1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A day late an a dollar short...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Mar 23, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    While most folks anxiously await. Heir OMD delivery I just picked up an E-P3 in a trade (said farewell to my E-PM1 and 14mm lens). My initial impression in positive. I have always liked the design. Of the E-P1 and the E-P3 keeps up the tradition quite nicely. The bigges things I notice is that it's faster (even AF on the Panasonic 20), has an absolutely brilliant LCD and of course the flash is handy. I still think the design of the E-P1 is a bit nicer and I can't put my finger on why just yet but the E-P3 is still very nice. Because I have fairly large hands and fingers I am finding it more comfortable than the E-PM1 was. I am also finding the touch screen to be a huge improvement over previous touch screens I have used. I can actually see using it. It looks like it will make a nice stealthy travel camera. I realize it's a lot larger than the E-PM1 I gave up but it suits my hands better so...

What I am most surprised at is that the LCD is nice enough that I may sell my VF2. Of course I have a Panasonic G2 so if I need an EVF I have one there. That said, the LCD is so nice that it seems more natural to use it than the VF2. I also find that the VF2 really doesn't do much for the design of the E-P3. It looks kludgey. Waiting for the Aki-Asahi leatherette and Gordy strap to arrive to finish it off.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Interesting... I've never really compared them directly and had just assumed the E-PM1 was as fast.

Aesthetically or ergonomically? If aesthetically, then I can guess why. The top-plate of the E-P1 was certainly a lot more stylish with its recessed mode dial. Also, the E-P3 is a little longer (from left to right) which puts it slightly out of proportion. The E-P1 was a perfect shape.

Well then, I guess that almost makes the E-P3 as compact as the E-PM1 doesn't it? :) At least for you...

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Ned...I mean the AF is fast (not faster)...my bad. I didn't have them here at the same time but I assume the E-PM1 is equally fast.

A far as the design relative to the E-P1...it's because the aesthetics of the E-P1 are nicer. The recessed mode dial and t he overall design seems more balanced.

The EVF less E-P3 is surprisingly compact. A lot heftier than the E-PM1 but still comfortable. Of course I always had the VF2 on the E-PM1 as well (I found the LCD way too small to be much use) so I never fully appreciated the E-PM1's smallness. I still think the E-PM1 is a brilliant camera but just not quite what I was looking for.

4. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    I also tried once the amazing ep3, its awesome how olympus improved the dots from epl1.

Perhaps I'll wait for the future ep3 when the price is right for me. Now I'm heading to epl2

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I made the opposite "transition" (kinda) to yours, Kevin. I have had my E-P3 since it launch and recently switched from a GF2 to an E-PM1 as a second body.

All I can say is, the E-P3 spoiled me rotten. :rofl:
    I really don't like using the E-PM1. I can't believe I'm saying this but it feels cramped! (And I have small hands and like small cameras!). The screen, compared to the E-P3 is well... let's just say the 16:9 screen form factor is a bad call. :tongue:

I couldn't wait for the E-M5 as I will be going on a trip this Monday and need a second body. Will be selling my E-PM1 once I get the E-M5.

The screen on the E-P3 is, frankly amazing. Touch focus, once you get used to using it, is great. A lot of times I don't even bother as face detection is good enough. Capacitive touchscreens is where it's at. :biggrin:

Oh, and I only use my VF2 in really harsh bright conditions... otherwise it's the E-P3 screen.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's funny but I went from the GF2 to the E-PM1 as well. IN some ways I prefer the GF2 and some I prefer the E-PM1. I really wanted to love the E-PM1 and while I can appreciate it for what it offers on such a small package but I I too found it cramped and tended to not grab the E-PM1 when I wanted to shoot something. I am finding the E-P3 much more to my liking.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, if they swapped the insides of the E-PM1 with the outsides of the GF-2, that would be a very nice camera. I liked the GF2 usability, the bounceable flash, the touchscreen UI. I just didn't like the Pany colors/AWB. I had to significantly pp every pic I took with the GF2.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree, I thought the GF2 had very nice useable controls. I also appreciate what Olympus has done with the E-PM1. It really is remarkably useable given the scarcity of controls. It's a terrific design in that way. That said, I prefer a bit larger body so the E-P3 really appealed to me. As far as Panasonic color vs Olympus color, I have never really been bothered by Panasonic color. I run my G2 in Dynamic mode and set exposure compensation to underexpose by 2/3 and I have found it to be quite nice. The AWB in the Olympus is much better though.

9. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Nice pick up, the E-P3 is a great camera! I had it for a month or so and loved the super fast AF (with kit lens) but was slow on the 20 though =/ I love the capacitive touch screen on the E-P3 more than the resistive kind on the G3. But yeah, after using the E-P3 with the super fast AF, it's kind of hard going back.

Anyways, I too am kinda thinking of getting a camera to use while I wait for the E-M5 as I have no camera right now, only the film SRT101. Oh well I'll probably wait it out lol

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    No doubt the E-P3 is an amazing camera....and frankly they are a STEAL on the used market right now. It also WOWed me how fast everything about it was.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I've had some time with the E-P3 and I must say that I am finding it a mixed bag. Some stuff I REALLY like about the cameras and some stuff I'm not so fond of. First off I am still hugely impressed at how fast it is. It makes my E-P1 seem primitive in that regard. Among its likable qualities are terrific metering, Auto WB and an absolutely gorgeous screen. It isn't any more useful than the E-P1 screen in bright sunlight but it is incredible none the less. I also love the capacitive touch screen (nicely done Olympus). I have it paired up with my Panasonic 20 and Olympus 45 and together they make a nice little combination (although oddly the 45 seems to hunt less on my G2 than the E-P3). I can't really argue with the IQ either, it's terrific though not that much better than any of my previous PEN bodies or G/GF bodies.

Unfortunately I am really finding it hard to bond with. I find it a bit uncomfortable to hold, The VF2 looks clumsy and while it is bright and clear...so is the EVF on my G2 (and I would argue a bit better). I also find that since I started using the mini DSLR form factor the PEN body style is less appealing to me than it once was. I don't find it particularly comfortable to hold, and I find the dual dial arrangement inelegant by comparison. Of course much of this could be the lack of familiarity I have with the E-P3 so I plan to keep at it for a while and get used to the way it does things. I am hoping to learn to love it. My biggest issue with the camera is that I find it...well to be blunt...kind of blah.