A Creative Edge in Photography by Robert Watcher

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Robert Watcher, May 2, 2010.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I am a full time portrait and wedding photographer from Ontario Canada. My first paid job was in 1979. For the past 8+ years, all of my work comes to me by means of my website robertwatcher.com .

I am known in some parts of the photographic community for pushing the limits when it comes to a grungier look that I prefer in my images. I also prefer when possible to use small light weight cameras and lenses that many times are not designed for professional use. I do not subcribe to the need for expensive and fast professional cameras and lenses to be qualified as a professional and artistic photographer. I believe that it is the creative abilities of the photographer - not his/her gear that can set them apart and provide a unique style.

In 1986 I developed my LOVE STORY SESSION which was quite different from the traditional Engagement Pictures of the time (which I did not take). As a result of my being on several popular photogrpahy forums for several years and displaying my Love Story shoots - many photographers have tried to emulate my style, and many have taken the name "Love Story" to describe their own engagement sessions. Of course nowadays the style of engagement session or as some call it "eSession" - is quite different from the old days and it is much harder for me to define my style as a unique and quite different concept - as it once was.

[​IMG]
    Engaged Actors from the Stratford Shakespeare Festival - Early Morning Love Story Session in Coffee Shop

A huge project for my wife and I has been our extended trips to Costa Rica where we have lived among the locals and documented our days activites in Word, Photo and Video while there. Our popular website while there is our `Travel Virgins`site at Travel Virgins : Costa Rica Adventures of Rob and Anne Watcher : As If We Know Dot Com.

I also am a long time PHP hand coder and web designer and Website Hosting provider - and have provided several of my valuable web scripts to photographers over the years, like my OnePageGallery for simple proofing - - - along with providing quality fast page load web hosting.

I have been a dedicated Olympus user since the early 1980`s. After a short stint using Nikon Digital Slr`s during the early years of 2000, I returned to using Olympus cameras when the E-3 was released. I have recently purchased amy first Micro four thirds camera - the E-PL1 - - - after much anticipation in hopes of it being a great companion for my documentary work.

I look forward to checking in here and following the posts.

(Rob)ert Watcher

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Rob, welcome to the forum and thanks for telling us about yourself. Wonderful to have you join us!

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Rob, glad you found your way here to mu-43.com and I look forward to your involvement here.

4. SamSam

SamSam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Welcome Rob

Welcome Rob,
    I look forward to your insights on photography and your reactions to the 43.

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Hey welcome Rob. Thanks for your story and I hope that we can learn bits and Pieces from you as time goes on. Inexperienced people like me look up to you older proffensional guys.

Tonight I'll check out a few of your links.

Thanks again
    icon

6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hey Rob, great to see you here! :smile: