A couple questions about the mu-ft roadmap?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Fish, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and up until now have been pretty isolated from mu-43 discussion and news. I would really appreciate any input (including hunches and wild speculation) you have regarding a couple of upcoming lenses.

A little background: After owning both an E-510 and a E-P1, I decided that micro fourthirds was perfect for my needs, and sold the E-510 (I know, I should have kept it as a backup but I never had a desire to use it after the PEN). With my E-P1 I use the panasonic 20mm almost exclusively, supplemented with what I believe is a fairly nice selection of manual focus lenses.

My problem: although I no longer have a body to use them on, I am having a hard time parting with my ZD 12-60mm and ZD 50mm macro lens. I am not really keen on the idea of buying an expensive adapter just to use these lenses with crippled AF performance, but the thought of parting with them pains me a little.

Questions:
    1) Do you believe that the mu-43 50mm macro (if it's released) will be as good as the 4/3 version?
    2) Will there be (or is there already) a mu-43 zoom of the same caliber as the 12-60mm?
    3) Or, do you think we will see a mu-43 body in the future that will give us full advantage (even SWD) with 4/3 lenses?

I'm sorry for the long post, but I have been losing sleep over this one :tongue: . Do you think I will be safe to sell these two gems, or will we be stuck later with no suitable substitutes?

Thank you!

Chad

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would use them with the adapter until the m43s versions come out. Olympus seems to be really taking their time releasing new product.

If you want a macro now, there is the panaleica 45/2.8

3. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks TC, that is probably very good advice - compared to what I have spent so far on these lenses, the adapter wouldn't be a big investment. Who knows, maybe I will find that the AF isn't as much of a problem as some people say...

And thanks for the panaleica suggestion, I will look into that. It isn't so much that I need the lens for the macro capabilities (I have a lovely Tamron 90mm f2.5 macro that I can use for that). And I didn't buy the ZD 50mm just for that particular focal length either. What makes the ZD 50 so valuable to me is the "magic" of it. It was the stunner that always produced my best images, and was always the one I reached for when the shot had to look exceptional. I am hoping that the mu-43 50mm will have the same uncompromised image quality.

Chad

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you want a low price macro solution get the 35mm 3.5 with the 4/3 adapter. The whole setup is sub 300 dollars. And unlike the z 50mm macro. the z35mm 3.5 is a true 1:1 macro lens.

5. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Personally, I'm waiting for the M.Zuiko 50mm macro (early next year, according to the roadmap). I was hoping to get one that doubles as a portrait lens and I think 35mm will be too short. AF speed is also a consideration.

I'm also hoping that the price of the new lens will be similar to the Zuiko 50mm, making it comparable in price with the 35mm once an adapter is factored in.

6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I hope the new macro will be a true 1:1 macro, but I am sure it will get olympus's new msc af motors. So it will be faster then the adapter method in AF.

7. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Yes, I am not as concerned with the macro ability of the lens as I am with the optical quality and since I already own the ZD 50mm, I think the 35mm would be a step backwards.
    I am hoping that the M.Zuiko is a killer lens that will work for portraits.

- Chad

8. Jerry_R

Jerry_R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2010
    I don't understand you guys. Maybe the thread should be names "u43 OLYMPUS lenses"?

If you want quality - use 43 lenses (both O & P) or Panasonic u43.
    If you want small and cheap - buy Olympus u43.

Or wait until Olympus will release SHG quality u43 lenses, who knows when.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'd hold on to the lenses, it's not that much of a burden. There are strong rumours that Olympus will be introducing something; a body, adapter, power grip, or something like a modern equivalent to the Leica Visoflex system (which actually works with m4/3s), that will allow the use of both 4/3s and m4/3s lenses without AF performance loss etc.

Cheers

Ray

10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    well the new lens is not cheap, it is 440 dollar vs the 300 for the metal mount. If they release a epl1s here, it would be way more expensive then the epl-1. And it is a plastic mount like the 40-150mm

11. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks Ray! That would be awesome news indeed.

Chad

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Put it this way, my 4/3s lens collection consists of: 8mm, 7-14mm, 14-35mm, 35-100mm and 90-250mm. I'm not about to start selling these off just yet. Reading more than between the lines from some of the Olympus Japan interviews, these will continue to work with the designs that Olympus are working on right now.

Cheers

Ray

13. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I wouldn't sell it for the hope something in the future will be better, just grab the adaptor and use it now and enjoy it.
    if something does come along, great. otherwise, you still get to use your fantastic lens :)

14. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I have stepped back from the brink and will hold on to these lenses for the time being.

(That's a great collection of lenses Ray!)