lovely colour consonance and visual echoes. I agree that the back of the head could do with some more light, but the lighting is very atmospheric.

You've come such a long way in less than a year, Joe. Keep it up!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks! It actually has been one year since I bought my first dSLR. Amazing how me having a broken P&S before a Hawaii trip led to me buying an E-PL1.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I like the photo, but I think a different colored dress would have much more impact.

5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I wish I had a choice on the wardrobe. It was all the model brought to the group photoshoot that would have worked in this scene =)

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I understand. Just a lot of red/pink. For some reason, my eye keeps pulling me down to the purple in the bottom of the dress.

7. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    The first thing that comes in my mind:"Where is the water?" :biggrin:

8. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    I see what you're saying, but for me that only happens because of the admitted flaw that the model's back is poorly lit, which makes two, disconnected areas of light on the model. To some extent the folds on the lit area of dress provide leading lines up towards the face, but because of the patch of darkness between the lit folds and the face, these leading lines go nowhere. Had the model's long hair been lit then I think the eye that falls on that lit bit of dress would have been coaxed up the hair and onto the face.

Of course, one could ask why she's sitting on the bath, and peoples' taste in colour combinations will always differ, but to me, at least, the only compositional/lighting flaw is the openly admitted one.

9. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I don't really like the model but I like your lights!

Dress colour can be changed in post with little hassle
    (I don't think think blue is so good but just for you to see, 2 minutes in photoshop when model doesn't have a 20 kilograms dress bag)

Attached Files:

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The touched up shot is much more striking to me.

11. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I can see why it can be a good idea. I'm not set on that particular shade of blue, though, and the flower on her hair looks out of place being blue.

Maybe another color for the dress and accessories?

12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Ok, so I recropped it and darkened the bathtub and the draped cloth. Let me know what you think now:

6040398726_485828049b_o.

• Like Like x 2
  13. pupsel

pupsel Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 15, 2011
    Like it very much

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I love it. I agree with you on the hairlight.

Opposite to darkening the tub, I was going to suggest brightening the light on her a bit. To my eyes, the light falling on her is just a little too dim.

You can't please everyone, though, it seems :D

Again, love that you are doing studio work with these cams. Looking forward to seeing more.

15. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks! I'll probably lighten her up a little it bit, as well as the tub. Thank goodness for shooting Raw, haha! Would have destroyed a Jpeg by now.

I have also uploaded more studio works shot by my E-PL2, if you see my signature =D