A couple questions for g9 users, from an olympus only shooter

millhoud

Mu-43 Regular
Yes. As I said, you can't set the shutter speed the same as the interval as it will drop frames, so you need to give the camera some extra time between frames.

For instance, on a one second interval, setting a shutter speed of 1/1.3 will ensure all frames are recorded.
this is another thing i'm failing to understand: why should the camera drop frames if the shutter speed is 1 second and the interval between shots also 1 second?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Depends on the camera processing the image faster than one second. Would depend on the camera and write speeds. I'll test the G9 later today.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
why should the camera drop frames if the shutter speed is 1 second and the interval between shots also 1 second?
Because the camera starts the interval timing after the shutter closes. So at zero seconds it takes the first pic. Since the shutter is open for 1 second, and then the one second is waited before the next release, 2 seconds went by, not 1. So you end up with a pict taken every other second instead of every second.

millhoud

Mu-43 Regular
Because the camera starts the interval timing after the shutter closes. So at zero seconds it takes the first pic. Since the shutter is open for 1 second, and then the one second is waited before the next release, 2 seconds went by, not 1. So you end up with a pict taken every other second instead of every second.
yes of course! A little misunderstanding here! Thanks

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
do you own a g9? Can you confirm about the focal lenght settings being similar to oly om-d (like 8-10-12-16-20....up to a 1000.) or as i undestand from reading the manual one can insert some discreet numbers (it says only 3 lenghts) ?
Unfortunately I only have the G85.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
A little misunderstanding here
Yeah and I am not helping much. According to my explanation above... if you set the interval for 5 seconds, and the shutter speed for 4 seconds, you'd get a shot every 9 seconds (and this is not what happens). The shutter speed time is not added to the interval, the camera just needs time for the shutter to close before the next timed interval, otherwise that interval is skipped.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Thanks a lot to everyone!
Ok, i'm fine with the stacking issues, it is weird about the flash, i must say.
The focal lenghts setting, according to @ScottinPollock seems to be similar to olympus settings, but the screenshot of the g9 manual i posted above says "a focal lenght from 0.1 (?????) to 1000mm can be used". Well i don't think i'll ever see a 0.1mm lens 😁, so there must be some mistake in the manual.
Hope someone could answer the time-lapse delay between shots doubt i have, since not being able to photograph lightning decently would be an actual letdown for me.
If you look at the screen photo it has four digits before a decimal, then a single digit. It is adjustable from 0000.1 to 1000.0, per the manual. I will check when I get home, but if memory serves there are no gaps or every-other number settings, you can input whatever you want. It is not a mistake. The camera recognizes the manual lens and activate focus peaking automatically, same as if you changed autofocus switch on a standard lens.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I will have to try setting the focal lengths when using manual focus lenses, so I have not bothered. Be interesting to see if it makes a real difference. But I have only used short focal lengths so far.

great, thank you and @Brownie as well very much!
You're welcome
I will have to try setting the focal lengths when using manual focus lenses, so I have not bothered. Be interesting to see if it makes a real difference. But I have only used short focal lengths so far.
Maybe you already know this but you don't need a manual focus lens to try this. Just have the camera on without a lens and it will assume you're using a mf lens and pits you straight into the mf focal length menu.

millhoud

Mu-43 Regular
You're welcome

Maybe you already know this but you don't need a manual focus lens to try this. Just have the camera on without a lens and it will assume you're using a mf lens and pits you straight into the mf focal length menu.
though the manual says that one can register "up to three focal lenghts": does that mean that in actual use you can choose only between those three (and chenge them accordingly, but seems a little time-consuming) or that you can add three over a preexisting set of "usual" lenghts?

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
though the manual says that one can register "up to three focal lenghts": does that mean that in actual use you can choose only between those three (and chenge them accordingly, but seems a little time-consuming) or that you can add three over a preexisting set of "usual" lenghts?
It means you can program three into the camera for quick access. At the bottom of the screen it shows three touch points. I'm not sure if it saves the last three or you can enter them and save, I've never tried.

It means you can program three into the camera for quick access. At the bottom of the screen it shows three touch points. I'm not sure if it saves the last three or you can enter them and save, I've never tried.
As Brownie mentioned, you can program three for quick access. I just tried it myself and you can indeed save 3 focal lengths as presets and to answer your question Millhoud, you can program and select between the three or you can type in your desired focal length separate from the presets. You don't even have to use the presets if you don't want to, just dial your focal length and that's it. The presets are customizible so you can always change them at any time. Think of it like a radio tuner, you can manually search for radio stations or select between the presets.

And to answer Brownies uncertainty regarding the presets, no, it doesn't save your last three focal lengths used. If you want to change the presets, you have to change them manually.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I just checked. You can set any focal length you want down to the decimal. So if you have one of those very common 846.3mm lenses, you're all set.

And as TC said, you can save up to three of your favorites.

When you turn the camera on and it senses a manual lens, it first tells you what the set focal length it and asks if you want to change it. Answer yes and it takes you to the next screen where you can enter the focal length or choose one of your presets.

millhoud

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks everybody, you dissolved my doubts!
I had another idea for the live-composite substitute: would continuus shutter (maybe electronic?), setting a remote shutter to bulb, and the camera shutter to the desired time (1 to 4 sec approx), just let me record almost continually? I know having 200-300 frames to choose from might not be too practical, but since the g9 has those super fast bursts it might have an easier way for bulk erasing unuseful files?

millhoud

Mu-43 Regular
Just tried on my em-5 mII and a wired remote on bulb and electronic continuous shutter on high provide "almost seamless" (there is a small time between shots, but far below 1 sec) recording of 2 and 4 seconds shots. If the one second electronic shutter limit on the g9 gets confirmed it's sorrily another point for the oly. Been trying to understand the g9 manual about e-shutter but it seems a lot different from the oly implementation, that allows you to choose electronic freely. Now i am puzzled again ☹

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
some Olympus flashes can be set to fire with the camera for stacking and bracketing
Actually, with the E-M1.2 (at least), you can do it with any flash that has a predictable charge time. You simply set a wait time between shots that is long enough for them to recharge. I use it with Speedotron studio strobes!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom