A day at the shipyard

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by laser8, Oct 11, 2013.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Many, probably most of you, have never thought that more than three quarters of the stuff you have around you was transported by a ship. Seaborne trade is a big industry, rarely under the spotlights (and when it is, it's usually negative publicity) - but it has a lot of history, and is still alive and kicking. Everything around an average ship is measured in thousands: working hours, tonnes of steel, cubic metres of capacity, you name it.

I managed to visit a ship ready to start its life just yesterday, and wanted to share some pics.

Here she is, with her sister (a ship of the same design) in the background:
    Newbuild by Cadenela, on Flickr

Going 15 meters up the gangway, this is the view:
    Gangway by Cadenela, on Flickr

As I arrived on deck, there was a firedrill going on:
    Fire drill by Cadenela, on Flickr

I then went for a round and started from the engineroom - here is the head of the engine (more than 8500 kW power, burning 30 tons of fuel a day):
    Engine by Cadenela, on Flickr

A view from the Master's office:
    Deck from Master's office by Cadenela, on Flickr

And one of the bridge:
    Bridge by Cadenela, on Flickr

I then went on deck, here you can see the ship's bell:
    Bell by Cadenela, on Flickr

And the funnell, with the company's flag:
    Funnell by Cadenela, on Flickr

A view of the slipway, where ships meet the sea for the first time, through a line eye:
    Slipway by Cadenela, on Flickr

I then went off the ship - here you can see the draft marks and load line (called Plimsoll mark):
    Load line by Cadenela, on Flickr

And of the bow:
    Bow by Cadenela, on Flickr

And the people who built her:
    Workers by Cadenela, on Flickr

At the end an interesting, often overlooked bit - all the halls still bear the austrian names on the front, as the shipyard used to be the austrian war arsenal, in the old days...
    Austrian hall by Cadenela, on Flickr

All taken with a GX1 and PL25. Thanks for looking!
    • Like Like x 15
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Enjoyable set...thanks
  3. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    really great evocative set. shows off both your eye, framing talent and wonderful lens.
  4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I did some work with Baltic Shipping back in 2005 and had an opportunity to visit the Ship repair facility in KlaipÄ—da, Lithuania. Looking at how nice this new ship is, it's pretty amazing just how fast the upper works on a ship can decay, and need to be replaced. They were chopping off whole sections and dropping in replacement pieces the size of a hose while I was there.
  5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Wonderful set!
  6. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Thanks to all!

@Majormagee - yes salt water can do magic on steel! Maintenance is very important on those things...

Sorry for the late reply, I'm picking olives from dawn till dusk. Yesterday it was rainy so the camera was in the car, but it looks like today will be sunny so hopefully tomorrow I'll give you an insight on that too!
  7. Reynard

Reynard Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2012
    Cleethorpes, UK
    Really interesting set and good photos. Nice access to the ship which gives us a view you don't always see. Thanks.