A Dragon and some Butterflies

Discussion in 'Nature' started by grebeman, Aug 21, 2010.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    [​IMG]

A male Golden-ringed Dragonfly

This is a relatively newly hatched male, when matured they will be constantly on the wing patrolling their territory, so these few days after hatching are the best time to photograph one

[​IMG]

A male Common Blue butterfly

Photographed in the early morning, probably where it roosted, its wings are spread to gather the morning sun and warm itself up

[​IMG]

Red Admiral

The first feed of the day in the early sun about 1 hour after sunrise

[​IMG]

Comma butterfly

Another early morning feeder

[​IMG]

underside of Comma showing why it is thus named

All taken with Panasonic G1 and 105mm f/2.8 Sigma macro lens, hand held shots, most at about f/8 with camera on aperture priority, all focused manually, no cropping

Barrie

• Like Like x 4
  2. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Nice collection, early in the morning I prefer the second one (but not very awake yet...)

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
  4. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Joep, thanks for the link - cool shots!

ric

5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Joep, I think that is also my favourite, taken a few days before my birthday and then a friend sent me a card that was almost similar, although much more zoomed in on the insect.
    I'm trying now to get more pictures from slightly further away, as the Common Blue, that set the insect in it's habitat, although paradoxically a reed bed is not the habitat for Common Blue, it's grassland, but it was not alone and seemingly they were happy to roost there.

Barrie

6. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Barrie, nice set of pics. Now I understand why you were further away. I tend to get too close in general. Lately I have seen others going for the composition and still get a decent size image of their subjects. Trying to do that technique with no successful yet.

cheers

ric

• Like Like x 1
  7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi ric,

Very often I tend to start taking shots from some distance and then gradually get nearer the insect, then if it does fly or whatever at least you've got something, and you might find some of the shots from a little further away make for better compositions.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1