A Day in Utrecht, The Netherlands

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Pim, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Went for a small trip today to the city of Utrecht, about 80 kilometers from my hometown. It has a similar canal system as Amsterdam (albeit a little smaller of course), and a famous church (Domkerk), amongst other sights. Great place for a leisurely stroll... All pictures with Oly E-PL2 and E-PL3 and assorted native lenses (mainly Panny 20mm and Oly 9-18)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for looking, hope you like one or two.

Cheers, Pim
    • Like Like x 20
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

stunning indeed
    • Like Like x 1
  3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Cool photos! My main critique would be in your photos with the canals. Make sure that you focus on the closer subjects of the photo. First, the depth of field extends rearward more than it extends close to you. Second, if the foreground is in focus, but it gently fades to the background being a bit blurred, it looks natural. The way you have shot it, the close-up arches are blurry, which makes the photos seem "off."
  4. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice set of images. My favorite is #2.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks guys! @ Shnitz: Yeah I noticed that as well when uploading the pictures. For these canal pictures I had to use the 40-150 zoom (I had to stay back quite a bit as to not lose "line of sight", and therefore had to go in closer with the telezoom) and did not want to stop the apperture down too much to keep the best possible IQ. I guess DOF suffered a bit... I will keep that in mind next time, thanks for the constructive feedback, always appreciated!
  6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Very nice, Pim, I didn't know that Utrecht had such a nice center .
    C U,
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Timos L

Timos L Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Timos :)
    I like no5, very nice composition of the arcs and their reflections.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    Thanks for posting these . Fabulous images.It's reminded me how beautiful Utrecht is...and the rest of the Netherlands..
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    A very nice set of images. I see you've really paid attention to getting everything square and symmetrical. The b&w conversions are well done.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks! Yes, if I want a picture to be symmetrical I take a lot of effort to get that as accurate as possible out of camera. Post-processing can correct a lot, but you can never add anything of course, so you end up "throwing away" pixels if you need to crop or straighten the horizon for instance... So yes if I am not happy with the picture that I see on my LCD screen I will often shoot another one, till I am satisfied...:)
  11. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Absolutely stunning! All of them!! I would love to see the difference in colour but B&W has always been a favourite!!
  12. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Great set!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  13. PetitP

PetitP Mu-43 Regular

Very nice Pim :),
    Your set makes me want to visit Utrecht (I am in Den Haag) now. Visited Gouda recently, I can advise this little town as well....as many others in NL.
    I had a little question. How did you do the post processing ?
  14. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Very nice pics! I really enjoy Utrecht. Are the 2nd and 3rd pics from Domkerk? Wel mooi! I bet you could get some awesome shots around Utrecht Centraal too! Groetjes :)
  15. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Bill, I include a few of the color versions, straight Jpegs these, not processed in any way... for some I thought the color was OK, but I prefer B&W these days, I am more about lines, patterns, prespective, contrast etc and I just think that works better in B&W for most pictures.. Then again, it may just be a phase...:)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  16. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks! Yes Utrecht is definitely worth a visit on a nice day, not only great to wander around with the camera, but plenty of nice small winding roads with loads of restaurants and bars... And of course not to far from Den haag...:) Never really been to Gouda (recently at least), thanks for the tip.!

As for PP, these were all shot RAW, some minor changes in Lightroom if needed (really just very slight cropping and / or straigtening, even though I prefer to do that while taking the picture, but sometimes on the big screen you still notice small errors) and finished in Silver Efex plugin... Just a little bump in contrast, reduce exposure a little, add some clarity and finish with very light vignetting and a border... I think this plugin does wonders for B&W processing... Well, I like it anyway!
  17. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks! I take it you visited Utrecht? The church is indeed the Domkerk... Did not really take any pictures at Centraal Station (maybe next time), had a few well deserved beers after my walk instead...:) Groeten!
  18. PetitP

PetitP Mu-43 Regular

Great and clear explanations :).
    This Silver Efex (that I have seen elsewhere in this forum) does wonders just as you said.
    I guess I really have to consider it.

19. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Pim, your B&W images are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with us. --Warren
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I am glad that you posted the color versions as well. I love them, great pictures.
    • Like Like x 1