1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A disappointing development

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dcisive, Jul 22, 2011.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    As it turns out I'm going to be returning my G3 2 lens kit. It seems a few things have come up with it that are unacceptable and the dealer (Unique Photo) is making it right. First off the EVF is incapable of correct diopter adjustment (and it's not my eyes as they are 20/15 both eyes with NO astigmatism). Last night it started to double trigger on the shutter where it is NOT set for either multi shot in any regard, and is also inconsistent. The kit lens 14-42 by the way is pretty awful requiring stopping down to at least f8 to even be sharp in the middle let alone the edges. Now I'm in a quandry as to whether to trust the next one or jump ship to a P3 altogether. Guess I'll have another week or so think about it. This is such a drag. I really wanted to love that little guy. I may try another when they get more in and see if it's an improvement. if not it's a no brainer moving to a P3 :confused:

2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Wow, sorry to hear that--sounds very unusual for the Pannys. I am not a Panny user myself but I recently tested out a GH-1 my wife bought for her brother on eBay and I was very impressed; almost bought a G2 after that.

Hope it all works out in the end.

3. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    The general manager and I had a long conversation and he intends to see that no matter what I end up happy with what I decide upon in the end. Even if the replacement G3 kit does not satisfy me. It's just the waiting I hate. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Well tomorrow I'll have a replacement G3 2 lens kit on it's way to me, but this time from another dealer. I'll just be getting a refund from the returned one to that first dealer that sent me an opened box unit. Just no patience to wait for them to get one in as they had no idea when it was going to happen. I just need to be able to open an unopened box instead of getting stuff that's been pre played with. That's not what I'm paying for. Some dealers apparently don't get it. Those aren't the ones I'll do business with :rolleyes:

5. If the new camera does not work out for you, consider buying a G1 with the 14-45mm lens. The 14-45 is a better lens than the 14-42 and the G1 is a very adequate camera in every way except video - none. You can get slightly used or open-box G1s for about $400 though they have actually been going up in price recently.

6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Hopefully, the double-shot was just a defective unit.

As for the kit lens, try to pick up a 14-45mm if you get the chance. It's unfortunate that Panny switched to such an inferior design for the kit lens, as the 14-45mm is quite good. I ordered the kit because I figured that I could sell the 14-42mm for at least the $100 difference, but I'll be using the 14-45mm as my primary "kit" lens.

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I have a different strategy

I'm ordering both pancake lenses to complement the kit lens. From what I've see the 14-42 with some post processing can be just as effective as the 14-45 especially stopped down. I prefer the money spent on a 14mm f2.5 and a 20mm f1.7. Those not only make for a considerably more stealth and portable package but are both sharper and provide better contrast then ANY of the zooms. I don't mind walking a tiny bit to make up the focal range I require if I have one of the pancakes loaded. Both of those zooms have trade offs, neither is that amazing, but the kit might be adequate enough for a 13x19 which is what I'll be checking out. I do a lot of landscapes

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think 14-42mm is not that bad. Did you shoot in RAW? G3 has some of the most aggeressive NR I've seen which smoothes out detail quite a bit. Even shots with sharp panny 20mm looked soft. G3 is a great tool for RAW shooting.

9. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I'm planning on shooting RAW. I'm also thinking the next 14-42 will be better yet. I'm sure stopped down to f8 it should be fine. I wonder if Rawtherapy can decode the G3 files yet? I think I read somewhere it did. I'll probably give that a try pretty quick. It's free too. :)

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    You can just use silkypix to convert to tiff and then do whatever you want in a photo editor of choice.

11. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Sounds like great customer service. Good luck on your choice!

12. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I haven't heard nor seen any particularly great results from Silkypix, and frankly with CS5 and Lightroom already on board I will probably wait the several more weeks until Adobe updates those for the G3. I can be that patient. As the Jpeg results on the G3 are already quite impressive. Since RAWTherapy is free I may try that as well just for fun. I've seen some impressive results from that program....and the price is right :)

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Capture One supports G3, free 30 day trial. You may want to try that. I am not as much impressed with G3's jpeg color (and WB) especially under artificial light. I do like low noise output though and impressive detail retention all the way through ISO6400. Hopefully I'll be able to tweak the color to my liking cause so far E-PL2 is just murdering it shot by shot (in jpeg).

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The 14-42 is only slightly behind the 14-45 in performance. I have rigorously tested one against the other. Neither should need to be stopped down to f/8 for excellent performance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Shhh ... you'll ruin the "cool" reputation of my classic 14-45mm. :cool: